Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Prospectus Goes Twins Crazy!

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just to nip the "mediocre Cy Young" topic in the bud and get back to the Twins prospect talk, here are the number of Cy Young awards won by each franchise since 1967, which is when the AL got their own award:

BAL 6
    BOS 6
    DET 5
    OAK 5
    KCR 4
    MIN 4
    TOR 4
    CLE 3
    NYY 3
    CHW 2
    MIL 2
    SEA 2
    LAA 1
    TBR 1

You can decide for yourself what is mediocre or average. Now, let's get back to the prospect talk.....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    30 MLB teams 30-40 Cy Young winners. Mean ( = Mediocre) is 1-2 winners every 15-20 years. The Twins are the definition of Mediocre as far as this goes. Bell curve. The majority of the teams are mediocre, and few are good and few are bad.

Most fans are not alright with mediocrity and want their team to strive for excellence. For some Twins' fans (and the team management and the local press) jumping from horrible to mediocre seems to be enough unfortunately. Even going back to horrible seems to be ok...
    Well, the 30 teams doesn't quite play fairly to 2 CY Young Awards as your team in question can only win the AL CY OR the NL CY. It's the same ratio, but yeah, each time is only eligible for 1 CY.

To be "average" or mediocre, that would mean you win .0667 CY per year or 1/15. Thus, simply, every 15 years, it would assume the average of 1 CY.

The Twins have 2 CY's in 10 years (above the average). Johan in 2004 and 2006. If WHIP and other Sabermetrics had been as populare in 2005, Johan would have had a 3 consecutive. Colon won with 21 Ws on a poor 3.48 ERA 157 SO performance.

If you want to go back another 15 years, for a total of 30 years, that is back to 1984 to get to the next whole Cy Young Award (last I checked they don't hand out CY's in quarters, thirds or any non integer).

The Twins now have Frank Viola's 1988 CY season on the books. 4 years ahead of the curve. Once again, above average. Twins 3, Average 2.

This feels like the electric slide...

Take it back 15 years y'all...

That brings us to 1970. 45 years total. Guess what? Jim Perry won the CY in 1970. So here, the Twins are again, above average. Twins 4, average 3.

The Five teams without a single CY winner?
    Cincinnatti, Colorado, Miami, Texas, Washington

The teams that are average to below average (or mediocre in terms of CY Awards)
    include the:

Chicago White Sox
    Cleveland Indians
    San Francisco Giants
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
    Houston Astros
    Milwaukee Brewers
    Pittsburgh Pirates
    Seattle Mariners
    Montreal Expos
    Tampa Bay Rays
    Cincinnati Reds
    Colorado Rockies
    Miami Marlins
    Texas Rangers
    Washington Nationals

*Note the number of teams in each league has varied through the years, but not enough to make the Twins an average team.
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 11-18-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Boy, reading that Buxton profile - I need to take a deep breath. He is really exciting. Trout is the recent comp, but to me he sounds like Rickey Henderson. That's nuts.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For those who cannot read the article, start getting excited about Kohl Stewart. They describe him as both polished and "a no 1 type that could move quickly through a developmental system." 4 potential plus pitches, with the fastball and slider as potential "plus-plus."

They write that he could end up being the top pitcher in the minor-league class...by the end of next season. Nice.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 794 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Trout is the recent comp, but to me he sounds like Rickey Henderson. That's nuts.
    The Twins need more players who talk about themselves in the third person.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by John Bonnes
    Trout is the recent comp, but to me he sounds like Rickey Henderson. That's nuts.

Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    YES!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    For those who cannot read the article, start getting excited about Kohl Stewart. They describe him as both polished and "a no 1 type that could move quickly through a developmental system." 4 potential plus pitches, with the fastball and slider as potential "plus-plus."

They write that he could end up being the top pitcher in the minor-league class...by the end of next season. Nice.
    That would be awesome. I don't have a BP subscription but I know someone at BA listed him as the fastest "high school arm to majors" in the last draft. And some scouts liked him better than the collage pitchers. God, I hope he stays healthy.

Twins have gotten some criticism (which I'm not sure is fair) about slow promotions of minor leaguers but the Twins had a bunch of our top prospects do two levels this year - Buxton, Sano, Rosario, Stewart (and the quick promotions for Arcia and Hicks).

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    James agrees with this.

James also thinks more people on TD should talk like Ricky Henderson.

In the podcast they mentioned that a scout said that Buxton's floor was around a Torii Hunter level. That's his projected floor!!! That part is nuts.

When asked about Buxton's ceiling, the scout apparently laughed and basically said the sky is the limit. Threw out... Willie Mays.

If we don't get Willie Mays level of play, James will settle for Ricky Henderson.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Blog Entries
    For those who cannot read the story, listen to the podcast. I'm only 8 minutes into it and needed to stop to take a cold shower. "[The Twins minor league system] has the depth of the Astros' system and the impact of the Cubs' system."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    If we don't get Willie Mays level of play, James will settle for Ricky Henderson.
    For current lack of a "like" button, I'll just quote that part for my fervent agreement!

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 293 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Boy, reading that Buxton profile - I need to take a deep breath. He is really exciting. Trout is the recent comp, but to me he sounds like Rickey Henderson. That's nuts.
    He has Ricky's legs, Torii's outfield tools, and Eric Davis's hitting tools. Pretty exciting.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Blog Entries
    Parks also just said that if you took away the Twins numbers 1-10 players and just listed 11 through 20 as numbers 1 through 10, it would still be better than some other minor league organizations, including the Angels, Tigers and Athletics.

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post

Now this makes me excited.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Let me see if I have this correct. In Buxton we have potentially got Willie Mays in center. In Sano we may have Eddie Matthews at third but with more HR's. With Stewart we just may have Nolan Ryan starting. I'd say that's a good start to a sound ML team. This was tongue in cheek...but I'm still giggling.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah. Rickey is a good comparison. But better defense and better concentration than Rickey. The thing is that in the older days they use to run more and get kids up in the majors young, so Rickey's records will stand.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    If anything, relievers need better command than starters because they have less margin of error when they come in. It's the primary reason Deduno never made it as a reliever but he does OK as a starter.
    This isn't really accurate. RP'ers eliminate their worst pitch from their arsenal and just concentrate on 2 pitches. They also only see hitters once in a game and only a couple times per season. So a pitcher with control problems can seemingly be fixed with a move to the bullpen.

Dan likes this post very much. Dan can't wait to see these prospects with the Twins. Dan thinks we will be seeing the other end of the standings soon. Dan also thinks Rickey Henderson is hilarious.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 62 Times in 43 Posts
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

For those who cannot read the story, listen to the podcast. I'm only 8 minutes into it and needed to stop to take a cold shower. "[The Twins minor league system] has the depth of the Astros' system and the impact of the Cubs' system."
    Lol took the words right out of my mouth, I was more than confident that Parks did that whole evaluation with a semi. He was frothing at the mouth over the system. I think there's only 2 options for us as twins fans though and we should split them up evenly
    1. PRAY that they all stay reasonably healthy and half develop to be as expected
    2. Provide personal bodyguard and security for them to enhance step 1

ready? BREAK

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just opposite end of the spectrum on personality/humility!! But, I think that's a fair comp.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast