Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins prospect Eddie Rosario tested positive for banned substance?

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins prospect Eddie Rosario tested positive for banned substance?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Woah.

Short of another Tommy John surgery for a pitcher, this is up there with frustrating news.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If it is medication for rehab, who the hell is letting him take it?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    If it is medication for rehab, who the hell is letting him take it?
    He ordered them online from some guy with the Twitter handle v_conte_was_framed, who assured him the pills were legit.

What a bummer.<br><br>I am not a professional translator, but perhaps this is a little more accurate than Google Translator:<br><br>
    The General Manager of the Indians, Frankie Thon, explained how he heard the news. “Eddie Rosario called me about three days ago and told me he had some bad news, that he tested positive in this testing thing, that supposedly his arm hurt and he took some pills and tested positive for some type of ‘drug’.&nbsp; He has a 50-game suspension and he understood that he couldn’t play in the Winter League,” Thom said.
    <br>

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well that sucks.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There may not be any confirmation coming soon assuming that there is an appeal. Maybe that's already happened. It's hard to know. Definitely frustrating, but the details would be the interesting part. Not all 50 game suspensions are created equal.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    It sucks, but better this year than next year. He wouldn't be up in the majors til June anyways, and there was a good chance he wouldn't be up for more than a cup of coffee anyways (unless Dozier got hurt)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    I am trying to accentuate any positive and what comes to mind is that he has performed at every level and there is not a "Melkyesque" spike in his stats. Hopefully this is a learning experience that keeps him on the straight and narrow for the rest of his career. Also, in response to Chamoman, I speak Spanish fluently and Google translate did well on that translation. Those online tools are much better than they once were. The Sport Live PR article then goes on to say that Rosario told Thon that he would not be able to play for him anymore this winter. Thon informed him that the rule had changed, he could continue playing in PR this winter and that his suspension would begin at the start of the minor league season. Thon intends to get him back in his lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Penz View Post
    I am trying to accentuate any positive and what comes to mind is that he has performed at every level and there is not a "Melkyesque" spike in his stats.
    I highly doubt it, it's not like last season Rosario came out of nowhere, he had very strong numbers in 2011 and 2012 as well, so if he was on some sort of "juice" he would most certainly have tested hot prior to this one.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    We got to teach him how to use a masking agent next time.

Anyhow, I'm sure he's not the first guy who got hurt and took something he shouldn't have. It's not an excuse but it sounds like he took the drugs to get back rather than perform better. That's a bright side, I suppose.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 165 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It certainly bumps back his timeline. I doubt we'll see him at Target Field this year now. I also don't doubt that when he returns from his 50-game suspension that he starts the season back in New Britain.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    This is a real punch in the groin. Better than Sano testing positive I suppose.

On the very, very dim bright side, at least we have a clearer picture of what 2B at the MLB level will look like for now. Here's to hoping that Dozier performs.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    That will hurt his pocket book big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    That will hurt his pocket book big time.
    Will it? Minor leaguers don't exactly make that much, I'm guessing it will cost him about 10k tops.

Hurt's his trade value. He was on the block for pitching help.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 222 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tellis205 View Post
    I see this as good news. Now he is less likely to be traded during the off-season. He wasn't going to land a difference maker on the mound anyway so I'd prefer to keep him.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that the Twins need to ingrain their minor leaguers not to take anything even if their relatives or friends give it to them without checking with the Twins' doctors. I'd love to know what kind of substance it was.

Quote Originally Posted by tellis205 View Post
    Was he really though?
    He didn't exactly tear up AA, so his trade value wouldn't have been very large at this point IMO.

As much as we all love him, we must realize he isn't even a top 100 guy on the majority of lists. (edit: I am wrong, I bet he will crack the top 100 on most lists, still though I think they would be potentially selling low on him at this point)
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 11-19-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast