Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: More rumors: Twins on Nolasco

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Speaking of Jackson, would the Cubs package him and Samardzija for say Correia ,Gibson Duensing and Parmele?
    For a topic switch like this, please start a different thread. Thanks.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nolasco is Correia+. Is that not sinking in? That means his value is something more akin to the Arroyo 2/$16 million mark. How is this not clear? There are people here willing to sink $50 million over 4 years for a 4th starter?

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,271 Times in 759 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    There are people here willing to sink $50 million over 4 years for a 4th starter?
    He's better than his numbers?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    He's better than his numbers?
    Yeah, over 1300 innings with a career ERA+ of 94. At some point we have to say, with established pitchers, that the numbers don't lie.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, over 1300 innings with a career ERA+ of 94. At some point we have to say, with established pitchers, that the numbers don't lie.
    It was just a reference to Terry Ryan's quote about Correia, given your linking the two players.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    It was just a reference to Terry Ryan's quote about Correia, given your linking the two players.
    I got that you weren't making an argument, though I didn't catch the reference to Correia. It makes me a little sick!

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nolasco is Correia+. Is that not sinking in? That means his value is something more akin to the Arroyo 2/$16 million mark. How is this not clear? There are people here willing to sink $50 million over 4 years for a 4th starter?
    I don't think you are being fair comparing Nolasco to Correia. When exactly did Correia last strike out more than 7/9? They are different pitchers, and the more I look at Nolasco, the more I think this might be a guy that outperforms his contract. In the last four years where he has been solely in the majors, his K/9 has been pretty good (except 2012). His BB/9 has held steady around 2.1. His WHIP has dropped each year as well, as has his HR/9. His ERA has also dropped steadily. I don't expect him to suddenly turn into an ace, but I think there's good reason to think he could pitch like a 2/3 for the duration of a 4 year contract.

Blog Entries
    The main thing I worry about with Nolasco is that he has operated under the benefit of home parks catering to pitching, and still hasn't excelled. Target Field may also be favorable to him, but I don't see reason to think he'll suddenly be above average. And a four-year contract, which looks likely if you're going to snare him, adds to the risk.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345