Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates Reacquire Duke Welker from Twins

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 661 Times in 373 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Welker is 27 while Johnson is 29. Not too much of an age difference. Both players only made their mlb debuts this year. When all is said and done I do prefer Welker.
    Ah, thanks, my memory betrayed me. I thought Welker was 25. Either way I feel like we're a bit overloaded at the "not really what you want to start" starting pitching position.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 377 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    I would imagine that the Twins thought about removing Welker from the 40-man and this gives Pittsburgh a reason to reclaim him, possibly giving the Twins an aging arm they didn't want to 40-man at the moment...the Twns wanted a starter, didn't need another Slama. Who knows. Strange but true. Welker one of those "almost a Twin" guys like Chuck Shilling.
    I must be missing something, why won't Johnson have to be added to the 40 man? I mean I don't want him on the roster as he looks pretty identical to Darnell, Dean, Diamond, Albers and the departed Hernandez, but if the Twins want to keep another AAAA noodle-armed, junkball, lefty, doesn't he have to be added?
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 11-19-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Johnson's success last year came in his fifth go-around in AAA, for what it's worth.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Has to be 40-man reasons.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Terry Ryan confirms the Twins plan to keep Kris Johnson as a starter. Not sure how that will work out. Only has two pitches. Low 90s fastball and a change. He does have some deception to his delivery.
    Nope. He has 3 pitches. A fastball that can kick up to 94 and averages around 92, a very deceptive change in the mid 80s and a slow curve.

At this point he is on the top of the Twins LHSP depth. Better stuff than Diamond and Albers for sure.

Great move.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Nope. He has 3 pitches. A fastball that can kick up to 94 and averages around 92, a very deceptive change in the mid 80s and a slow curve.

At this point he is on the top of the Twins LHSP depth. Better stuff than Diamond and Albers for sure.

Great move.
    Thanks for the scouting report Thrylos. It's good to hear from someone that has actually seen him pitch, as apposed to trying to make a judgment based on numbers.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Dammit, I liked having a guy named Duke. Oh well.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Duke Welker was a pretty boss name. And this guy has a pretty lame name.

Could we somehow swap the pitchers, but keep the names? It would take that old Yankees pitchers wife swap thing to a whole new level....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My guess would be that this means Kazmir is off the wish list.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At this point I would be willing to sign players based on interesting names. What else is there to be excited about?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts

Great move.
    ???

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 377 Times in 232 Posts

Great move.
    This is the only report I've seen on his arsenal, but even if his stuff is better, it certainly isn't translating. This guy's 29 and I really don't want another roster spot wasted on a strikeout deficient pitcher. We've seen this crawlspace-sized ceiling enough already.

I would much rather have a guy who has a chance to be a back of the bullpen arm than a guy who has a chance to be a swingman, these guys are littered throughout the system and provide hardly any upgrade to the next man up and generally have no future trade value.

Side note: I'm wondering what the reactions will be if the Twins lose Achter, Wimmers, Oliveros, Vargas, Kepler or another prospect in the Rule V due to this roster spot.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't understand how anyone would prefer a reliever with likely no real future over a starter with likely no real future, especially with regard to a team with a good bullpen and a pathetic rotation.
    Last edited by Shane Wahl; 11-20-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the big picture it doesnt even matter that this happened, both of these guys in all reality will amount to as Chris Farley would say...JACK SQUAT

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    My favorite Welker moment was when we all knew he was the PTBNL before he was named.
    Ah, Welk, we hardly knew ye!

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    That should about wrap things up for TR this winter. He should move right into the rotation.

This off season, so far, has nearly been as bad as the season was.
    I think TR panicked when the Rockies "stole" Pedro Hernandez from him.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I don't understand how anyone would prefer a reliever with likely no real future over a starter with likely no real future, especially with regard to a team with a good bullpen and a pathetic rotation.
    Say goodbye to arb-eligible Bryan Duensing (or Swarzak)? TR probably thinks he's found his new LH swingman who can readily move up to the level of the Twins collection of AAAA rotation lottery candidates, when/if he finds out that he is priced out of the market and is unable to sign 2 (1?) quality FA starters.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A couple of thoughts--I am thinking that Swarzak is a goner from the Twins. With so many candidates for the rotation, some are going to the bullpen to be long men or sixth starters. I expect the Twins trade Swarzak, actually selling high on a player. Secondly, if Johnson has decent stuff and is a lefty, how did he last in the minors for so long? Unless he has found a new pitch or finally has gotten healthy, it is hard to believe he didn't get multiple chances to pitch in the majors before this year. Someone said that he goes to the top of the list of Twins' LH starters, both Albers and especially Diamond are both younger and have had success as major leaguers, they both have to start ahead of Johnson in any competition for a starters slot.

Liked 3,150 Times in 1,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Duke Welker was a pretty boss name. And this guy has a pretty lame name.

Could we somehow swap the pitchers, but keep the names? It would take that old Yankees pitchers wife swap thing to a whole new level....
    As it turns out, Welker wasn't the PTBNL after all. He was the Player To Be Named Earlier.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    First Eric Fryer (instead of Samamamamatoochi or Pierrrzynski. Now Johnson instead of anyone. Terry just spent a million bucks!
    You sure do brutalize these Italian names. Saltalamacchia and even the easy one, Colabello. At least I now know it extends to the Polish as well...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast