Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Should Twins Offer Bronson Arroyo A Third Year?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I'd rather put the money into Garza. Arroyo has no chance of being a difference maker.

And I completely disagree with any theory that depends on Target Field somehow making any pitcher better than he actually is.
    No field can make a pitcher what they are not unless the fence is so far out so as to hinder the ability to hit a HR. Then you would need faster outfielders than Willingham and some of the others being played out there recently.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I'd rather put the money into Garza. Arroyo has no chance of being a difference maker.

And I completely disagree with any theory that depends on Target Field somehow making any pitcher better than he actually is.
    Arroyo has no chance of not being a difference maker.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The best thing about America is that Everyone is entitled to an opinion...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think a three year should result in an average annual value less than a 2 year contract just like the Vargas 4 year contract has a lower value then he could get on a 2 or 3 year deal.

I would prefer the 2nd pitcher be a lefty. I am ok with Kazmir or even Campuano. I think these 2 pitchers (Arroyo and Campuano) give the rotation a chance to be average with the bullpen making the overall staff slightly better than average. now if we can get average to slightly better than average offense so we can be a winning team remains to be seen.

Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You make blanket statements like this, but also make statements about how the Twins should find guys who just haven't been successful in their current environment for some reason. Seems pretty contradictory.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want the Twins to find guys who maximize the physical characteristics of their home playing environment. It's pretty easy to see how those players can represent greater value to the Twins than other teams.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    You make blanket statements like this, but also make statements about how the Twins should find guys who just haven't been successful in their current environment for some reason. Seems pretty contradictory.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want the Twins to find guys who maximize the physical characteristics of their home playing environment. It's pretty easy to see how those players can represent greater value to the Twins than other teams.
    Target Field will make Arroyo's personal numbers look better. It really doesn't help much in the win column. While Arroyo will be saved of giving up a few home runs, Twin left handed batters like Arcia and Mauer will also lose a few home runs. The net will be insignificant. If Arroyo's numbers are better because of Target Field, that illusion may help if the Twins are able to flip him in a trade. It won't help in the win column.

As always, USAFChief put it much more succinctly.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 670 Times in 379 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Target Field will make Arroyo's personal numbers look better. It really doesn't help much in the win column. While Arroyo will be saved of giving up a few home runs, Twin left handed batters like Arcia and Mauer will also lose a few home runs. The net will be insignificant. If Arroyo's numbers are better because of Target Field, that illusion may help if the Twins are able to flip him in a trade. It won't help in the win column.

That may be true on the macro level (I'm not convinced, I think that takes more analysis to determine), but in this context we're talking about Arroyo and the possible bang he brings for the bucks we shell out.

It just makes sense to target players that might thrive better than their skill-level because it represents money better spent. No one is arguing it's going to magically transform him. Just that he might get better results in this ballpark because of his tendencies.

It's just a smart thing to do. Utterly ignoring your home park tendencies is a good way to make bad player acquisitions if the fit isn't right.

Liked 3,169 Times in 1,356 Posts

Concur.

I'd add that you only play half your games at home, so even if there is some benefit, cut it in half.

I also don't think TF is the pitchers ballpark some assumed it to be based on SSS.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Another way to structure the contract is as a 2 year 24 million with the 3rd as an option with a 4 million buyout or 12 million salary. that would make the contract a 2/28 which is going to be the highest 2 year average he is gonna find or a 3 year 36 million which he is gonna have to be real bad and have internal replacements ready to go for us not to pick up the option.
    I had the same train of thought. $4M for nothing might seem like a bad business decision if it played out that way but it would be better than having $12M on the books if he just simply is no longer a compeitive SP. The same kind of deal might also work with Kazmir. You have to be a little skeptical of his resurgence but he might be a better bet given the age difference.

And for the record, I don't think I've ever made the argument the Twins should pursue player X because of Target Field.

Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    I had the same train of thought. $4M for nothing might seem like a bad business decision if it played out that way but it would be better than having $12M on the books if he just simply is no longer a compeitive SP. The same kind of deal might also work with Kazmir. You have to be a little skeptical of his resurgence but he might be a better bet given the age difference.
    After seeing the Vargas contract you have to wonder if there is a new trend developing going forward with 2nd or third tier players getting longer contracts at a lower annual average or if the bloated option fee to make for a higher AAV should the option not get picked up. I agree that Kazmir would be a better short term gamble based on talent but Arroyo is still more likely to throw 200 innings next year which is what the Twins are going to value over the talent level. Especially since the Twins overworked their bullpen so much last year.

Blog Entries
    Arcia and Mauer are already Twins. The impact of TF on them is completely independent of trying to sign a free agent pitcher whose batted ball profile would benefit from the characteristics of TF. The decision is Arroyo vs another FA.

As Levi pointed out, it's money better spent compared to signing a comparable pitcher with a different profile. No, the difference isn't going to win the World Series next year, but you certainly can't rule out a potential win difference.

Blog Entries
    I'd add that you only play half your games at home, so even if there is some benefit, cut it in half.

I also don't think TF is the pitchers ballpark some assumed it to be based on SSS.
    I'd argue the Twins need any benefit they can find... why would you ignore it?

No one here is saying TF is a pitcher's ballpark. It's actually pretty neutral across most categories -- except HRs for LHB. Hence, a right-handed pitcher with flyball tendences such as Garza, Arroyo, or Hughes might be a little better fits.

And for the record, I don't think I've ever made the argument the Twins should pursue player X because of Target Field.
    No, but there's a pretty solid case to be made that you should...

No one here is saying TF is a pitcher's ballpark. It's actually pretty neutral across most categories -- except HRs for LHB. Hence, a right-handed pitcher with flyball tendences such as Garza, Arroyo, or Hughes might be a little better ...
    They might. Or we might learn TF really doesn't suppress HRs for LH batters.

I would rather wager on talented pitching suppressing runs.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 670 Times in 379 Posts

I would rather wager on talented pitching suppressing runs.
    I think we'd all rather just go and sign Robbie Cano or someone whose talent speaks for itself. But when you're dabbling in the middle of the pack, identifying tendencies in players that might better fit your park (like Willingham fitting better than Kubel), then it makes sense to make better use of your money in that way.

You "only" play half your games at home, but that half can make a very big difference for many players. Home/Road splits are important to look at for that very reason.

Blog Entries
    And we might also learn that the moon landing really was a farce after all these years. We can choose to be skeptical of everything for ever, but I'd think we could commonly accept most things.

Four seasons of data says that it is true. If that's not enough, I'm really not sure what would satisfy that inner-skepticism of everything. 2020? 2040? Maybe global warming will shift the wind currents by then and you'll be right after all.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfireman View Post
    Alright sports fans, how about we look at things with a dose of reality.

Gibson might make the team out of spring training, Meyer should be here around the all-star break, maybe sooner. Mays might get a September call up, but probably 2015, along with Darnell. The big guns, Stewart, Berrios & Gonsalves arrive 2016, and there are other names on the prospect list that will get shots during this time period.

Okay now, the team has to get to these kids and maybe have some veteran leadership to help guide them along. 3 year contracts would be best, but then you are getting Arroyo, Capuano, etc... older type pitchers that (hopefully) eat innings.

To get Garza, Nolasco, Santana, or Jiminez they would have to go 4 or 5 years, thereby postponing the arrival of prospects or putting the team in the position of having to try to trade them after 3 years, which sends a bad message to future free agents about signing here.

If the team (and I mean Ryan) sticks to past protocol, we'll see one (or two) of Kazmir, Floyd, Pelfrey, Hughes, Capuano and maybe Narveson on a one or two year make good deal and Arroyo or whoever will take 2 or 3 years guaranteed.

I personally would like to see Garza for 4 or 5, Arroyo for 3 and Kazmir or Pelfrey (preferably Kazmir because he is LH) for 1 or 2. This gives the team a veteran presence for a few years and allows a rehab project a chance to rebuild value while not holding back any prospects.
    I think you need to take a different dose of reality. I would be absolutely shocked if the Twins had TOO MANY good starters at any point in the future. Good pitching prospects close to the majors still have high bust rates. And a lot of those prospects that you named aren't even close to the majors.

And we might also learn that the moon landing really was a farce after all these years. We can choose to be skeptical of everything for ever, but I'd think we could commonly accept most things.

Four seasons of data says that it is true. If that's not enough, I'm really not sure what would satisfy that inner-skepticism of everything. 2020? 2040? Maybe global warming will shift the wind currents by then and you'll be right after all.
    Many were convinced TF suppressed HRs and offense for all hitters after a season or two as well.

If you believe TF will make certain pitchers appear better than they are, fine. I don't think that will happen, but even if I grant you that as fact, it doesn't address the primary issue spelled out above...it won't result in more wins becaus opposing pitchers will get the same benefit when they pitch in TF.

People seem to be lumping a lot of pitchers into a couple of categories. Just because Vargas and Arroyo both soft toss does NOT mean they are the same pitcher. I'd MUCH rather have Arroyo at 3yrs for more money than Vargas for any amount of time at any amount of money. 3/$36M would be a steal for the Twins, consideriing it does not appear pitchers are lining up to come here. Now, this assumes we're still in on Nolasco, Kazmir (preferrably) and others. If we pick up Arroyo and then fill out the rest of the rotation with Diamond, Pelfrey et al I will be mighty disappointed. I wish those that are commenting negatively about Arroyo would actually watch him pitch. He would also be a great leader and teacher for our young pitcher(s) coming up...

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would a third year of Arroyo at age 40-41 be better than some of the guys we have in the minors? Not the top prospect guys, but guys like Darnell, Baxendale, etc. I would rather see what those guys can do than have a pitcher over the age of 40. I'm not in favor of a third year.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast