Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More rumors: Twins on Nolasco

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts

More rumors: Twins on Nolasco

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...a-headley.html

Not sure what I think of Nolasco - fangraphs likes him a lot more than b-r does. He's still pretty young and more or less durable. Sounds like someone is offering him a 3 year deal but he wants 4.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    That's encouraging.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    If they can get Nolasco on a 3 year deal I'm all for it. 4 year deal? No thanks. He isn't a stud. He is an innings eater who has never pitched in the AL but won't cost a draft pick.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    That's encouraging.
    Nolasco & Arroyo would dramatically improve the rotation. It's good atleast knowing that even though they are #3 starters whose contract demands are known but the Twins are still being aggressive early.

Maybe TR really will spend. Also how many pitchers haven't had better years after joining the Twins even coming from the NL? It doesn't seem like many haven't.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 303 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm... the rumor here is a lot less strong than the Arroyo one. The 3 year offer is separate from the Twins connection. In addition to Arroyo, "it's possible that they're in on Nolasco" says the writer.

MLB Trade Rumors predicted a 4/52 contract for Nolasco earlier.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    Maybe TR really will spend. Also how many pitchers haven't had better years after joining the Twins even coming from the NL? It doesn't seem like many haven't.
    All but one? Pelfrey, Marquis, Hernandez, Ortiz. Correia was better than expected but am I missing someone else? The Twins free agent starters from the NL not only fail, they all are so bad they usually get their walking papers by June. Pelfrey was an exception but only because the Twins had no one else to plug in at that time.

Senior Member All-Star
    Jeff Pass an:

Agent: Ricky Nolasco has multiple four-year offers. Source believes one is $52M, could end up as high as $60M.

Hahahaha, $60M for Nolasco? Crazy.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think this off-season we will see a lot of:

The Twins are on ____________

(Fill in the blank with any Free Agent starting pitcher name)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I'm not so sure $60M for five would be crazy. It would be a bargain as THAT pitcher would be surrounded by minimum wage guys thru most of his contract. The bigger question always is, regarding a National league pitcher, how does he fare when he faces a bat rather than a #9 non-hitter on a regular basis. This might be the bargain signing of this decade. Is Garza getting $100 million for the same length? Would you pay Hughes the same? I would rather pay this amount that whatever Santana is asking, that's for sure.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like durability is what the Twins are looking for. I'd be happy with Arroyo due to some intagibles I feel he'd bring. He'd bring some leadership and he could mentor some of the younger pitchers. Not only on pitching but on what it takes to pitch 200 innings every year.

I'm not that excited about Nolasco. He's durable and puts up a great FIP and xFIP every year but his ERA has been under 4.48 just twice in his career. At some point you just have to say it's not bad luck and maybe he just isn't that good. His LD% has always been high so hitters square up his pitches and his K% has been down the last 3 years. At $50M+ I'd rather get Jason Vargas if they're looking for durability. Not that I'd want Vargas either though

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I may have a full report on Nolasco for my post tomorrow (or maybe some other topic) but this actually surprised me while culling the data: His slider is actually pretty good and has improved in 2013.

Ricky Nolasco.PNG

This does not make him a good bet for a four or five year deal but it was surprising to learn that his secondary offering is much better than I had previously perceived.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    I'm not so sure $60M for five would be crazy. It would be a bargain as THAT pitcher would be surrounded by minimum wage guys thru most of his contract.
    I agree with this thinking and this offseason the Twins have a shot at proving they feel the same way. We have such small future salary obligations that we could adopt a slightly above market value offer approach to free agents. At the end of the day none of us should really care what they pay someone as long as we bring in better players than we currently have and don't mess up our ability to sign homegrown prospects longterm if they prove worthy down the road.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts
    durable just means overdue for an injury

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Jeff Pass an:

Agent: Ricky Nolasco has multiple four-year offers. Source believes one is $52M, could end up as high as $60M.

Hahahaha, $60M for Nolasco? Crazy.
    Yup. but that is what it is going to take to get a FA pitcher

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    I rather them sign Arroyo instead if Nolasco is going for that much. Both are mid-back end inning eaters.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    I really like Arroyo and Kazmir. At 5 and 60M for Nolasco, I would look to make a trade and if push comes to shove sign Pelfrey. I don't see anyone worth going 4 years for, much less 5. The Twins aren't going to ring the bell next season, and the worst thing that can happen to them is to get another top 10 draft choice.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

(Fill in the blank with any Free Agent starting pitcher name)
    Even if it's a smokescreen or a half effort negotiation, this is still a step forward. Last year they not only completely failed at FA, they didn't even give the appearance of trying. It's easier to sell "Hey, we tried our hardest" when there is at least some evidence you were.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,236 Times in 492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

drugs?

the highway to hell?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Liked 2,200 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    drugs?

the highway to hell?
    Like button... Bring it Back!!!
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Like button... Bring it Back!!!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast