Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Josh Johnson to the Padres

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    I'm not too heartbroken. When the word came out earlier this week that he reached out to the padres and giants I kind of crossed him off my list. He would have been a nice third piece upside guy but not a huge loss on a one year deal. Now had he signed a 1 year plus option deal I would be a bit more disappointed. Still like our shot of grabbing 1 of Garza, nolasco, jiminez and then 1 of arroyo, kazmir to anchor the rotation. Then we can still take a flyer on a high upside reclamation project like Johan, Fausto (he'll always be Fausto to me), or Halladay.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 179 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Can you think of anyone who went to Minneapolis for a year and resurrected a career?
    This bit is getting tiresome, we get it, you dislike every single coach/GM/FO member on the twins.

You know just like the rest of us that the Twins haven't been real active in the free agent market...well...really ever.

Also Pavano more or less resurrected his career in Minnesota after 4 years prior of absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    I'm not too heartbroken. When the word came out earlier this week that he reached out to the padres and giants I kind of crossed him off my list. He would have been a nice third piece upside guy but not a huge loss on a one year deal. Now had he signed a 1 year plus option deal I would be a bit more disappointed. Still like our shot of grabbing 1 of Garza, nolasco, jiminez and then 1 of arroyo, kazmir to anchor the rotation. Then we can still take a flyer on a high upside reclamation project like Johan, Fausto (he'll always be Fausto to me), or Halladay.
    Yeah, it was pretty obvious he wanted to go someone south on the west coast (though SF isn't exactly "warm") but it made perfect sense for him to target the NL and a pitcher friendly park.

Again, not to bummed, I would have been if it was a 2 year deal, but at this point any one year deals don't do a whole lot for this club anyways, would rather invest some of that money this year into a 3-4 year deal for solid pitchers.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Jack Morris a. was ancient history, b. was towards the end of a very successful career (he was 36 in 1991 and played 3 more seasons) and c. Gardyn'Andy were playing ball back then. Nothing to resurrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    How about 'Black Jack' Morris?

It's hard to say getting a 1 year contract with the worst team in baseball (1990 - Twins were dead last) isn't exactly riding a success story.

Although...I will say, to those who say the Twins don't spend. Jack Morris' contract for $3.7M that year was the 4th highest contract in MLB and only $100k from being the richest contract given that year.

In 1990, the Twins had the 2nd highest contract in MLB, Puckett at $2.8M.

In 1989, Frank Viola was the highest paid player in MLB at just under $2.8M.

It wasn't until 1992 when the Yankees, Mets, & Red Sox started to hand out multiiple contracts that doubled the previous season's highest salary.
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 11-20-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    I wanted Johnson but he clearly and publicly demonstrated he wanted to pitch in San Diego or San Francisco to be close to his home in Las Vegas. Not surprisingly he is not so attached to Minnesota considering he hasn't lived there in about two decades. I'm not sure what there is to be upset about, when folks here thought he would consider his "home" Minnesota they expected him to treat the Twins the same way he now treated San Diego. It would appear his "home" is Las Vegas, not Minnesota.

His agent says he left money on the table and everyone basically agreed that he took a discount. For all we know the Twins had a higher offer out there. Maybe waiting on him was even the reason the Twins reportedly were interested in Garza/Nolasco/Arroyo but reportedly had not submitted formal offers yet. Maybe now they do.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 339 Times in 193 Posts
    Great place to rebuild value for Johnson. But lets not pretend we couldn't use him. He has huge bounce back potential, regardless of what our prospects may or may not do.

Oh well, one name off the board, hope we see some action soon.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Great place to rebuild value for Johnson. But lets not pretend we couldn't use him. He has huge bounce back potential, regardless of what our prospects may or may not do.

Oh well, one name off the board, hope we see some action soon.
    Yeah, I'm not saying he wouldn't have helped in 2014, however I think most agree that best case scenario is Twins are a .500 team in 2014 even with a couple of signings (considering that its likely Buxton/Sano/Meyer will take some time to become effective major leaguers)

The one nice thing however is that if Johnson does go off, San Diego has the advantage to sign him long term, that would have been the nice part if he would have been with the Twins.

Oh well, onto Garza+Nolasco+etc

Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Johnson said earlier this week he preferred San Diego, and frankly gave them a huge discount.

I wish the twins would have got him as well, however, not sure what a one year would have done for them...best case scenario is he has a nice year and becomes insanely expensive
    If you've ever been to San Diego, it's pretty easy to see why. Nice city with great weather.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    If you've ever been to San Diego, it's pretty easy to see why. Nice city with great weather.
    Getting less nice as time goes on. It seems that San Diegans learned nothing from their Los Angelenos brethren. Traffic has turned into a nightmare down there.

Still great weather but ugh, no public transport and horrible traffic compared to when I lived there in the 90s.

Member Single-A
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I wish the twins would have got him as well, however, not sure what a one year would have done for them
    Possible trade chip.
    Inside track to resigning him for 2015.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    Possible trade chip.
    Inside track to resigning him for 2015.
    The most obvious benefit - not having to watch a team getting mauled in 2014.

The 2nd most obvious - pitching well enough that he's a lock to turn down a qualifying offer

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe I am 2 for 5 in my MLBTR free agent predictions: Johnson and C. Young right, Byrd, Hudson, and Ruiz wrong.

Did he get a discount. If he meets incentives, will still be a decent one-year signing. I doubt that anyone would give him two years guaranteed. Plus he seemed to be picking his marketplace. If he has a great year, he's a free agent again. If he doesn't have a great year, San Diego has an option to bring him back. Good move by San Diego.

This is one area that the Twins have to get more comfortable with. In any free agent signing (or extended contracts) there will always be a Toshi potential, and you may have a Mays or a Balckburn deal. It is the chance you take. Anywhere from 10-20% of the money you budget from salary may sit on the sidelines that season. It happens in football, t happens in basketball. You can try and escape it, but it will happen.

Do we hear anyone complain when a player overperforms their contract? Do we hear teams complain when they overpay a free agent when the team the player leaves should actually be overpaying that free agent for past services, in a way? (on the flipside, do overpaid free agents ever give money back...wait, the Twins lucked out with Toski, didn't they).

Is Santana worth a $5 million P.R. contract in which he might pitch a game or too...he was vastly underpaid in his earlier stint with the team.

And then, you have to look at players for worth -- longterm or marketability or trade value. The Twins do a bad job on the trade value, at times (flip Delmon Young earlier than they did, same with Liriano). Often the Twins hold onto pieces just a tad too long.

Yes, it is hard work being a general manager.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    What about the light rail and the Coaster? Plenty of buses too. I had no trouble getting around there without a car. Probably different if you are living there as opposed to visiting.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    Why are people getting in a tizzy over this move. It is known he wanted to stay close to his Las Vegas home and was looking at San Diego or LA teams. Even if we offered 14 mil for a year, he didn't want to go anywhere else.

Others have stated other obvious reasons such as picking a big park in NL team to reestablish his value for next winter.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 61 Times in 41 Posts
    My nominee for the 1-year turnaround would be The Gambler.

His numbers were up and down, and when he signed, he had bounced around a bit.
    Really felt as though he was looking for a springboard, and the Twins were taking a shot.
    He got the springboard.

After his 1-year shot with the Twins?
    Lead the AL in GS the next season (35). Also:
    3 All Stars, 2 Gold Gloves, 3 Postseason wins, including G2 '06 WS...

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Why are people getting in a tizzy over this move. It is known he wanted to stay close to his Las Vegas home and was looking at San Diego or LA teams. Even if we offered 14 mil for a year, he didn't want to go anywhere else.

Others have stated other obvious reasons such as picking a big park in NL team to reestablish his value for next winter.
    The unfortunate part of this for Johnson is that he doesn't get to play the Padres now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 168 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    It's hard to say getting a 1 year contract with the worst team in baseball (1990 - Twins were dead last) isn't exactly riding a success story.
    Minor correction: the 1990 Twins were not the worst team in the AL, much less all of baseball. They finished last in their division, but the Yankees actually finished 8 games worse in the other division, and two teams had worse records than the Twins in the NL.

The Braves were the "truest" worst-to-first team, because they indeed had the worst record in all of MLB in 1990, and rebounded to first place in 1991.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While it appears that he wanted an NL team and the west coast, it also appears that the Twins weren't active in pursuit of him. Ryan said he liked him but that he wanted $10mm, and that wasn't going to happen. After hearing that, it seems like the Twins bowed out. Who knows if he would have considered Minnesota if they had made a run at him?

I'm not too upset, but it seems strange that we hear "willing to consider any one-year expense" and yet the pitcher with the highest upside available...is too rich at $10mm?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 168 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTrane View Post
    My nominee for the 1-year turnaround would be The Gambler
    Rogers was a great signing, but he was coming off a really good season in 2002, and he followed it up with a slightly better season in 2004 too.

Really curious how we got him that year, actually. Was he holding out for more money? Was he thinking retirement? Did he want to leave Texas for a contender? He would up back in Texas the next year anyway for similar money....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast