Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Roster Decisions: 40 Man Roster

Liked 205 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Roster Decisions: 40 Man Roster

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Well as a fan of section 219 , I will quote howard, there are only a dozen or so players worth keeping on the 25 man roster., so there is plenty of dead wieght that can be jettisoned prior to setting the 40 man roster, in fact I am surprised Ryan hasnt been working the Phones trying to package some of these players to obtain prospects we dont have to protect or to get players we would want to protect...My keepers start with pitching ,Cause thats our biggest need, Dean ,Darnell and Wimmers and we should keep 2b-ss Polanco and Vargas

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess the below guys stand a chance to be added or risk being taken:

Polanco - Surely
    Kepler (maybe - But there is little chance he could stick on a 25 man roster unless he gets stashed with a phantom injury)
    Vargas (strong maybe - some team would have to be really sold on his bat)
    Darnell (double strong maybe - His handedness could give a team a cheap team controlled LOOGY)
    Beresford (triple strong doubtful, but some team could take a chance on his bat/glove)

everyone else should not be protected because they won't be taken. - However I am not sure how the minor league portion of the draft works
    Last edited by clutterheart; 11-19-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am so baffled by the existence of Eric Fryer and BJ Hermsen on the 40-man, that I don't know how to think about limiting this to four guys. I wouldn't even consider Welker, and either Presley or Mastroianni has to go, so there could be up to 8 more guys added for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    everyone else should not be protected because they won't be taken. - However I am not sure how the minor league portion of the draft works
    Like the MLB 40 man roster, the Twins will have a 39 or 40 man AAA roster and a 39-40 man AA roster. Polanco needs to be added to the 40 man roster this year. Last year at this time, he would have been on the AAA roster, and the year before on the AA roster. Also, if the Twins don't put Kepler or Wimmers or Vargas or whoever on the MLB 40 man roster, they will certainly be on that AAA roster. Of course, if a player is selected in the minor league portion, he does not need to be offered back to the other organization, and he can be used on any roster in his new team's organization.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I am so baffled by the existence of Eric Fryer and BJ Hermsen on the 40-man, that I don't know how to think about limiting this to four guys. I wouldn't even consider Welker, and either Presley or Mastroianni has to go, so there could be up to 8 more guys added for me.
    Again, if the Twins are busy in Free Agency, they're going to need guys like those to remove from the 40 man. Again, if you add 8 guys, who are you going to remove from the 40 man roster when you sign a pitcher?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Again, if the Twins are busy in Free Agency, they're going to need guys like those to remove from the 40 man. Again, if you add 8 guys, who are you going to remove from the 40 man roster when you sign a pitcher?
    I'll take a shot at this:

- BJ Hermsen
    - Eduardo Escobar
    - Duke Welker
    - Eric Fryer
    - Liam Hendriks

Additionally, the following players might be tradeable for players that wouldn't need to be immediately added to the 40 man:

- Glenn Perkins
    - Trevor Plouffe
    - Anthony Swarzak
    - Oswaldo Arcia

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Drop: Hermsen

Add: Polanco, Kepler, Vargas, Wimmers, Oliveros, Darnell, Achter

Depending on how many spots they plan to fill, those would be my guys, in that order. Wimmers and Oliveros are question marks as far as health. I know Wimmers had minor elbow surgery and Oliveros only threw 3.2 innings in Venezuela. Any idea why Seth? I haven't been able to find anything on it.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only guy I am absolutely sure you'd lose is Achter. He may be ready to sit in an MLB bullpen already. A team could very well determine to keep him on their roster all year.

I really like Oliveros, too, though I cannot remember why. I'd protect him.

The others are not going to take a roster spot in 2014, unless someone gambles on Polanco like we did with Santana.

But hey! I don't know!
    Who out there sees someone else we would really lose?
    And this is only my 40-man roster ideas. I get depressed that there are minor league drafts I have to protect guys from.
    Last edited by Oldgoat_MN; 11-19-2013 at 02:00 AM.

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depends on how many you want to add. My guess is the Fryer and Hermsen are gone, then you could drop many of the following group, Diamond, Albers, Collabella, Mastro. I would be trying to trade Fien, Hendriks, Duensing Parmelle. Problems like this are good to have, if you have a very good farm system, you will lose players. Pirates lost like 6 a couple of years ago. I would add Polanco, Kepler and Achter for sure. Wimmers and Olivares are strong candidates for a bad team to take a flyer on a stash in the bullpen for a year. With the current pitching crunch do not consider Vargas and issue as he is 1-2 years away at least and stashing a hitter is much more difficult than a mop pitcher for a year.

(36) present roster
    (2) Free Agent Pitchers
    (1) Rule 5
    (2) Polanco, Kepler

The Astros are so bad they may stash Kepler on their roster for a year if not protected.

The Twins would need to drop Hermsen or Albers when they sign the second free agent.

Liked 1,187 Times in 537 Posts
    With the growth of major league pitching staffs, it's gotten extremely difficult to keep position player rule 5 picks if they can't contribute. Pitchers are much easier to hide. With that said:

I doubt any major league team is going to keep Polanco on its 25 man roster...no need to protect him. Same for Kepler.

Wimmers, Achter and Darnall are the most likely to be lost, IMO, so Id start with adding those three.

In regards to free agent signings.....if you sign a lefty, you remove Albers. If you sign a righty, you remove Worley or Hendriks. If you sign a catcher, you remove Fryer or even Herrmann (Rohlfing is the same as Herrmann and a year younger). If you need another spot, you can always exchange a free agent for Colabello. Then you still have Parmelee and Mastro on the bubble. You also have folks like Welker who could be removed during the summer months. Right now, the Twins have to get to the magic 39 number (I see Hermsen also getting jettisoned). And remember, Danny Santana is still there. Does he need to stay? Yes, any player removed from the 40-man roster must also go thru waivers. But with most 40-man rosters set, you should ore easily get guys thru who are not eligible for minor league free agency. Again, any free agents signed CAN replace aging prospects who have not panned out. Oh, Vargas is probably moot now that Mauer has moved to first base.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    With the growth of major league pitching staffs, it's gotten extremely difficult to keep position player rule 5 picks if they can't contribute. Pitchers are much easier to hide. With that said:

I doubt any major league team is going to keep Polanco on its 25 man roster...no need to protect him. Same for Kepler.

Wimmers, Achter and Darnall are the most likely to be lost, IMO, so Id start with adding those three.
    If another team left a top ten talent like Polanco or Kepler off their 40 man, I would want the Twins to pick and stash him for a year. It's not like the Twins will be in contention in 2014. This is how the Jays got Jorge Bell from the Phillies.

Every Twins decision should be based on 2015 to 2020.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Like the MLB 40 man roster, the Twins will have a 39 or 40 man AAA roster and a 39-40 man AA roster. Polanco needs to be added to the 40 man roster this year. Last year at this time, he would have been on the AAA roster, and the year before on the AA roster. Also, if the Twins don't put Kepler or Wimmers or Vargas or whoever on the MLB 40 man roster, they will certainly be on that AAA roster. Of course, if a player is selected in the minor league portion, he does not need to be offered back to the other organization, and he can be used on any roster in his new team's organization.
    That ^

Most of these guys will not be targeted at the MLB portion of the draft but at the AAA portion, which means being on the Rochester roster protects them.

I have a hard time seeing any team give a 25-man roster spot to Polanco or Kepler. Too raw. Or Wimmers. Too hurt. Vargas maybe because of his power.

The kind of players that teams might select in the major league portion of the draft are pitchers for situational relievers in the majors (Darnell, Dean, Achter - think Pressly) and maybe to fill some holes, but the semi-MLB ready players the Twins have (Romero, Ramirez etc,) were all free agents and could have been signed by a team if was aggressive.

I'd put Vargas on the roster. Switch hitting 40 HR power does not grow on trees. That leaves the Twins with 3 open spots. And I'd switch Darnell with Hermsen, just because. The rest are fine on the AAA roster. Maybe take Colabello off too.

Another thing that one needs to consider, is that, because this is the roster shakeup time and people are taken off and going through waivers, the Twins would need a spot or two open for their annual waiver claim dumpster diving...
    Last edited by Thrylos; 11-19-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    I think Logan and Polanco are for sure adds. Logan is a starting pitcher at AAA. And a lefty. Someone would take a flier on him. After that, I don't think it matters much. I do think they'll leave one spot open for a potential rule v pick but as others have noted, they can dump a few guys off the 40 man roster pretty easily - Hendriks, Herrmann, Hermsen, Parmelee, Colabello.

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I am so baffled by the existence of Eric Fryer and BJ Hermsen on the 40-man
    Don't let it bother you too much, it's just a matter of timing (although one could argue that shouldn't even really matter with these two).

If the Astros felt Polanco was a top ten Twins prospect, then why wouldn't they select him?
    They're not going to win 60 games with or without him.

I would protect Kepler for the same reason but I can understand rolling the dice that he's too far away.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Polanco needs to be protected. This kid will be given every opportunity to be the Twins SS of the future! Why would the Twins (or any team) not protect a good-hitting middle infielder?

Kepler can be left unprotected. He is too far away and he will not be picked up. He hasn't even played much A-ball let alone contributing to an MLB club.

Wimmers is a longshot to turn it around. Don't waste a spot.

Darnell and Achter are close and should be protected.

Vargas is has a 70 power tool. I would try and make room for him.

In summary:

Protect (in order of importance): Polanco, Achter, Darnell & Vargas

Leave unprotected: Kepler & Wimmers

Drop: Hermsen, Mastroianni & possibly Chris Herrmann (if they feel the need to protect Kepler or Wimmers)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Logic would agree with this. However at the same time, if a prospect like Polanco or Kepler were available for the Twins to nab, there would be plenty of us begging the team to do so. Many of us were hoping the team would take a flier on Braulio Lara last year and the Marlins actually did, though they soon returned him.

I agree that Wimmers, Achter and Darnell are most likely to get picked up. I would think Achter would be pretty close to a cinch to get picked in fact. If the Twins strong bullpen wasn't still intact, he'd probably be among the favorites to win a spot coming out of spring training anyway.

I'd probably gamble that Kepler won't get picked up, it's a long shot that he would, but his corner OF/1B availablility does provide some bench versatility. The lack of versatility is why we should not worry about Vargas getting picked. I'd also wonder about Wimmers and Oliveros but the Twins should at least have the advantage of being the only team with a reliable evaluation of their recovery timetable. If they are ready for a full season workload, they both have a strong shot at being claimed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast