Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prince Fielder traded for Kinsler!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Prince is going to age poorly. He was mearly average last year, the only thing he has is durability at this point.
    I agree. I understand Texas wanting to find a spot for Profar & Fielder might be ok short term but I wouldn't want Fielder for much longer.

Another year of decline & Fielder would have been basically untradeable. Detroit didn't do great...getting Kinsler for 4years @ 92 Million if you factor in the extra money but that's still better than 7 @ 168 Million.

Wow, I'll give Detroit credit for seeing the light & getting out from this deal but it ended up costing them $76 Million Dollars for 2 years of Fielder + they had to take on another contract which isn't that great. That's a lot of pizza!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Looks like a reasonably fair deal, though I like it better for Detroit. In two years with the Tigers, Fielder has an overall ISO under .200. His offensive trendlines look bad pretty much across the board and he can't play defense.

Throw age into the mix and he was untradeable without a massive subsidy. The Tigers did so directly by covering part of what he is owed and indirectly by taking Kinsler, who is a bit overpaid himself. He is reasonably useful though, and allows the Tigers much-needed payroll flexibility.

I see why Texas traded Kinsler - just not sure why it was for a declining, overpaid DH.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 137 Times in 74 Posts
    Seems like a shortcut doesn't it?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I agree, I would imagine more is coming Detroit's way on this. Does Detroit have someone to play 3rd? We got to assume that Cabrera will move back to first, correct?

I honestly really dont think anyone else is involved in this trade. I just think that Detroit realized it loses a lot playing Miggy at 3rd and has Castellanos to play 3rd now. What wouldnt suprise me is if Detroit goes after one of the TOP Outfielders i.e. Choo or Ellsbury which are two guys who can steal and have good OBP % which I think is more dangerous than having Fielder and Miggy batting right next to each other. Although Texas likely will pursue on of the FA OFs as well. The demise of Prince Fielder is greatly over stated. Torii Hunter alluded to the fact that Fielder was having a very hard time going through his divorce and his head just couldnt get into the game last year which is understandable. Fielder will likely flourish in Texas and get back to hitting 35+ homers and 110+ RBIs which is just what Texas needs without possibly Nelson Cruz and especially since Hamilton left.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    Looks like a reasonably fair deal, though I like it better for Detroit. In two years with the Tigers, Fielder has an overall ISO under .200. His offensive trendlines look bad pretty much across the board and he can't play defense.

Throw age into the mix and he was untradeable without a massive subsidy. The Tigers did so directly by covering part of what he is owed and indirectly by taking Kinsler, who is a bit overpaid himself. He is reasonably useful though, and allows the Tigers much-needed payroll flexibility.

I see why Texas traded Kinsler - just not sure why it was for a declining, overpaid DH.
    I can see why they traded Kinsler...he is on the wrong side of 30 and has slowly been decling as well. Why not open up a spot for a young great fielding prospect as Kinslers defensive number have been kinda bad and get a decent fielding 1st baseman or just stick with Mitch Moreland and just keep Fielder at DH. Looks good to me.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Is it worth pointing out the Tigers sent more cash in this trade than the Twins have ever spent on a free agent?

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 67 Posts
    Well, the notion that contracts will become more inflated then they had been seems some what mitigated. That any team is eating money in an exchange of players is good sign that prices for contracts shouldn't get too extreme this offseason.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    A great trade for both teams! It puts fans in the seats too.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Unfortunately, I really like this trade for Detroit. A lot will depend on what they do with the contract savings, but it seems very likely to me that they will be basically the same offensively when it is all said and done, but much much better defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I agree, I would imagine more is coming Detroit's way on this. Does Detroit have someone to play 3rd? We got to assume that Cabrera will move back to first, correct?

Trade them Plouffe!!! Ahahahaha!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    I think we are very undervaluing Prince Fielder. Comerica is huge compared to Arlington! His numbers will be fantastic and his salary isn't that outragious. Here's some math for you:

Over the next four years of the Kinsler contract (4years and $62M) plus the $30m that was given in the trade, the Tigers are only saving $1m/year by flipping Fielder ($92m vs $96m). The Rangers meanwhile are getting the much better end of this deal. Fielder, for essentially, $19.7m/year for his age 29-36 seasons is a bargain. If he were a free agent at this age he would likely still get 7/$140+ from someone. Bats age much better than SS's or CF's legs. Look at Edgar Martinez, Paul Konerko (until last year), Marlon Byrd, for pete's sake. Guys that can hit and for power can always DH as well. He will mash at Arlington. Playing in that tiny park will only make his numbers look better. He has also "protected" a 2-time AL MVP and an NL MVP in his lst three seasons. We are undervaluing Fielder IMO.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fielder will be good till somewhere between 32-35 and will fall off a cliff talent wise as he has a similar body type as his father and he was essentially done at 33. Fielders contract goes till he's 37. So as long as he can make it to the top end the Rangers will be fine otherwise uh oh.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Prince is going to age poorly. He was mearly average last year, the only thing he has is durability at this point.
    Yeah, but he might still hit 50 home runs in that park. Offensive parks help the aging process a lot.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    All Texas spent was money here. They got the better talent (check Kinslers declines in that bandbox) and all it really cost was a financial commitment. Texas wins this one IMO, but Detroit probably had no choice.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Yeah, but he might still hit 50 home runs in that park. Offensive parks help the aging process a lot.
    The difference between Rangers Stadium and Comerica is pretty minimal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12