Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pirates Reacquire Duke Welker from Twins

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 603 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    It seems like a good idea for the team to trade a guy like that for something that fits better.
    Please elaborate on this better "fit". He looks incredibly redundant to me.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Sometimes their value is that they are overrated. Twins turned Bullock and got a 2 WAR season out of a back end starter. Same thing could happen here. I just don't get the fuss over this. As others have pointed out, Welker isn't anything special, isn't that valuable and he plays at a position of depth on this team. It seems like a good idea for the team to trade a guy like that for something that fits better.
    I don't disagree that neither of the guys will likely amount to anything. I just think bringing in junk balling 29 year olds and placing them on the 40 man roster is a bad move and similar to what we have seen in the past. After 3 straight 90+ loss seasons it's time to try something else. If Johnson has a substantial role with the Twins this year, it's safe to say we are looking at 4th straight awful year. If not, then what's the point?

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I agree, how is he different than the 1/2 dozen or so AAAA arms the Twins run through the major league roster, every year?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 352 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Aside from Diamond they have Albers, Darnell and Dean, not to mention another clone in Pedro Hernandez who they already felt comfortable enough to ditch. Why didn't they just hang onto Hernandez if this was going to be the outcome? Not that I wanted them to.
    The Twins know what they have in Diamond, Albers (not a realistic option, great story, but not a realistic option), Darnell and Dean are interesting though does either one throw as hard as Johnson? Maybe they just want to take a look at Johnson or see something in him?

Who knows, either way not a big deal.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 185 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Sure, I think these are the possible starters on the 40 man roster right now - Albers, Correia, Gibson, Deduno, Diamond, Hendricks, Johnson, Worley. The Twins need depth there and Johnson could end up the 3rd best of that group.

In the bullpen the team has Burton, Duensing, Fien, Ibara, Perkins, Pressly, Swarzak, Tonkin, Thieldbar. (With a bunch of other potential 40 man additions). Johnson fits the teams needs better. We can bitch and moan about Johnson being a bad player but we're talking about the bottom of a 40 man roster. The team wasn't going to turn Welker into anything else. So why keep him? Roll the dice on Welker and see if you can get a Scott Diamond again.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    In the bullpen the team has Burton, Duensing, Fien, Ibara, Perkins, Pressly, Swarzak, Tonkin, Thieldbar. (With a bunch of other potential 40 man additions). Johnson fits the teams needs better. We can bitch and moan about Johnson being a bad player but we're talking about the bottom of a 40 man roster. The team wasn't going to turn Welker into anything else. So why keep him? Roll the dice on Welker and see if you can get a Scott Diamond again.
    While I'm always looking for a good deal, not turning Welker into anything else may have been the better move. At this point, we are not just trading Welker, we are also opening up the possibility of losing another prospect due to the loss of the roster spot now occupied by Johnson. I'm not into giving up two players for a guy like Johnson. I would have rather just removed Welker from the 40-man if this trade means the team also loses Achter, Wimmers or Oliveros.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 185 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    While I'm always looking for a good deal, not turning Welker into anything else may have been the better move. At this point, we are not just trading Welker, we are also opening up the possibility of losing another prospect due to the loss of the roster spot now occupied by Johnson. I'm not into giving up two players for a guy like Johnson. I would have rather just removed Welker from the 40-man if this trade means the team also loses Achter, Wimmers or Oliveros.
    Team has a ton of space and could jettison a lot of guys before we have to worry about losing anyone of value. See the other thread.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Team has a ton of space and could jettison a lot of guys before we have to worry about losing anyone of value. See the other thread.
    I don't disagree, but Johnson should be near the top of the cut list so why go after him? There's room on the roster but there will still be some guys left out in the cold, it's not a given everyone will be safe from getting picked.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 297 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sure, I think these are the possible starters on the 40 man roster right now - Albers, Correia, Gibson, Deduno, Diamond, Hendricks, Johnson, Worley. The Twins need depth there and Johnson could end up the 3rd best of that group.
    Doesn't look like the Twins need depth there, they need quality. If a guy like Johnson has any chance to be your third best MLB starter, you don't need another guy like Johnson.

I hope this trade is more about not needing a reliever, and getting an extra starter for Rochester, but the past few seasons of cycling through AAA starters in MLB (and Johnson's 40-man roster requirement) have me suspicious.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 352 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Doesn't look like the Twins need depth there, they need quality. If a guy like Johnson has any chance to be your third best MLB starter, you don't need another guy like Johnson.

I hope this trade is more about not needing a reliever, and getting an extra starter for Rochester, but the past few seasons of cycling through AAA starters in MLB (and Johnson's 40-man roster requirement) have me suspicious.
    Johnson can take Fryers 40 man spot, problem solved.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For what it's worth, Thrylos' scouting report was accurate.

Fastball 91-94, throws a 4-seam and a sinker. Change up is his second pitch and he throws it 82-86, small sample size but hitters had a tough time with that pitch. Throws a slider and curve as well. http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.asp...886&position=P

So he does seem to have better stuff than the guys we've been throwing out. I'm okay with some competition for the 5th spot/bullpen. He could be a useful player.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not only could he potentially be useful, but they got him for Welker, who isn't going to be useful for the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Those pitchFX numbers are from his 10 MLB innings, which were mostly in relief, right? Suggests his velocity might be a little lower when starting.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Johnson can take Fryers 40 man spot, problem solved.
    Its not that we can't find 40 man spots, it is that if he is AAA depth (which is what he should be, we still need at least 2 additional MLB starters), you generally don't need 40 man guys for that. Walters and Deduno have been off and on the roster at various points the last few years.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Those pitchFX numbers are from his 10 MLB innings, which were mostly in relief, right? Suggests his velocity might be a little lower when starting.
    That's correct. He pitched 8.1 of his 10.1 innings out of the pen. We can't really assume that his velocity spikes when he relieves though, not all pitchers do. I've also read a couple of scouting reports that stated his fastball is 90-94.

Like I said, he could be useful. I'm okay with taking different avenues to try to acquire arms. I haven't seen him pitch enough to know what he can or can't be.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 603 Times in 337 Posts
    You made a list that contains 8 people. Right now there is no question he closer to 8 than 3 on that depth chart. This also doesn't include Darnell or any (hopefully) acquired pitchers in the FA or trade markets. So basically, he's your 10th or worse guy. And he brings very little in the way of upside.

The very arguments you make about Welker being bottom of the 40 man fluff apply to this guy too. All we did was add an older version of Welker and a position we're already redundant at.

Liked 1,582 Times in 788 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    And yet another indy league veteran. Huh.
    Hold it

He was cut from Boston in the middle of the 2011 season and went to Kansas (IL) to finish the season. Several of his College (Wichita St) teammates were playing there and he knew the place so he chose to go there. This is not a guy who could not find a job and went to the ILs. Signed with Pittsburgh next winter. Not a Colabello/Thielbar/Albers story by any means.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    I guess some of us confuse "stuff" with "ability to strike guys out". I know I do, when I say a guy doesn't have stuff, I don't mean he can't throw 94 MPH, I mean his pitching repertoire does not seem to create easy outs. Johnson has pitched 431 AAA innings and has a K/9 rate of 5.9/9 ip, his K/BB rate is well under the magic 2.00 line. For reference Pedro Hernandez (in a smaller sample size) at AAA: 6.2/3.09, and we saw how that worked out for the Twins.

It's very rare for a guy with this long of a questionable AAA track record to get magically better in the majors. It's just more of the same. We can trash the viability of Welker all we want, and perhaps for merit, but I just don't see anything in Johnson's past to indicate he has the "stuff" to be a competent major league starter. Unless he has developed a knuckle ball it just ain't happening unless he gets extremely lucky, and that labels him as more of the same to me.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought he was a former number one who is this old upon reaching the majors because of injuries... This is someone that sounds like he is a minor upgrade over some of what we have already got.

I will never complain about an upgrade and do not understand the vitriol exhibited here. What have we lost? Nothing!! Did we gain much? No, just a little but it is a gain.

I personally prefer a 94 MPH fastball over 88 which is what has gone out there at times recently... Just trying to say take a deep breath and chill a bit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast