Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Talks with Bronson Arroyo "heating up"

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Does that bother anyone else; us going after guys hard but a week later and still no rumored offers? I had hopes that they were ready to wow some guys and get them to sign early, but with each passing day I become a little more sceptical.
    Typically, things don't get rolling until winter meetings. There may be a small handful of signings before then, but most of the signings start then. I'll be bothered if they come home there empty handed.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    Yes. It bothers me. A lot.

I know it's early. I know there is plenty of time.
    But that is what you do when you are pussy-footing around, trying to get a deal.

The Twins need to stand up and actually PAY for a potential top of the rotation pitcher. There are a few out there that might actually have excellent years. The kind of arms that are not a band-aid for 2014, but maybe useful for the Twins' future.

They are so proud of players who leave money on the table to sign here. Well, congratulations. That is part of what has gotten us 3 seasons in a row in which our team lost over 95 games.

Arroyo would be fine, but only if there was a significant signing along with him.

TR is concentrating on the wrong end of the list right now.
    I have lost all confidence that he has any intention in signing a pitcher that will be above league average.

So much so that I have stopped coming to TD many days. Love the Twins, hate what occurs as a lie of an effort to improve the club.

And you don't even have a like button any more.
    My world crumbles...
    *Like*

over half the teams in MLB have signed an MLB free agent and several have signed three. I know many of these were their own free agents but still, there should at least be offers on the table. The optimist in me says there has to at least be offers out there that we don't know about right!?!? *sigh*

its like coming to TD and the like button being gone, seeing lots of complaints, staring your own thread about "where's the like button", and hearing it'll come back...but a week later "chirp, chirp"

Give us some Mojo TR And TD!!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arroyo talked about the Twins, Giants, Angels, Dodgers, and Phillies as suitors last night in an interview on MLB Radio.

Supposedly, he also talked about his contract expectations -- anyone hear that part?

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Arroyo talked about the Twins, Giants, Angels, Dodgers, and Phillies as suitors last night in an interview on MLB Radio.

Supposedly, he also talked about his contract expectations -- anyone hear that part?
    3 years. No $ talk
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    3 years. No $ talk
    Ahh -- thanks. I wouldn't be surprised if the Twins have to be the team willing to do 3 in order to get him (or seriously outbid for 2). Wouldn't love it, but such is your lot when your team stinks.

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I understand that much occurs at winter meetings. I get that. I accept it. What I don't get or accept is when players like Arroyo and Nolasco have offers on the table and it is report that the Twins aren't one. Both players sound interested in us. I just feel like we wait for everyone else to act first so we can wait and see where the cheap buys are at. We are rich but we are waiting for all the quality meat to be bought, and then choose from the spoiled that goes on clearance.... Gross.

Is it against the rules to approach Arroyos' agent and say, "what will it take to sign your client, today?"
    "We are looking for 3 years and 12.5 per year."
    "Ok. We will pay that. See my accountant and lawyer on the way out to finish up the little details. Now, if you would excuse me, I need to let Chance know I'm not screwing around, and I actually signed someone!"
    Last edited by Chance; 11-19-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post

Specifically Arroyo mentioned "the Phillies, the Dodgers, the Angels, the Giants, the Twins, maybe even the Orioles," as the teams who have called on him. Playing armchair psychologist, I'd guess being the first team he named, the Phillies are his preferred choice.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I understand that much occurs at winter meetings. I get that. I accept it. What I don't get or accept is when players like Arroyo and Nolasco have offers on the table and it is report that the Twins aren't one. Both players sound interested in us. I just feel like we wait for everyone else to act first so we can wait and see where the cheap buys are at. We are rich but we are waiting for all the quality meat to be bought, and then choose from the spoiled that goes on clearance.... Gross.

Is it against the rules to approach Arroyos' agent and say, "what will it take to sign your client, today?"
    "We are looking for 3 years and 12.5 per year."
    "Ok. We will pay that. See my accountant and lawyer on the way out to finish up the little details. Now, if you would excuse me, I need to let Chance know I'm not screwing around, and I actually signed someone!"
    The problem with putting offers on the table early is the player might accept it. There is nothing wrong with waiting a bit, and Arroyo is far from the most "quality" meat on the market at this point. I would prefer they are more passive with back end rotation guys like Arroyo and don't risk overpaying, and are more aggressive with a top guy like Garza.

Make Garza an offer or another top guy an offer, if they don't accept then goto plan B:Nolasco C and D: Arroyo

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    The problem with putting offers on the table early is the player might accept it. There is nothing wrong with waiting a bit, and Arroyo is far from the most "quality" meat on the market at this point. I would prefer they are more passive with back end rotation guys like Arroyo and don't risk overpaying, and are more aggressive with a top guy like Garza.

Make Garza an offer or another top guy an offer, if they don't accept then goto plan B:Nolasco C and D: Arroyo
    This is what I suspect, however, it would then imply the Twins already have an offer out to their top target. We have also heard that the Twins do not have an offer out to Nolasco, implying neither he nor Arroyo are their top targets (awesome). Do they have an offer out to Garza now? Perhaps Johnson who might take his time as he has said he wants to pitch for San Diego or San Francisco and neither may be interested?

While only having an offer to their top target would make sense, it has been reported that the Twins are trying hard to acquire two quality free agent pitchers. Do they have two offers out now? Seeing as top athletes often like to play with other top athletes, perhaps signing your second or third choice first might help sway your top choice into picking you.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 11-19-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goulik View Post
    *Like*

over half the teams in MLB have signed an MLB free agent and several have signed three. I know many of these were their own free agents but still, there should at least be offers on the table. The optimist in me says there has to at least be offers out there that we don't know about right!?!? *sigh*

its like coming to TD and the like button being gone, seeing lots of complaints, staring your own thread about "where's the like button", and hearing it'll come back...but a week later "chirp, chirp"

Give us some Mojo TR And TD!!
    Like.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 176 Times in 104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    The problem with putting offers on the table early is the player might accept it.
    The Twins should have such problems! "Oh, I wish these free agent pitchers would stop coming here!"

Liked 1,048 Times in 474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    The Twins should have such problems! "Oh, I wish these free agent pitchers would stop coming here!"
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567