Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Add Four to 40 Man Roster

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Re: Fryer
    I have a feeling the biggest shock to the system all of us armchair GM/stat-heads would have if we actually got a job as the Assistant to the Traveling Secretary a la George Costanza--Major League Catching is a riddle wrapped in a cipher shrouded by a mysterious shroud of enigmatic uncertainty wrapped in an invisible cloak of doubt and dart throwing.

Seriously, in a world where Drewby nets a top 20 prospect and 42 year old Henry Blanco is still bouncing around, I have to think we blog commentors seriously undervalue the unquantified intangibles of catching.

As for the list, no surprises except Vargas a little bit. Gives me confidence that he's a legit prospect though.

Carrying guys for two years is not unheard of, unless there were truly better candiodates for this year. I'm surprised the Twins carry Santana. Doubt that he'll be considered for the majors this year and might be a long shot the following year.

Of course, we always need names that can be removed for free agent signings,

Darnell Logan I'm not sure if anyone would've truly gambled him for a spot. I don;t see the Twins even finding room on the roster to open the season, even if they failed to sign ANY free agents.

Chris Rahl and any other minor league free agent. It's a crapshoot. 10% don't make it thru spring training. 20% start at AA. The question is should the Twins be better fulfilled with AA and AAA rosters full of prospects.

Oliveras I could see someone taking a flyer on. Wimmers...I don't see him getting stashed in the back of any bullpen.

Now nest year...who do the Twins have to keep.

With Kepler and Polancho, makes you wonder about the joy of signing really young players for big bucks if they have to be stashed on the roster. Plus, the guys get a nice minor league salary raise (don't they make like $50 grand now?!

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    In other ridiculous news, the Twins signed a Clete Thomas clone in Chris Rahl. About to turn 30 and has never been in the majors.
    More of an Antoan Richardson/Denny Hawking clone At least Clete could hit the ball out of the park on occasion
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    With Kepler and Polancho, makes you wonder about the joy of signing really young players for big bucks if they have to be stashed on the roster. Plus, the guys get a nice minor league salary raise (don't they make like $50 grand now?!
    Teams won't even think twice about it. It's part of the business.

Players not on the 40 man roster typically make $1500/month.
    This isn't confirmed and likely has changed in the 4-5 years since I heard it, but guys in their first year on 40 man roster (in minor leagues), make like $10,000/month. Second year, they make like $12,000/month. Third year, $15,000/month. Likely higher now.

Would you rather take the chance of losing polanco or achter? My opinion bullpen arms grow on trees future SS do not.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My thought is you protect the guys you think are likely to become the best players. Trying to guess what 29 other teams might or might not do is a bit of a fool's game. I was a bit surprised by Vargas, I have always thought he was one of those guys who could hit in the minors and has great power, but has too many holes in his swing, not enough bat speed, and no position he can play in the majors. Apparently, the Twins think he can better than that, and likely they are right. Or at least more right than I am likely to be.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Eric Fryer is not going to be more valuable than A.J. Achter. Good lord.
    Relievers like Atcher are a dime a dozen. Fryer is basically a better hitting version of Butera, who proved his worth on the trade market last year.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I used to get all upset about this stuff, but generally speaking, they get it right... at least from the sense of actually losing players. Who is the last player they didn't protect that they actually lost to the other team? (I'm sure there have been, I just can't think of it)

The report on Achter is right, though I think earlier in the year, he was closer to 92-93 with four pitches. I can't really argue with any of these picks.

The last guy they lost if I am not mistaken (RA Dickey) turned out to be a Cy Young candidate, but they did sign him the next off-season only to release him after one season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Achter...relief pitchers are a dime a dozen. Can find them anywhere...failed starters, etc.

Couldn't risk losing Polanco and Kepler. No brainers.

Did Vargas have to be added?

Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heimer View Post
    Would you rather take the chance of losing polanco or achter? My opinion bullpen arms grow on trees future SS do not.
    Nailed it. you can find a RP anywhere. Refurbish almost any 2 pitch starter.

Surprised Oliveros didn't get protected (based on what we saw in 2012 - looked like he had absolutely nasty stuff), hoe he doesn't get snapped up.

Surprised Oliveras didn't get protected (based on what we saw in 2012 - looked like he had absolutely nasty stuff), hoe he doesn't get snapped up.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Relievers like Atcher are a dime a dozen. Fryer is basically a better hitting version of Butera, who proved his worth on the trade market last year.
    First, generalizing from that fleecing of the Dodgers is not a good idea. The Dodgers have Clayton Kershaw and are also willing to spend about 80 million bucks on pitchers if need be. The value of Sulbaran diminishes in such a situation.

Two, clearly Fryer didn't have to be signed to such a dumb two-way contract and would have passed through waivers. There is no reason to then lose the *next guy* in the bullpen who have started in AAA when Eric Fryer is the reason.

Blog Entries
    Polanco of Achter? What? Who said that was the actual choice? Eric Fryer vs. Achter. There you go. Breathe with me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I used to get all upset about this stuff, but generally speaking, they get it right... at least from the sense of actually losing players. Who is the last player they didn't protect that they actually lost to the other team? (I'm sure there have been, I just can't think of it)

The report on Achter is right, though I think earlier in the year, he was closer to 92-93 with four pitches. I can't really argue with any of these picks.
    Given what you have said about Achter in the past, I am really surprised that you are so completely flippant about this! Seriously. Does every Twins decision become a good one instantaneously in your view?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I don't know that Achter has MLB stuff, but I just don't like protecting all these late 20's AAAA players. This team is rebuilding, are Albers, Johnson, Mastroianni, Colabello, Presley and Fryer really the kind of players this team needs to be protecting?

A thought on Wimmers and Oliveros. Are the Twins rolling the dice on these two knowing it's unlikely a year removed from TJ surgery neither will likely be able to pitch a full season and stay on a 40-man? I'm not sure I like that gamble for if they get placed on a season ending DL I believe the buyer gets to retain their services the following year and gets another attempt to keep them on the roster. If I was a devious GM I might do just that and see if the player is agreeable to the arrangement. They should be as, a full season on the MLB DL would help with service time and he would get his MLB salary as opposed to riding buses another season in AAA.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I don't know that Achter has MLB stuff, but I just don't like protecting all these late 20's AAAA players. This team is rebuilding, are Albers, Johnson, Mastroianni, Colabello, Presley and Fryer really the kind of players this team needs to be protecting?

A thought on Wimmers and Oliveros. Are the Twins rolling the dice on these two knowing it's unlikely a year removed from TJ surgery neither will likely be able to pitch a full season and stay on a 40-man? I'm not sure I like that gamble for if they get placed on a season ending DL I believe the buyer gets to retain their services the following year and gets another attempt to keep them on the roster. If I was a devious GM I might do just that and see if the player is agreeable to the arrangement. They should be as, a full season on the MLB DL would help with service time and he would get his MLB salary as opposed to riding buses another season in AAA.
    Of course a bunch of marginal AAAA players are not worth protecting. Wimmers and Oliveros probably are, certainly. Albers, Fryer, and Colabello wouldn't be claimed by anybody on the waiver wire at the moment. And either Mastro or Presley should be gone anyway. It's befuddling how they want to protect marginal players and not protect more prospects.

It is also strange how people mourning the loss of Duke Welker aren't more bothered by this Achter situation. I didn't care about Welker in part because of Achter's ability to fill in as the next guy in the bullpen. I hope I am wrong and he doesn't get selected.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    He was the most likely guy to be added!
    Well, the likeliness-radar obviously needs to realign it's gimbals.

Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Of course a bunch of marginal AAAA players are not worth protecting. Wimmers and Oliveros probably are, certainly. Albers, Fryer, and Colabello wouldn't be claimed by anybody on the waiver wire at the moment. And either Mastro or Presley should be gone anyway. It's befuddling how they want to protect marginal players and not protect more prospects.

It is also strange how people mourning the loss of Duke Welker aren't more bothered by this Achter situation. I didn't care about Welker in part because of Achter's ability to fill in as the next guy in the bullpen. I hope I am wrong and he doesn't get selected.
    Decisions are made somehow. Perhaps by seeing the player and assessing their skills they can make a better informed decision than by reading a sheet of statistics off the internet.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a questions: Isn't it just the players who get added to the 40 man on Wednesday can’t be removed until at least spring training?

So you need to have player like Albers, Fryer and Colabello on your 40 man roster that will clear waivers and remain in your system and allow you to make moves before spring training. If someone is picked during the draft they have to stay on major league team for the year, if you drop someone from your 40 man roster after the draft team just need to put them on their 40 man roster.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast