Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Garza?!

Matt Garza?!

Matt Garza Open To Returning To Twins
    By Steve Adams [November 15 at 2:14pm CST]
    Matt Garza is open to a return to the Twins, Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN reports. Wolfson offers more on Garza, via Twitter, stating that he hears the Twins are more interested in Garza than Ricky Nolasco, despite earlier reports that the Twins are making a "strong push" for Nolasco.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...-to-twins.html

Imagine that! First TR signs Bartlett back and then goes and gets Garza...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    This would be welcome news for sure. A four year 60 million deal would be perfect for him. Heck I'd even add a fifth if we could get Garza over Nolasco. Again, plenty of room to spend some coin and no major impending free agents/arbitration guys for the next handful of years. I like it, hope all this smoke is from a fire and not just a steaming pile of crap.

Go ahead and get excited but this happens EVERY YEAR! It is a classic move by Terry Ryan. He puts the word out there that the Twins are heavily pursuing these high priced, highly sought after Free Agents and then, he says, "oh we tried hard for them but just didn't get them." It's ridiculous.

I think they will sign 1 pitcher and it will most likely be Arroyo, in my opinion. I think they should sign three (Arroyo, Nolasco, and Kazmir/Johan) but I just don't see it happening. There is no way Garza comes here and for it to be even brought up is ridiculous and just another ploy by Terry Ryan.

Liked 2,992 Times in 1,271 Posts
    Color me skeptical...but intrigued. Hard to imagine anything more unlikely yet at the same time attractive.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

I apologize for being grumpy about this but I hear the same garbage from Terry Ryan every year and I can't believe I was once excited about him coming back. He is a penny pincher and it drives me nuts.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Smcginnity View Post
    I apologize for being grumpy about this but I hear the same garbage from Terry Ryan every year and I can't believe I was once excited about him coming back. He is a penny pincher and it drives me nuts.
    I don't think anyone can blame you. I'm giving him one more year though. I really do feel like this might be the year they put some coin out there. It really made little sense last year to start spending too much on guys. Now we actually have some prospects getting close to debuting either this or next year or just debuted. It's quite realistic that all of Meyer, Gibson, May, Pinto, Sano, Buxton, Tonkin come up and stay up this year. Last year we were hoping Hicks would be good and that Gibson might be ready at some point. This year we have a lot more guys close to contributing. If all goes well we could be in the wildcard hunt with 2 or 3 good starting pitcher acquisitions. A Garza,Arroyo,Gibson,Correia, Deduno/Worley/Diamond starting 5 wouldn't look so bad especially if you figure Meyer and May are ready to come up by midseason.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    I don't think many Twins fans are getting excited over vague rumors... it will take actually deals to do that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    I'm a skeptic and a pessimist, but even I'll admit that this is a new level of public disclosure. It could be a masquarade, but we have not seen this before, the Twins have never been linked to top free agents aside from unlikely and unsubstantiated rumors, at least not since Andy McPhail was running things.

This information is coming from sports writers (with sources) and agents. This is totally new territory.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    We all know the Twins lack of spending, but I think this year is going to different. It has else fans will not be going to the stadium. However, I still dont think we will get Garza, but at least this year we are linked (weakly) to the top pitchers. Its a start but we still need to see results and people signed.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Almost forgot about Rosario and Hicks. Just lots of solid guys on the cusp where the right veteran acquisitions might make the difference.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 603 Times in 337 Posts
    Go ahead and get excited but this happens EVERY YEAR! It is a classic move by Terry Ryan. He puts the word out there that the Twins are heavily pursuing these high priced, highly sought after Free Agents and then, he says, "oh we tried hard for them but just didn't get them." It's ridiculous.

I think they will sign 1 pitcher and it will most likely be Arroyo, in my opinion. I think they should sign three (Arroyo, Nolasco, and Kazmir/Johan) but I just don't see it happening. There is no way Garza comes here and for it to be even brought up is ridiculous and just another ploy by Terry Ryan.
    I disagree. Normally the Twins are not this active in their public involvement. Part of the problem last year was not only an utter disaster of results, it was the seemingly pathetic effort. The Twins told us they were active, but no one nation-wide picked up on that.

This year, they are picking up on it. Which tells me, at the very least, we're being significantly more aggressive. That's at least encouraging.

I hope I'm wrong. I just think Terry Ryan has financial priorities way before fan appreciation priorities. It's frustrating. I do think it's strange the number of free agents we are attached to right now but I think it will all be for little in the end. It would be smart to build the pitchers to prep for the youth movement. That means getting a guy that can mentor Trevor May, Kyle Gibson, and Alex Meyer (such as a Josh Johnson or Arroyo type). Or, getting guys that can be ready to compete for a wild card again in 2015 and 2016 - Kazmir, Nolasco, and Garza fit this mold the best.

Either way, I think the Twins need to sign three guys. 1 guy on a 1-year deal (Johan) and 2 guys on 2-3 year deals.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    If the Twins can sign Garza and Arroyo, (I like Arroyo because it would be a 2 or 3 year deal), I'd be ecstatic. The rotation would go from "dumpster fire" to legitimately "good".

I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment though.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I hope I'm wrong. I just think Terry Ryan has financial priorities way before fan appreciation priorities. It's frustrating. I do think it's strange the number of free agents we are attached to right now but I think it will all be for little in the end. It would be smart to build the pitchers to prep for the youth movement. That means getting a guy that can mentor Trevor May, Kyle Gibson, and Alex Meyer (such as a Josh Johnson or Arroyo type). Or, getting guys that can be ready to compete for a wild card again in 2015 and 2016 - Kazmir, Nolasco, and Garza fit this mold the best.

Either way, I think the Twins need to sign three guys. 1 guy on a 1-year deal (Johan) and 2 guys on 2-3 year deals.
    Terry Ryan's priority is to avoid a long rebuild and build a team which can contend in the Central for many years. Fan issues necessarily come second.

Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Terry Ryan's priority is to avoid a long rebuild and build a team which can contend in the Central for many years. Fan issues necessarily come second.
    I don't think those are mutually exclusive. They are the same thing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Ryan traded for Barlett, his people drafted Garza. There should be no wonder why Ryan is interested in these players

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,173 Times in 624 Posts

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

The Pohlad's concerns comes before the fan's concerns for Ryan.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I don't think those are mutually exclusive. They are the same thing.
    No one said they are mutually exclusive, but they are far from the same thing. We can't even agree on this board with approximately 300 regular posters on how to proceed.
    Last edited by howieramone; 11-15-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd be happy with Garza. I definitely prefer him to Nolasco. However, I wouldn't be upset if we missed on both. I'd much rather they shop in the middle tier: Kazmir, Feldman, Arroyo, Johnson, Hughes. Just much better value there IMO.

If I'm signing a long term contract, I'd rather they hand one out to someone in the 2015 class: Scherzer, Bailey, Lester, Shields, Masterson. That also would fall right into the window where most our top prospects will be contributing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast