Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Invites to Spring Training

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries

Invites to Spring Training

On the Twins Transactions page, they are now showing non roster Spring Training Invites.
    http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/team/...13&team_id=142
    Thought that little change was kinda cool and something to share here.

Blog Entries
    Here's the list of non-roster invites with stated position listed so far
    SS Doug Bernier
    SS Jason Bartlett
    2B James Beresford
    RHP Deolis Guerra
    CF Jermaine Mitchell
    RF Wilken Ramirez
    LF Chris Rahl
    RHP Lester Oliveros
    C Dan Rohlfing
    3B Debinson Romero
    LHP Aaron Thompson

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Those were the ones that they announced on Wednesday in their press release. Shortly after the holidays, they will announce the others (likely Sano, Rosario (?), Meyer and some others).

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Many of these are quality AAA fillers. A couple could still be labeled as prospects with some potential: Beresford, Oliveros primarily. I wonder at Rohfling being a useful utility guy. And despite someone named Sano climbing the ladder, am I the only one who has intrigue as to what a healthy Romero could do over a whole season?

Another question: why does no one consider Hermann and/or Rohfling for some time at 3B? Unless am I grossly mistaken, the athletic Hermann played some in college and Rohfling has shown himself to also be fairly athletic and versatile. Wouldn't this increase their MLB potential and versatility?

Blog Entries
    Also, very, very intrigued by a healthy and fully rehabbed Barlett might have to offer. Perhaps no longer as a starter, but as a possible reserve.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Many of these are quality AAA fillers. A couple could still be labeled as prospects with some potential: Beresford, Oliveros primarily. I wonder at Rohfling being a useful utility guy. And despite someone named Sano climbing the ladder, am I the only one who has intrigue as to what a healthy Romero could do over a whole season?

Another question: why does no one consider Hermann and/or Rohfling for some time at 3B? Unless am I grossly mistaken, the athletic Hermann played some in college and Rohfling has shown himself to also be fairly athletic and versatile. Wouldn't this increase their MLB potential and versatility?
    What did Herrmann hit in the MLB last year?
    And what did he hit in AAA?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 473 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Beresford--nice story, but his hit tool is powerless and he doesn't have game-changing speed. I'd rather have Dozier, Florimon, and Escobar man the middle infield.

Rohlfing--much like Herrmann, he's versatile, can catch, but isn't much of an offensive threat (he hit better at a higher level). From what I can see, both guys only ever see the majors because they can capably play catcher and other positions.

Robinson--also no great shakes with the glove and certainly not a better offensive threat than Plouffe and how old is he? I checked and he is only three months younger than Plouffe.

I hope Oliveros survives the Rule 5. When healthy, he's been very good in the minors.

Liked 2,995 Times in 1,271 Posts
    Son of a ... ! Mine must have gotten lost in the mail AGAIN!
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

9. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (11-26-2013)

Every team has this on their roster page. Most of the free agents, as they were signed, were issued an invite to spring training. Will be interested to see what minor leagues guys are added (and they always add the catching depth in the organization).

Of course, we might lose someone in the Rule 5 (Oliveros).
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 199 Times in 120 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Son of a ... ! Mine must have gotten lost in the mail AGAIN!
    You too?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    What did Herrmann hit in the MLB last year?
    And what did he hit in AAA?
    Ah yes, point taken. BIG however, that is only one season, and first season at that. In his milb stops to this point, Hermann has never repeated a full season at any level. And he has shown the ability to adapt and grow when asked to begin the next season at a level before outgrowing that level and advancing. Quick calculations show his milb career to be around a composite .265 AV with an OB% of .355, some 90 points higher!

He is, by all accounts I have heard or read, a solid receiver and good enough athlete to have played 1B and 3B in college and even the OF, including a little CF. A LHP hitting, athletic, quality C with the ability to make contact and get on base as well as fill in occasionally at other positions could make him a valuable reserve player if he can continue to have BA and OB splits anywhere close to what he has shown thus far in his development.

Rohfling is a lesser bat, but younger, and apparently liked by the Twins. (At least as an organizational player) Isn't this at least the 2nd year he's been invited to camp?

I believe Hermann is the kind of athlete with useful versatility to cultivate.

13. This user likes DocBauer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (11-26-2013)

Blog Entries
    On a side note, I think Oliveros is a potential sleeper

Blog Entries
    The last couple years the Twins have invited a LOT of catchers because of all the AAAA pitchers if my memory serves correctly...

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,488 Times in 780 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Ah yes, point taken. BIG however, that is only one season, and first season at that. In his milb stops to this point, Hermann has never repeated a full season at any level. And he has shown the ability to adapt and grow when asked to begin the next season at a level before outgrowing that level and advancing. Quick calculations show his milb career to be around a composite .265 AV with an OB% of .355, some 90 points higher!

He is, by all accounts I have heard or read, a solid receiver and good enough athlete to have played 1B and 3B in college and even the OF, including a little CF. A LHP hitting, athletic, quality C with the ability to make contact and get on base as well as fill in occasionally at other positions could make him a valuable reserve player if he can continue to have BA and OB splits anywhere close to what he has shown thus far in his development.

Rohfling is a lesser bat, but younger, and apparently liked by the Twins. (At least as an organizational player) Isn't this at least the 2nd year he's been invited to camp?

I believe Hermann is the kind of athlete with useful versatility to cultivate.
    Teams draft a lot of catchers because so many bomb out before hitting the majors. A few make it as bench bats, some in the outfield, most fade into obscurity... It's a bit of a pipe dream to expect anything from Hermann. His absolute ceiling is Ryan Doumit.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Teams draft a lot of catchers because so many bomb out before hitting the majors. A few make it as bench bats, some in the outfield, most fade into obscurity... It's a bit of a pipe dream to expect anything from Hermann. His absolute ceiling is Ryan Doumit.
    I would agree, with one qualification: He has a chance to be a better defender. Doumit is too big and slow to be an effective backstop. Hermann is smaller and more agile, with better catching tools. You put Doumit's hit tool on a good defensive catcher and you have something like Salty. Now, I don't think Hermann has Salty upside, especially with power numbers. And Salty is a much better defender now and in the future than Hermann will ever be. But I do think Hermann can be a more effective back-up/utility catcher than Doumit.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I would agree, with one qualification: He has a chance to be a better defender. Doumit is too big and slow to be an effective backstop. Hermann is smaller and more agile, with better catching tools. You put Doumit's hit tool on a good defensive catcher and you have something like Salty. Now, I don't think Hermann has Salty upside, especially with power numbers. And Salty is a much better defender now and in the future than Hermann will ever be. But I do think Hermann can be a more effective back-up/utility catcher than Doumit.
    I think we're all souring on Doumit's defense a bit too much, probably b/c of the fangraphs articles on framing. Yes, he's bad but let's keep it in perspective. For his career, B-R has his dWAR at -1.6 and a lot of that looks like bad OF defense. And I know WAR doesn't measure everything that goes into catching but still, his bad defense is getting over rated a bit.

And I think Brock is over stating Herrmann's ceiling, I think he should be thrilled if he has a Junior Ortiz or Matt Walbeck type career.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    I got mine! They want me early, before Xmas, and Fantasy Camp which is the first week of the new year. I'm oiling my glove.

I'm really hoping to chat with some of our new signed players, who always seem to show up early.