Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: The Ripple Effect of Mauer's Move to First

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 482 Times in 316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Colabello-Parmelee: Besides the "how acquired" and "how old" there is the defense aspect. Chris Parmelee is a capable right fielder and a decent first baseman. Colabello is neither. The other factor of note is handedness. With "franchise makers" Buxton and Sano as righties along with Dozier and Pinto, it would seem that adding (or keeping) left-handed sock would be important over and above Arcia and Mauer. In a platoon situation, Parmelee might thrive. If Colabello is platooned, it means he is a bench player who gets probably 40 starts guaranteed when a lefty starts for the opposition. My observation is that both players are flawed and won't amount to much, but that Parmelee has the better chance of being a productive regular. Colabello not so much, but if he were to thrive it would be one heck of a story.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 482 Times in 316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano: Someone offered up the opinion that there was absolutely no reason to start Sano in the minors in 2014. The answer is that there is--and it is the year 2020! Holding Sano back at least three weeks leaves him under team control for 2020 when he be about 27(?). Keeping him in the minors until past midseason avoids super2 arbitration and changes his salary and contract to the team's advantage as long as he is a Twin. That is not even counting the benefit he might enjoy from playing part of a season in AAA.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123