Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Twins Add Four to 40 Man Roster

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I don't know that Achter has MLB stuff, but I just don't like protecting all these late 20's AAAA players. This team is rebuilding, are Albers, Johnson, Mastroianni, Colabello, Presley and Fryer really the kind of players this team needs to be protecting?

A thought on Wimmers and Oliveros. Are the Twins rolling the dice on these two knowing it's unlikely a year removed from TJ surgery neither will likely be able to pitch a full season and stay on a 40-man? I'm not sure I like that gamble for if they get placed on a season ending DL I believe the buyer gets to retain their services the following year and gets another attempt to keep them on the roster. If I was a devious GM I might do just that and see if the player is agreeable to the arrangement. They should be as, a full season on the MLB DL would help with service time and he would get his MLB salary as opposed to riding buses another season in AAA.
    The Twins claimed Alejandro Machado in the Rule 5 and kept him on the 25-man roster all season, albeit disabled, during 2007 and when the other team didn't want him back kept him in the system the next year. He's the only player in the Twins Media Guide listed on the all-time roster that never batted or played in a game for the major league team.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a question. Would somebody be willing to start a thread...or two threads one that shows a listing of all the twins unprotected in the Rule 5 draft and then a list of probables the twins might select or should select in the Rule 5 draft. I realize the second is hardly feasible but would love to see somebodys perspectives anyway

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 310 Times in 194 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I have a question. Would somebody be willing to start a thread...or two threads one that shows a listing of all the twins unprotected in the Rule 5 draft and then a list of probables the twins might select or should select in the Rule 5 draft. I realize the second is hardly feasible but would love to see somebodys perspectives anyway
    I'm sure Baseball America and other sites will do nice Rule 5 draft previews, usually closer to the date of the draft, and they will get linked here. As you mention, the list of potential picks is quite voluminous.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I'm wating for Fangraphs, BA or MLBTR to make the second list. Well not exactly your second list, I don't want a list of just the guys the Twins would target, that would mostly consist of swingmen with a low K%. But I am waiting for a list of the players left unprotected with high ceilings.

Liked 142 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    The Twins claimed Alejandro Machado in the Rule 5 and kept him on the 25-man roster all season, albeit disabled, during 2007 and when the other team didn't want him back kept him in the system the next year.
    I'm pretty sure that once he stays on the 25-man for a year (even on the DL) there is no obligation to offer him back.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 485 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that once he stays on the 25-man for a year (even on the DL) there is no obligation to offer him back.
    Nope, I believe the rule was changed a few years back because teams were stashing Rule 5 players on the DL. I don't know the exact rule but it is something like 150 days active when rosters are limited to 25 players.

Liked 142 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Nope, I believe the rule was changed a few years back because teams were stashing Rule 5 players on the DL. I don't know the exact rule but it is something like 150 days active when rosters are limited to 25 players.
    Learn something new every day. Was the change before or after 2007? (Just in case someone knows without looking - I'm not totally helpless and will try to find it too.)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'm wating for Fangraphs, BA or MLBTR to make the second list. Well not exactly your second list, I don't want a list of just the guys the Twins would target, that would mostly consist of swingmen with a low K%. But I am waiting for a list of the players left unprotected with high ceilings.
    Here is BA's list
    Phillies Brody Colvin is a very intriguing possibility if the Twins can fix him. Just 23 next season and twice a top 100 prospect
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    I thnk the Twins will use there last spot and pick someone off the wavier wire instead. Maybe another Florimon move, where they pick and wave.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I believe they are required to be active for at least 90 days, or about half the season. If they don't get that in the first season due to injury, it can carry over into the next season - same stipulation that they remain on the 25-man roster or they go back to their original team. In the second season, then, they are able to be optioned once the 90-day minimum is fulfilled.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 485 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    I believe they are required to be active for at least 90 days, or about half the season. If they don't get that in the first season due to injury, it can carry over into the next season - same stipulation that they remain on the 25-man roster or they go back to their original team. In the second season, then, they are able to be optioned once the 90-day minimum is fulfilled.
    I checked mlb.com and my most trusted source (Wikipedia) and confirmed that you are absolutely correct.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123