Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Roster Decisions: 40 Man Roster

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The pitchers should generally be kept (remove Hermsen first). The reason Kepler and Polanco are not going to be selected isn't just because of having to have them on the bench. It is that you then have a player with basically a wasted year with little development. I doubt any team, even the Astros, are willing to use a roster spot on someone who isn't ready before 2016 (and maybe 2017, given the year wasted).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With the number of players to be protected, the number of current Twins who need protection is low. Drop the marginals as I stated above and protect the player you want to protect. I do not see Darnell as better than Diamond or Albers, so I would not protect him. The rest of the players stated above are choices, but would be dismayed if the Twins gave up on significant bullpen pieces. May see waivers or a few minor trades today or tomorrow, but most low talent clubs will not give much for bullpen pitchers they may be able to get off the waiver wire in the next couple of days.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaBill View Post
    If the Astros felt Polanco was a top ten Twins prospect, then why wouldn't they select him?
    Because he is 2-3 years away from the majors and will just have to sit on the bench. The kid is not even ready for AA.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With teams like the Twins and Astros out there who have very little talent, I could still see grabbing a Polanco and putting him on the MLB roster.

He can play defense already. Don't think he can hit .220 like their current SS's?

Oh wait, we're the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    I want to say some team did this in the last decade - the Mets, I think - they grabbed some 21 or 22 year old OFer with tools who was totally overwhelmed but they kept him at the ML level all year, got him into a number of games and he was just horrible. Then the next year they sent him to AA and he was still horrible and he never made it back. I don't think any team will take an A ball hitter and stick him on their ML roster. (But that doesn't mean they couldn't try and work out a trade after poisoning the well a bit).

But in the Twins case, I just don't see why they'd need to risk anything. Polanco and Kepler will get another option year b/c of their youth so we don't really lose anything by protecting them this year and we have enough guys that we can remove if needed.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 178 Times in 102 Posts
    Nobody is going to pick up Polanco or Kepler, while both are nice prospects, neither one project to be world beaters that are worth keeping on your bench for a full year. It is much easier to grab a pitcher and keep him as your mop up guy (since they are the most interchangeable players on the 25 man roster) Limiting an already small position player bench size by having a guy who can't play (insert Butera joke here) is a really poor move.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Polanco- he plays a MI position and would be at least an outside shot to be Rule 5 drafted and stick.
    Logan Darnell- Had a nice AZL last fall and followed it up with a pretty solid season in the upper minors. As a lefty he seems like a candidate to be selected as well.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    The Astros and Cubs are likely the only two teams that have had and currently have a worst MLB roster than the Twins. If these guys (Polanco, Kepler, all the pitchers) can't win a spot on the Twins roster, why would the other teams want them? Kepler is WAY too raw. Polanco is worth protecting on the 40 man (not the 25 man) only because he may be the SS of the future. The pitchers aren't that special, but can you ever have too much pitching?

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 303 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I don't see Kepler being protected. That will happen next year I'd imagine, but given the time taken to develop him and the fact that he's only played at CR, I don't see it happening. I could be wrong though. The pitchers most definitely. I think Polanco is in the same boat as Kepler.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Everth Cabrera was selected from Low A by the Padres.

Polanco could be selected. Spend a year as utility. Get seasoning in minors in 2015.

With the large pitching staffs, utility infielder and the bullpen are the only spots to stash players. Protect Polanco.

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So, correct me if I'm wrong, we could protect Kepler and Polanco on the AAA 40 man. Is that not what Seth said earlier?

I don't see how Darnell would not get picked up so I'd add him. I want to see him make a couple starts for the Twins before he is dangled infront of some other team. Also, I would add most of the guys on that list if I could find/make room. Most (the prospects) seem to possess some tools that other organizations might find desirable. We will surely leave room open to draft a starter.

Do we draft 4th?

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    So, correct me if I'm wrong, we could protect Kepler and Polanco on the AAA 40 man. Is that not what Seth said earlier?
    If they don't protect them on the MLB 40 man, they would certainly protect them on the AAA roster. That means they could get drafted in the MLB Rule 5, but if they get through that, they would not be able to be taken in the AAA or AA portions.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    I would think it would be easier to stash someone on the AAA roster than the major league roster and not hurt their development. Might even be easier if they are a PCL affiliated AAA team. Polanco is not Everth Caberra.
    Last edited by old nurse; 11-20-2013 at 05:44 AM.

I just saw that Baltimore did an add to their roster, bringing their 40-man roster to 32. That's a lot of empty space. Looks like someone will be looking Rule 5. The basis for Rule 5 is that a team must have space on their 40-man (1 empty space going in) and they would grab someone better than anyone that they have to protect in their own organization. Two can play at that game. If there is anyone better than anyone in your organization available, you grab them. What makes the Rule 5 more interesting is the higher price paid for draft choices. Do you grab another team's multi-million dollar investment if available?

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you feel it is worthwhile go for it. This is a cheap roster upgrade.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Baseball America classifies Polanco as an "Extremely Likely" addition for the Twins 40-man:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...-5-protection/

Everth Cabrera example invoked. (My take: Cabrera was ~2 years older, and coming off a 73 SB season in the minors.)

Possible additions: Vargas, Kepler, Darnell, Achter

Edit: got its own thread here: http://www.twinsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=9498
    Last edited by spycake; 11-20-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Liked 93 Times in 55 Posts
    So Souch and Ruesse just sad that Hermson off, and Kepler, Polanco, Vargas and Logan Darnell added.
    Last edited by Halsey Hall; 11-20-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12