Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Rumors and Expectations

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Rumors and Expectations

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would pay Santana more than you want, Jimenez less than you want, and certainly Nolasco WAY less than you want. 4 years and $50+ million for Nolasco is insanity! He is Correia+.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    By 2017, we will be able to provide our starting pitchers from our farm system. I wouldn't go over 3 years. Also, I would make prospects 5-15 available for the right starting pitcher.

So is the $75 mill to negotiate have any drawbacks besides the cost? Heck go all-in and sign this kid. Twins wont sign A.J. to catch...he is productive but has that terrible personality which is something we try to avoid. I cross my fingers on Pinto but dont expect the same numbers. Tanaka and Hughes would be good, a trade for Price better yet. I dont even know why I'm commenting...just keep giving us the goods!

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    By 2017, we will be able to provide our starting pitchers from our farm system. I wouldn't go over 3 years. Also, I would make prospects 5-15 available for the right starting pitcher.
    Other than Meyer who will arrive before 2017 (hopefully in 2014), the starting pitchers in the Twins system are a. not even close to being a "sure thing" that they will make it to the majors and perform and b. are those 5-15 prospects...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
    The numbers you throw around aren't ace money anymore- that's #2 starter money.

I wouldn't be real 'nervous' about the Twins spending on someone like Ubaldo because they have no other use for the money, besides enriching the Pohlads further. The Twins payroll has plenty of space over the next 3-4 years, even if several prospects do well in 2014 and start their service time clocks.

They could sign one of the top FA pitchers, still be active in FA in future years, and still keep their own guys (few of whom are currently worth keeping), all while staying well under their alleged budget. Just go to Cot's and plug the numbers... it's actually quite hard to bust their budget.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 163 Times in 86 Posts
    I'm not sure I'd go all in on Pinto based on less than 100 at bats. Salty would be nice but I can't see them spending that kind of money when they can save it by bringing Drew back.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 217 Times in 149 Posts
    I'm not aware of anyone that thinks any of those guys are ace types. You can either sign one of these risky guys, or go with the staff they have now. Which one is more likely to product good pitching?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I'm not aware of anyone that thinks any of those guys are ace types. You can either sign one of these risky guys, or go with the staff they have now. Which one is more likely to product good pitching?
    I think going dumpster diving and/or making a trade is the prudent course. I understand we have more than enough money to make a bad deal, but I would save the bad deal money for the unknown.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    I think going dumpster diving and/or making a trade is the prudent course. I understand we have more than enough money to make a bad deal, but I would save the bad deal money for the unknown.
    I don't understand....are you suggesting that every FA signing is bad money? You don't trust TR and the scouts to find the right guy? I also have no idea what your last sentence means.

Are you talking about trading prospects for proven pitchers? Or something else?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 55 Times in 41 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Almost any of the FA pitchers, by year 3, teams will be giving up good players/prospects to try to get rid of them. None of them have had more than 2 'average' seasons in a row.

If the Twins have any players performing well, they need to continue to parlay those players for prospects.

e.g. I'd give quite a few of them 1-2 year deals. Higher salary. Like a Josh Johnson, give him $14M for 1 year. He's 10-2 at the All-Star break, trade him to a contender at the July deadline for a AA top 100 pitching prospect (e.g. Alex Meyer) and another stud A prospect.

These guys available are not good free agent pitchers. I'd big high for 1-2 year deals on these guys. Parlay them for picks if they're doing well. If they have a 2 year deal the team trading for the pitcher would get pick(s) the following year if that player leaves which would then replenish the prospects they gave up to get him while getting them in/through the playoffs.

Also, I don't agree that 2017 is when our pitching prospects will arrive. The 'average' is just over 4 years for a high school pitcher. Many of these guys have already been in the minors 1-3 years.

These are my timelines for when the Twins pitching prospects will arrive in the big leagues. If they don't make it by the year given or the following year - they won't be anything more than average to just not cutting it. It's the years listed (+1) or break.

2014: Alex Meyer, Michael Tonkin, Trevor May (late)
    2015: Mason Melotakis, Luke Bard, Zack Jones, DJ Baxendale
    2016: Jose Berrios, Tyler Jones, Brett Lee, Felix Jorge, Kohl Stewart, Ryan Eades, Stephen Gonslaves, Corey Williams, Michael Sulbaran
    2017: Yorman Landa, Randy Rosario, Fernando Romero
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 11-12-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    I know some have cited next year as a better crop of free agents. Sure there are a few more guys who you might consider aces like scherzer or bailey but that's a long ways away, it seems like some of those guys always sign extensions before they're let go.

I would push for a 1-1-1 model to take a measured approach, to free agency, the farm system and the pitching staff.

1. Sign one decent starting pitcher, don't break the bank. Really any of the above guys makes sense. I'm thinking a 3-4 year deal getting around 10-12 million per year. Hughes, Kazmir, Arroyo. whoever, I suppose you could delve a little higher if they feel they can risk it cashwise. But do a deal like this that will add a little stability. I'd be hoping for a guy with a #3 floor (barring injury).

2. Take a flier - Go after a Josh Johnson or Johan on a 1-2 year deal maybe w/ an option. Gives you a high upside guy that could sit on IR or possibly be the Ace you are looking for for a year or two while our other guys develop.

3. Make a trade. We've got a rich farm system and while I don't want to be giving Tampa their next Rookie of the year for David Price maybe giving Detroit a call on Scherzer, or the Reds on Bailey is a smart move. Gives you a top of the rotation guy and even if we give up 2-3 good prospects we're still sitting w/ a nice farm system and a top 5 pick coming into the system next year. An extension is a must though if you're giving up valuable pieces to get a guy like this.

2014 rotation
    Kazmir 8-10 million 2-3 years
    Johnson/Johan 1-2 years
    Bailey/Scherzer 4-5 year extension at 15-20 per

That's a decent 123 and you've then got Gibson/Correia/Deduno/Worley/Diamond/Meyer fighting for the other 2-3 spots. We've got money sunk into the rotation sure cuz

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Twinsfan34, I think we are pretty much in agreement. I use a 3 to 1 ratio. 3 top prospects will yield 1 solid major league starter. We have Gibson and Meyer, so we need 9 more top pitching prospects. I like your years 2016 and 2017. I would add our first pick in 2014, and Wimmers as a darkhorse. By 2017 we should be able to take care of our starting pitching needs internally.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    I'm not sure I'd go all in on Pinto based on less than 100 at bats. Salty would be nice but I can't see them spending that kind of money when they can save it by bringing Drew back.
    I hope that the last sentence is pure sarcasm
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Sorry didn't finish that last comment.
    Basically this sinks around 30 million into the rotation for a couple years. That still gives us 10 million to play with this year to add apposition player. Plus you've got the hammer, Correia, and Doumit all coming off the books in 2015 to give us 16 million more to play with that year. No major players are in arb or will be in arb by 2015 so that's not a major concern there.

The Twins are in a nice spot payroll and farm system wise. They can risk a little and overpay for a mid rotation arm, trade for a top of the rotation arm and sign an upside guy without hamstringing the franchise financially or selling the farm.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    Sorry didn't finish that last comment.
    Basically this sinks around 30 million into the rotation for a couple years. That still gives us 10 million to play with this year to add apposition player. Plus you've got the hammer, Correia, and Doumit all coming off the books in 2015 to give us 16 million more to play with that year. No major players are in arb or will be in arb by 2015 so that's not a major concern there.

The Twins are in a nice spot payroll and farm system wise. They can risk a little and overpay for a mid rotation arm, trade for a top of the rotation arm and sign an upside guy without hamstringing the franchise financially or selling the farm.
    Well reasoned statement here.
    Lighten up Francis....

Okay, the Twins get $25 million in TV monies. 52% of that is like $13 million that they didn't have last year and will have for future years. You can buy a nice front-line starter for that money. My question is, where does that other $12 million go. You can buy a lot of draft choices (above and beyond the money you already have budgeted), hire additional ushers for each empty section of the stadium, give bigger glasses of beer or larger hot dogs now for the same price, let everyone park for free every season to see a Twins game, remodel the executive washrooms at Target Field, pay down Stadium debt sooner...or spend ALSO that money on additional talent on the field, which will increase revenue in most areas like concessions and such that would probably more than compensate holding onto that media payoff for stiockholders and more comfortable chairs in the Legends Club.

Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Almost any of the FA pitchers, by year 3, teams will be giving up good players/prospects to try to get rid of them. None of them have had more than 2 'average' seasons in a row.

If the Twins have any players performing well, they need to continue to parlay those players for prospects.

e.g. I'd give quite a few of them 1-2 year deals. Higher salary. Like a Josh Johnson, give him $14M for 1 year. He's 10-2 at the All-Star break, trade him to a contender at the July deadline for a AA top 100 pitching prospect (e.g. Alex Meyer) and another stud A prospect.

These guys available are not good free agent pitchers. I'd big high for 1-2 year deals on these guys. Parlay them for picks if they're doing well. If they have a 2 year deal the team trading for the pitcher would get pick(s) the following year if that player leaves which would then replenish the prospects they gave up to get him while getting them in/through the playoffs.

Also, I don't agree that 2017 is when our pitching prospects will arrive. The 'average' is just over 4 years for a high school pitcher. Many of these guys have already been in the minors 1-3 years.

These are my timelines for when the Twins pitching prospects will arrive in the big leagues. If they don't make it by the year given or the following year - they won't be anything more than average to just not cutting it. It's the years listed (+1) or break.

2014: Alex Meyer, Michael Tonkin, Trevor May (late)
    2015: Mason Melotakis, Luke Bard, Zack Jones, DJ Baxendale
    2016: Jose Berrios, Tyler Jones, Brett Lee, Felix Jorge, Kohl Stewart, Ryan Eades, Stephen Gonslaves, Corey Williams, Michael Sulbaran
    2017: Yorman Landa, Randy Rosario, Fernando Romero
    Not to mention back of the rotation guys like:

Logan, Wimmers, Dean in 2014 for example.

Plus the Twins will still have names like Hendriks, Albers, Diamond, Worley, Pressly hanging around.

Maybe Hermsen will rebound.

You would hope hat by 2016 the Twins would have a Rays caliber rotation of homegrown tlent with bodies to trade.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
    There are a number of posts in this thread that imply in the next couple of years we will have enough guys from the minors graduate to the majors that we won't have spots available for any free agents and that free agent pitchers may actually inhibit good pitchers from coming up. I did a quick analysis of the past 5 World Series winners and looked for guys that met the following criteria:

- Started 10 or more games for team that year
    - Signed to a major league free agent contract or traded as a major league player.

I found the following:

Boston 2013
    Lackey
    Dempster
    Peavy

San Fransisco 2012
    Zito

St. Louis 2011
    Lohse
    Carpenter
    Jackson
    Westbrook

San Fransisco 2010
    Zito
    Wellemeyer

New York 2009
    Sabathia
    Burnett
    Pettitte

On average the teams that win the World Series have about half of their staff made of Free Agent pitchers or big trade acquisitions. I don't think it is realistic to think that we will have a staff full of minor league developed talent (+Correia for 1 year) and actually win anything.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Okay, the Twins get $25 million in TV monies. 52% of that is like $13 million that they didn't have last year and will have for future years. You can buy a nice front-line starter for that money. My question is, where does that other $12 million go. You can buy a lot of draft choices (above and beyond the money you already have budgeted), hire additional ushers for each empty section of the stadium, give bigger glasses of beer or larger hot dogs now for the same price, let everyone park for free every season to see a Twins game, remodel the executive washrooms at Target Field, pay down Stadium debt sooner...or spend ALSO that money on additional talent on the field, which will increase revenue in most areas like concessions and such that would probably more than compensate holding onto that media payoff for stiockholders and more comfortable chairs in the Legends Club.
    Great model that if no matter how much your revenue goes up, you pocket 48% of it....there is only so much of that $12MM you can spend on non-salary stuff. At some point, they already have a lot of new revenue, that has gone to non-salary expenses. Not sure what else it is being spent on.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast