Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hypothetical: Would you have traded Joe Mauer for Fielder or Kinsler?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Sorry, I should have included a link.

http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/fie...ler/#more-1092
    No problem. Thanks for the link. I'd point, out, though, that that list is a list of the highest contracts by players 28 and older, not the 10 worst contracts. He doesn't list the Twins as a team that would redo a contract from that list, but I'm not actually so sure.

He he also has a clear bias that he seems to expect FA to be worth what they are paid , but that's nearly impossible with these contracts. Teams are often paying a premium price for a rare, unique talent and demand is driven up by competition. Not that I disagree with his premise overall, that these are very risky contracts but teams certainly hope they're the exception.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Re: health - Let's not forget that Joe has had his share of health problems, far more than Fielder has. No doubt, a lot of that is related to catching, but he's had knee issues, back issues and first basemen (as we know) aren't immune from repeat concussions.

As for the fielding, according to UZR, Fielder was a whole 5 runs worse than the average 1B last year. The very best first baseman, Mike Napoli, was just 9 runs better than average. Fourteen runs isn't that hard to overcome. In fact, last year, Fielder outpaced Joe by 20 runs offensively according to Runs Created. And that was in Fielder's "down" year. It's hard to hurt or help your team much defensively at first base.

I don't know how strongly I feel about that trade, but I think if you talked to people nationally, they would side with Fielder in this equation, especially with the $30M. I could be wrong.

No to both. As for the comments on Fielder: keep in mind this is a guy who has minimal role on D, plays for strikeout/flyball pitchers, and was I a line-up that was pretty solid. Mauer is: better defensively, plays (recently) for a horrible pitching staff, and was the best hitter on his team by miles. Add in the fact that Joe is a homegrown talent and it's just a huge no. Plus, I live in Detroit right now and everyone is really down on Fielder, and that is without them being on his case about conditioning.

My favorite part of this discussion, though, is seeing all the support for Mauer. It is easy to get mad about his production sometimes, but when it comes down to it, we all love him.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Re: health - Let's not forget that Joe has had his share of health problems, far more than Fielder has. No doubt, a lot of that is related to catching, but he's had knee issues, back issues and first basemen (as we know) aren't immune from repeat concussions.

As for the fielding, according to UZR, Fielder was a whole 5 runs worse than the average 1B last year. The very best first baseman, Mike Napoli, was just 9 runs better than average. Fourteen runs isn't that hard to overcome. In fact, last year, Fielder outpaced Joe by 20 runs offensively according to Runs Created. And that was in Fielder's "down" year. It's hard to hurt or help your team much defensively at first base.

I don't know how strongly I feel about that trade, but I think if you talked to people nationally, they would side with Fielder in this equation, especially with the $30M. I could be wrong.
    Those are good points about Mauer but there are reasons to be optimistic about his health with a move to first base.

RC is a counting stat, so games played is a big factor. Joe was almost two points higher than Fielder in RC/27. If Fielder continues to be healthier, or rather Mauer continues to be unhealthy, then the counting aspect of that stat will become more relevant. However, if Mauer had played closer to 140 games last season he would have outpaced Fielder.

Great topic to consider! Imagining hometown hero Mauer come in and play 9/10 games a year at Target Field for the loathed Tigers (not quite as bad as the Chi-Six, but darn close), coupled with the image of Fielder striking out again (and again) in the ALCS gives me great pause, even before considering the other factors (power, weight, durability, etc.). As long as Mauer's concussions don't cause a problem down the road (still a relatively big "if" to someone who remembers Morneau and Koskie's issues), I can't imagine trading him for anyone except that elite list of 10-12 players (like who Shane Wahl mentioned).

Liked 147 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SDTwinsFan View Post
    My favorite part of this discussion, though, is seeing all the support for Mauer. It is easy to get mad about his production sometimes, but when it comes down to it, we all love him.
    When it comes down to it, he has been a great player. As much as we'd love every year to be like 2009 for him, he has still been very productive even when hitting 10 HRs.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    If the Twins were a 85 win team that was looking to contend I would love to get a guy like Prince. Comparisons to his father are silly. They were both big but that's about where the comparison stops. Prince is a responsible adult while his father never made it out his teens mentally. I think Prince is going to have 5 really good years (better than last year) followed by a couple of average or worse ones to finish the contract. Overall he will earn his contract and I wouldn't have a problem paying it (with the Pohlad's money).

But I wouldn't trade Mauer for Fielder in the Twins current situation or in the hypothetical one.

I wouldn't even consider making the trade for Kinsler. That is justifiable only for financial reasons and the Twins have plenty of free money to spend.

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    As for the question itself, I find it interesting. I, too, wouldn't trade Mauer for Kinsler or Fielder but trading Mauer for one or more other players is not inconceivable to me.
    Last edited by USAFChief; 11-22-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: remove moderation

Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I'm surprised. I'm a big Mauer guy, but I think I'd trade him for Fielder and definitely would with the $30M as part of the deal. But I'm also high on Fielder. I think the negative view towards him is driven mostly by a late season slump that extended into the postseason and the fact that we all tend not to trust fat people.

Im thinking a bit note here - with the other hitters coming up, who would fit the lineup better? Do you want a Fielder-Sano power platoon, or a more traditional 3/4 with a Mauer and Sano? Buxton as a 3 in front of the sluggers is fun to think about - but maybe I'd rather he's clear if them a bit, so he's more likely to steal bases. Hmmmm.....
    I'm with you John...big Mauer guy.

It got me thinking...

I'm curious about Miguel Cabrera will do without Fielder protecting him, every day. Curious who they'll find to bat behind Cabrera. My personal feeling that helped Cabrera tremendously to have his best seasons ever while at age 29 and 30 seasons instead of before.

Based on Prince's hit chart for 2013, he would have had 6 more HR if he had played in Rangers park, just on where the balls he hit landed. Hottter air in Texas (I live here in Dallas) would probably give another 3-4 HRs. So 6-10 HR to add to Prince's numbers, assuming the same hit chart in 2014 for the Rangers. So 31-35 HR.

I can't find his spray/hit chart for 2012.

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/ballpark_overlay.php

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/...prince-fielder

And to the question. Kinsler, not in a million years.

Fielder...a maybe, if the Twins were still in the Homerdome...but, no, for the Twins at Target Field.

anyone know where to find 2012 or older spray charts?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I don't think Prince had 1 thing to do with protecting Cabrera. It is not unusual for elite players to have great seasons at 29, 30, or beyond.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's surprising how many people would at least consider the Fielder trade, thought I'd be in a tiny minority there.

It might be interesting to re-frame a Kinsler deal with the caveat that such a trade would come with a hypothetical assurance that the Twins would use the surplus payroll from the deal to help them sign their first legit free agent 1/2 starter ever to a long-term deal.

Also, does this thread get taken seriously or even created if Mauer is still catching? Gonna guess no.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    It's surprising how many people would at least consider the Fielder trade, thought I'd be in a tiny minority there.

It might be interesting to re-frame a Kinsler deal with the caveat that such a trade would come with a hypothetical assurance that the Twins would use the surplus payroll from the deal to help them sign their first legit free agent 1/2 starter ever to a long-term deal.

Also, does this thread get taken seriously or even created if Mauer is still catching? Gonna guess no.
    I guess I'm in that (not so) "tiny minority", as well.

And we know how well the social contracts replete with "hypothetical assurances" about surplus payrolls have gone for Twins fans since the advent of Target Field.

Still makes one wonder how much the Twins could have extracted from the Red Sox a year ago when Mauer was still a catcher. (Besides demanding and receiving a 1/2 starter in trade from the Red Sox, THEN, the accompanying payroll relief would have put them in position to be in the drivers seat for another one in the FA market, NOW).

Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    By some probably, but that's part of the reason I thought it a valid question now, and I wouldn't have even bothered if he was catching,
    Last edited by Alex; 11-22-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I guess I'm in that (not so) "tiny minority", as well.
    Well, "consider" is far different from "for sure" and while I haven't run the numbers I think there's still more who would say "no."

Either way it's interesting in that Fielder has been a better overall hitter (900+ OPS) for his career than Mauer.

As to the last paragraph, it sort of shows that a player who has an unfriendly team contract, good hitter or no, is likely to get a similar player in return.
    Last edited by Alex; 11-22-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    FWIW, I just looked it up: Fielder has had 105 plate appearance in Target Field, 10th most in any ballpark. His OPS is 844, which seems a little low(career 916), especially given the level of Twins pitchers he's faced over the last couple years. He's hit .308, but his isolated power is less than his career average.

Given his career rate, one would expect 5 HR over 105 AB. Fielder has 3 in Target Field.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john bonnes View Post
    his ops is 844, which seems a little low(career 916), especially given the level of twins pitchers he's faced over the last couple years.
    ptc, ftw!

I wouldn't trade Mauer for either. I don't trust Prince Fielder's knees lasting much longer with all that weight.
    All you need to know about North Dakota:

Economy is among best in nation because of Oil Boom.
    You can play Blackjack for real money in bars here.
    NDSU Bison good at football.
    University of North Dakota good at Hockey.
    Roger Maris and Phil Jackson (NBA coach) are from here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123