Thread: Article: Ron Gardenhire discusses Joe Mauer's decision

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Ron Gardenhire discusses Joe Mauer's decision

@OverTheBaggy

Liked 347 Times in 197 Posts
    They also have enough payroll flexibility that they can sign a stopgap and work on a long-term solution.

The best thing about all of this is that Mauer made the decision NOW rather than two months from now, or worse yet, in spring training or during the season.

One of the best ever.. tip o' the cap and many more good years to come.

Joe.jpg

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...t_gardner.html
    Last edited by Hosken Bombo Disco; 11-12-2013 at 05:03 PM.

I really hope Doumit does spend much (or any) time behind the plate. I hope they go get a older catcher to help Pinto and catch some days.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pjmcnally View Post
    I really hope Doumit does spend much (or any) time behind the plate. I hope they go get a older catcher to help Pinto and catch some days.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    They also have enough payroll flexibility that they can sign a stopgap and work on a long-term solution..
    The market is getting really crazy out there. Allegedly Ruiz turned down a 2 year / $20 million offer. If this is the case the only "veteran" catcher to protect Pinto would be Doumit or Fryer (I know.) At least Butera was traded.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder why Herrmann isn't getting steam as an option at catcher. He caught 80 games in 2012 and 67 total between the MLB and AAA last year.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    I wonder why Herrmann isn't getting steam as an option at catcher. He caught 80 games in 2012 and 67 total between the MLB and AAA last year.
    People are basically writing him off even though he is still getting used to the league. I think he can be a high-600s OPS guy, which for a backup catcher/fifth outfielder is not bad when coupled with average defense.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pinto's total year last year was ridiculously good offensively and he is just a bit below and average defensive catcher. Herrmann is a slightly above average defensive catcher now and will become an average offensive backup catcher. Why spend money on this instead of starting pitching . . . blows my mind.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Pinto's total year last year was ridiculously good offensively and he is just a bit below and average defensive catcher.

Short. Sample. Size. And you are mistaken, in that short sample size he was actually very bad defensively according to the stats.

I will say it again, there is a reason why the Twins:
    1. Had Pinto DH half of his games at AA.
    2. Are actively looking for a C on the Free Agent Market.

They realize that Pinto frankly isn't good enough defensively to be the every day C, again, he does have the potential to be a "better" Doumit as a guy who can catch when needed and DH when needed, but I think people need to start to realize that it's highly unlikely that Pinto becomes the every day catcher.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And by "every day catcher" you mean...plays 120 games at the position...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The defensive (MLB) stats...are a small. sample. size. as well if you're considering the range factor, rtot, rdrs, etc.

He had only 1/8th of a season defensively. Can be trends with that as far as the putouts, assists, etc.

Salty only threw out 21% of baserunners, allowed a MLB high, 89 SB, yet he's the 'every day catcher' (121 games caught) for the World Champions.
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 11-13-2013 at 11:10 AM.