Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Prospectus Goes Twins Crazy!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Parks also just said that if you took away the Twins numbers 1-10 players and just listed 11 through 20 as numbers 1 through 10, it would still be better than some other minor league organizations, including the Angels, Tigers and Athletics.
    That is true, but what I'm so impressed with is the depth... 11-20 would be a decent Top 10 compared to some organizations, but what I like is that there are a lot of guys that I'd rank in the 21-60 range that could fill a big league role, out of the bullpen, or as a 4th of 5th OF, or a utility infielder. Also, some of those younger players below 21 could move up quickly in another year. Like they said, it's an organization with lots of high ceiling players and plenty of depth.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ncgo4 View Post
    Let me see if I have this correct. In Buxton we have potentially got Willie Mays in center. In Sano we may have Eddie Matthews at third but with more HR's. With Stewart we just may have Nolan Ryan starting. I'd say that's a good start to a sound ML team. This was tongue in cheek...but I'm still giggling.
    I know you're joking, but frankly... those are the types of names brought up with these guys. I heard a lot of Willie Mays comps in Cedar Rapids, from guys that likely were old enough to remember a 19 year old Mays.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 817 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was listening to this... Interesting comment that Parks made that is debated here often is that he doesn't believe that they try to make players into an "organizational mold". He says they develop guys to be the best guy that this type of player can grow into... Interesting.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    For those who cannot read the article, start getting excited about Kohl Stewart. They describe him as both polished and "a no 1 type that could move quickly through a developmental system." 4 potential plus pitches, with the fastball and slider as potential "plus-plus."

They write that he could end up being the top pitcher in the minor-league class...by the end of next season. Nice.
    FB is ++
    SL is ++
    CU is above average
    CB is above average

Also, I participated in the press conference introducing Stewart to the Twin Cities media. He was also working on a sinker to go with it. He's got a ton of confidence, which I think bodes well. And, most exciting for me, he'll be able to focus solely on baseball now. My only concern with him is his shoulder (and because he's a pitcher, his elbow).

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I also feel the need to say this... I wouldn't give up on Kepler at all... he's going to have to figure out how to hit lefties better. And no, he's not going to be a centerfielder (Though, with Buxton and Hicks ahead of him, does it matter?), but he can be a left fielder or a first baseman. He's got the ability to get on base, and he does have some very good power. He hit 9 HR in a little less than half of a season in Cedar Rapids. There's no reason to believe that he can't eventually be a 25 HR a year guy, maybe more.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I also feel the need to say this... I wouldn't give up on Kepler at all... he's going to have to figure out how to hit lefties better. And no, he's not going to be a centerfielder (Though, with Buxton and Hicks ahead of him, does it matter?), but he can be a left fielder or a first baseman. He's got the ability to get on base, and he does have some very good power. He hit 9 HR in a little less than half of a season in Cedar Rapids. There's no reason to believe that he can't eventually be a 25 HR a year guy, maybe more.
    Here is the thing with Kepler:

-First base for the Twins is spoken for until 2019.
    -Walker, Harrison, DJ Hicks and Vargas at this point seem to have better bats for the DH/1B/OF types. And they have more power than Kepler. And probably better hit tool.

So I really think that Kepler is a sell high type of guy...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    That is true, but what I'm so impressed with is the depth... 11-20 would be a decent Top 10 compared to some organizations, but what I like is that there are a lot of guys that I'd rank in the 21-60 range that could fill a big league role, out of the bullpen, or as a 4th of 5th OF, or a utility infielder. Also, some of those younger players below 21 could move up quickly in another year. Like they said, it's an organization with lots of high ceiling players and plenty of depth.
    I wouldn't say depth, I would say question marks. Twins could go from a Top Tier system to a mid-tier system next year if some of the CR all-stars don't do well. The current top 4 or 5 guys would be the top prospects in any team's system. This is a given and these guys are what makes this system a top tier system. All 4 of those guys have the ability to contribute next year and make this team into a contender comes 2015.

But after that there is a huge drop off to guys who were in Cedar Rapids/Rookie Leagues last year. There is no other pitcher who ended the year at Fort Myers or above last year who I have any reasonable hope to be an 1 - 4 type pitcher. (Maybe May, but he looks to be bullpen arm to me) There is lots of interesting pitchers below Fort Myers but we can only reasonably expect 1 or 2 if we are lucky to actually make the Twins due to injury/talent and other TINSTAAPP issues
    The current system is weak on OF prospects with power - Outside of Arcia who is there who could help the team in 2014 or even 2015? – Don’t say Walker because he has HUGE contact/SO issues that he hast to fix and he hasn’t been able to fix even though he played college, he needs to prove it against pitchers who can throw with movement. Now that Mauer moves to 1B, this removes a potential problem at this position as there isn't anyone who looks to be a good hitting 1B until we reach Vargas.
    I do think Polanco will become the best prospect in the system, and hopefully he can end the year at AA next year – that would be huge!. And I liked a lot of players at CR/E-Town/GCL last year. But I think after the Buxton, Meyer, Sano, Rosario wave graduate, the system could drop to Middle of the pack because of the weakness in the upper levels – Unless of course everything goes right next year with Vargas, Walker, Polanco, Stewart, Thorpe, Rosario, Landa & Felix.
    Last edited by clutterheart; 11-18-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Unless of course everything goes right next year with Vargas, Walker, Polanco, Stewart, Thorpe, Rosario, Landa & Felix.
    That's a name that nor really mentioned among the Twins top prospects, but is a guy who is about to surprise a lot of people next season in the Midwest league...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

But I think after the Buxton, Meyer, Sano, Rosario wave graduate, the system could drop to Middle of the pack because of the weakness in the upper levels – Unless of course everything goes right next year with Vargas, Walker, Polanco, Stewart, Thorpe, Rosario, Landa & Felix.

The goal never was to have the top farm system indefinitely. Of the 2012, 2013, and 2014 drafts, only Buxton is in the first wave.
    Last edited by howieramone; 11-19-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
    Not going to argue with you Clutterheart but I will say that Parks noted that the Twins had depth throughout the org - not just in the low minors or rookie ball.

Some of these guys will fail but others will step up. No one saw Thorpe exploding this year and he's already at the point where prospect guys are weighing in on him, some pretty heavily. Sure, he has a long way to go.

Now, obviously, if the Twins graduate Buxton, Meyer, Sano and Rosario this year (with fellow top 100 guys Gibson, Arcia and Hicks graduated this year) the team rankings will fall. I'm ok with that. 7 top 100 guys reaching the majors in two years is great. That's the type of fall you want.

After that, you have one potential ace in Stewart, a #5 pick in the next draft and maybe one or two players break out (say 2 of Thorpe, Berrios, Polanco and Harrison) and the team could conceivably still have 4 top 100 guys for the 2015 season. (Berrios and Thorpe could be top 100 guys in some lists this year). That's a strong system and still better than middle of the pack.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    That's a name that nor really mentioned among the Twins top prospects, but is a guy who is about to surprise a lot of people next season in the Midwest league...
    All right, I'll bite. Who is this Landa guy? B-R lists him as a 6'0" righty we apparently signed out of Venezuela. His peripherals don't look great (although at rookie ball it doesn't really matter)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    I do think Polanco will become the best prospect in the system, and hopefully he can end the year at AA next year – that would be huge!. And I liked a lot of players at CR/E-Town/GCL last year. But I think after the Buxton, Meyer, Sano, Rosario wave graduate, the system could drop to Middle of the pack because of the weakness in the upper levels – Unless of course everything goes right next year with Vargas, Walker, Polanco, Stewart, Thorpe, Rosario, Landa & Felix.
    Good grief. I think your argument could be made about any system that will graduate two top 10 prospects and two top 50 prospects right after graduating 3 top 50 prospects (Hicks/Arcia/Gibson).

The great thing is that there is still some nice talent in the system despite up to 7 young players being up with the Twins for good by opening day 2015.

I completely disagree with thrylos's analysis of Kepler. Vargas (I like) and Hicks (I don't) are completely limited to DH and Walker has big plate discipline issues. Harrison and kepler are kind of comparable but I wouldn't say that Harrison is better (unless he sticks at 3B). Kepler's poor season was almost entirely BAPIP driven. He showed great plate discipline and pretty good power. These are things that I look at in prospects and Kepler has them.

Pretty awesome and crazy fellas. The craziest thing about all of this, is that we get to add another top 5 draft pick to this group. Also if we keep our 2nd rounder, that should be of high quality as well. Draft well this year and we will be set up for the next 5-10 years.

I hope as many prospects pan out as possible.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Good grief. I think your argument could be made about any system that will graduate two top 10 prospects and two top 50 prospects right after graduating 3 top 50 prospects (Hicks/Arcia/Gibson).

The great thing is that there is still some nice talent in the system despite up to 7 young players being up with the Twins for good by opening day 2015.

I completely disagree with thrylos's analysis of Kepler. Vargas (I like) and Hicks (I don't) are completely limited to DH and Walker has big plate discipline issues. Harrison and kepler are kind of comparable but I wouldn't say that Harrison is better (unless he sticks at 3B). Kepler's poor season was almost entirely BAPIP driven. He showed great plate discipline and pretty good power. These are things that I look at in prospects and Kepler has them.
    Like x100. Kab, during my time on this site you have provided some of the more insightful and accurate thoughts I've come across. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post

Agree with you on Kepler. One of the few good things about his AFL performance was his ability to take walks despite seeing a quality of pitcher he has never seen before. This is a positive indicator despite his otherwise poor AFL stats. His baseball experience is still pretty low so I expect this portion of his game to improve.

Regarding the natural cycle, my point is simply I don't think of what the system has as "depth." I think its top heavy with some super prospects on the verge followed by a bunch of "maybes" in the low minors. I think the team needs to hit on some position players next year in the draft. And of course if they could sign another Sano type player as an international FA, I would take that too.
    Last edited by clutterheart; 11-18-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Regarding the natural cycle, my point is simply I don't think of what the system has as "depth." I think its top heavy with some super prospects on the verge followed by a bunch of "maybes" in the low minors. I think the team needs to hit on some position players next year in the draft. And of course if they could sign another Sano type player as an international FA, I would take that too.
    For years people have complained about the system being too far away and now top heavy is an issue?

And this is still how systems work. If there were can't miss guys in the minors combined with Sano, buxton, Meyer and Rosario then this would be one of the most ridiculous systems ever. And I would still consider a bottom portion consisting of Stewart, pick #5, Thorpe, Berrios, Polanco, Kepler, Harrison and Gonsalves (among others) to be really good.

17. This user likes kab21's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (11-28-2013)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    All right, I'll bite. Who is this Landa guy? B-R lists him as a 6'0" righty we apparently signed out of Venezuela. His peripherals don't look great (although at rookie ball it doesn't really matter)
    He's one of The Big Three that we talked about at E-Town last year and GCL in 2012. He's not quite on the level of Jorge Felix, but he's ahead Rosario. Wiry, hard thrower. Long way to go, but he's got a chance.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Like I said above, by depth, I mean guys that can make the big leagues as role players... That's why we differentiate those top prospects, but when you've got guys in the 30s and 40s and 50s that you/I think have a chance to be bench or bullpen guys, that's depth.

As has been pointed out, if you've got 7 top 50 guys coming up and graduating within two years and that core goes with Mauer and some others, you're still going to need the Caleb Thielbars and Michael Tonkins and Eduardo Escobars to fill roles. When the Twins were successful, they usually had no more than one or two prospects coming up each year and contributing. Hopefully the team gets back to that soon.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,596 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't say depth, I would say question marks. Twins could go from a Top Tier system to a mid-tier system next year if some of the CR all-stars don't do well. The current top 4 or 5 guys would be the top prospects in any team's system. This is a given and these guys are what makes this system a top tier system. All 4 of those guys have the ability to contribute next year and make this team into a contender comes 2015.
    So after a team graduates seven top 100 prospects in two seasons, they'll be middle of the pack?

I'll take that all day.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,596 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Here is the thing with Kepler:

-First base for the Twins is spoken for until 2019.
    -Walker, Harrison, DJ Hicks and Vargas at this point seem to have better bats for the DH/1B/OF types. And they have more power than Kepler. And probably better hit tool.

So I really think that Kepler is a sell high type of guy...
    Agreed but the Twins can't sell high on Kepler this offseason. He'll need to put together a strong 2014 before his value rises again... 2013 wasn't horrible but it wasn't very good, either.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast