Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Bullying in Baseball???

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bullying in Baseball???

So, will the Gatorade Dump and Shaving Cream Towels become a thing of the past??? Or will the perpetrators have to do it in disguise or with an alias or go - or go - or go Incog -whatever? I ask only slightly in jest, because I have to believe that MLB is already discussing the effect of the Miami Dolphin issues and will probably adopt some over-the-top and unnecessary reactionary policies before pitchers and catchers report.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strumdatjag View Post
    So, will the Gatorade Dump and Shaving Cream Towels become a thing of the past??? Or will the perpetrators have to do it in disguise or with an alias or go - or go - or go Incog -whatever? I ask only slightly in jest, because I have to believe that MLB is already discussing the effect of the Miami Dolphin issues and will probably adopt some over-the-top and unnecessary reactionary policies before pitchers and catchers report.
    I doubt they will disappear. What should disappear, if there are any, are racial slurs and threats of violence. Gatorade dumps and shaving cream towels are intended to be good-natured and are usually done for those who have experienced success, a "good day at the office." While the facts are still coming out, the Incognito-Martin situation appears to go well beyond good-natured ribbing, and there are some lines that can not be crossed, even with good intent.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Shaving cream towels and Gatorade dumps are far different than what Incognito was doing.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I recognize that the Incognito-Martin interaction is more serious than Gatorade Dumps and Shaving Cream Towels. However, once the Commissioner's Office, the owners and the lawyers start discussing potential litigation and potential monetary and public-relations costs, the possibility of an over-reaction is real. The end result could be the MLB functional equivalent of the zero-tolerance policies that get kindergartners with water pistols expelled from school. You know that this is being discussed in the offices of MLB and that policies will be adopted. I just hope those policies leave the players free to engage in the "good-natured" ribbing that is part of the fun of the game.
    Last edited by strumdatjag; 11-17-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
    I recognize that the Incognito-Martin interaction is more serious than Gatorade Dumps and Shaving Cream Towels. However, once the Commissioner's Office, the owners and the lawyers start discussing potential litigation and potential monetary and public-relations costs, the possibility of an over-reaction is real. The end result could be the MLB functional equivalent of like the zero-tolerance policies that get kindergartners with water pistols expelled from school. You know that this is being discussed in the offices of MLB and that policies will be adopted. I just hope those policies leave the players free to engage in the "good-natured" ribbing that is part of the fun of the game.
    You believe they might do something yet have not even someone else writing a whisper that there is even a problem in any level of baseball. Different cultures and temperments between baseball and football. MLB has other things to worry about besides problems that do not exist.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    I love watching grown men that make good money act like idiots.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 183 Times in 113 Posts
    I think things like shaving cream pies, snapping towels etc are more likely to go b/c the team is concerned about stupid injuries - Kendrys Morales a few years ago broke his leg at a home plate mash up, someone this year hurt their eye with the shaving cream pie - than concern over bullying.