Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Reason to Sign A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I think they just realize that Doumit is a very poor catcher defensively and if called upon would not be a realistic answer as the primary catcher.
    Totally agree, but the only thing at stake next year is player development, so shopping for a second veteran catcher seems like such a waste of the front office's time and energy, considering the cost of playing time from Pinto/Herrmann, additional roster decisions, salary, etc.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    I think the development of the young pitchers is also an issue here. Bringing Meyer and Gibson up to the majors would go much smoother with a catcher that .... can catch. A vetran catcher is important for player development. Developing the young pitchers.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 86 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For those of us a bit older and with a longer memory, AJ was a hot prospect and a good player. While there MAY or may not have been some issues with his "aggressive" personality, let us remember that the real reason he was traded was because the Twins had the best prospect in baseball at the time in Mauer ready and AJ had real value that brought us 2 grea players and a temporarily good one in Bonser. And despite is "reputation" any real animosity is simply from his time with the hated pale sox.

He has been, and still is, an experienced and quality big league catcher. Also a leader of sorts and an offensive player to boot. You don't think any FA pitchers the Twins target wouldn't like to see the Twins being aggressive and providing a quality veteran backstop? Further, what real trouble has he ever really caused besides being a thorn in the backside of opponents? And said reputation has always been as that thorn BUT a good teammate.

Experience, defense, offense and a left handed compliment to Pinto whether ready out of spring or in to the season. A perfect fit for us!

4. These 2 users like DocBauer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (12-01-2013), Winston Smith (12-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    For those of us a bit older and with a longer memory, AJ was a hot prospect and a good player. While there MAY or may not have been some issues with his "aggressive" personality, let us remember that the real reason he was traded was because the Twins had the best prospect in baseball at the time in Mauer ready and AJ had real value that brought us 2 grea players and a temporarily good one in Bonser. And despite is "reputation" any real animosity is simply from his time with the hated pale sox.

He has been, and still is, an experienced and quality big league catcher. Also a leader of sorts and an offensive player to boot. You don't think any FA pitchers the Twins target wouldn't like to see the Twins being aggressive and providing a quality veteran backstop? Further, what real trouble has he ever really caused besides being a thorn in the backside of opponents? And said reputation has always been as that thorn BUT a good teammate.

Experience, defense, offense and a left handed compliment to Pinto whether ready out of spring or in to the season. A perfect fit for us!
    Welcome!

but I disagree. :-) ....but not necessarily... It would depend on AJ , is he ok being a part time player? Is he asking something reasonable? On its face it makes no sense so there must be a back story or bigger plan in the works. He's had a remarkable and injury free career and I loved the guy, no doubt. I also want to see what Herrmann and Pinto can do though.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts
    I don't see A.J. being happy playing for a last place team.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    And while ole I would be very interested in AJ in the broadcast booth, I'd be even more interested in him coaching at the end of his playing career.
    AJ a coach in training under Molitor? It would be very unTwinsie to let a guy with fire inside run anything but its probably the change they could use. If not here AJ seems the type to be a manager at some point. Probably punch out a guy or two for gettin lippy.

8. This user likes GBR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (12-01-2013)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    I don't see A.J. being happy playing for a last place team.
    $$$$$

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Consider the sudden improvement to the current bench if AJ is signed as a backup to Josmil Pinto and Doumit is not traded. The bench suddenly has AJ from the left as DH and backup catcher, Doumit as a switch-hitting DH and reserve corner outfielder (and reserve catcher in an emergency/injury situation or late inning substitution), and Escobar and/or Bartlett as utility infielder plus Mastro as reserve corner and center Outfielder. That should add a few Twins runs over the course of a season. Plus, AJ is more likely to be an upgrade as Twins color guy in the booth after he retires.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Finally, remember what Ozzie G said about AJ, "If you play against him, you hate him. If you play with him, you hate him a little less." AJ will get more than enough at bats between DH, pinch hitting and backup catcher. He'll kick a little butt in the clubhouse. And the Twins fans will "hate him a little less."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    I love this move and not because of his bat (which is solid for a catcher), but he calls a great game for his pitchers. How many no-no's and perfecto's has this guy caught. The ART of calling a game and working umpires and batters is an unmeasurable metric, but like those "framing" stats, it DOES have an impact. Being a pain in the @ss is a bonus for our clubhouse too. Pinto the everyday catcher and Steinbach, Mauer AND Pierzynski all can teach him the finer intricacies of handling a staff and calling a game. AJ is good at that.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 127 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't hate the idea of bringing back AJ. I don't know if he would accept a role where he started 50-70 games. I don't think he is any better as a DH than Doumit.

I watched him a good bit with the Rangers this past year and while his hitting slipped a bit I was most impressed with his handling of the pitchers and pitch framing. I would like to see him here to help our pitchers and bring a little attitude and leadership to the clubhouse.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 61 Times in 41 Posts
    With all respect, what is going right in the Twins clubhouse?
    Or is it just chilling out and (passively) waiting for the next AB?

Exactly. So-called "troublemakers" have no place in baseball, right?
    Ty Cobb was an aberration, and a respectful attitude to fellow players is what makes the game great.

Last thing we would want is for 'our Twins' to step out of the MN/Scando-something mold and get pissed at losing, then do something about it. Win! (or try your best) Twins!

Better stay the course. Safer = better.

Hosanna.
    F5, then post.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 61 Times in 41 Posts
    This thread dead yet? Or, does the word from LEN3 bring it back to life?

AJ is an "edgy" guy and MIN's clubhouse is as edgy as a billiard ball right now.
    Play the game right. Do the little things. Blah blah blah. Enough already.

Solid, winning attitude (he has a ring) C w/good offensive production & can mentor Pinto- what's not to love about this deal? Good battery mate for new signs Nolasco & Hughes, could inspire confidence in them & spur guys like Correia, Deduno, and the rest.

Is it AJ vs. Salty now? Why is there a debate? AJ is the perfect solution, gets Pinto ready for '15 & saves us money in doing so.
    F5, then post.

17. These 2 users like BigTrane's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (12-01-2013), Winston Smith (12-02-2013)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 127 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dave--Pinto is only 24 and while he's been a professional a long time, I think the rededicated Pinto still has work to do to become a quality receiver. Secondly, he was nicked some (shoulder?) where he couldn't catch, but could still hit. At NB, he was their best offensive player until Sano got called up, so he was used as a DH. I think that long-term he has the tools to be a better defensive receiver than either Saltalamacchia or Pierzynski. Chris--In the past two years, Pinto has had an excellent BB/K ratio. It wasn't the case in (SSS) Rochester, but in September he showed decent patience and raked. I think Pinto's bat is very close to ready to become a regular. If the Twins add a catcher, I would prefer to see a short contract or a veteran backup like Ryan Hanigan, so that Pinto isn't blocked.

AJ Pierzynski is the second most hated player. So we went from one of the most beloved catcher (Mauer) to hated Pierzynski. I wouldn't like it at all because AJ wants a 2 year deal and probably wants to start at catcher. I realize this guy hit 17 home runs but he also did play in Texas with the short porch. I'm going to guess since he's left handed he hits like 8 Home runs because of TF. Pierzynski is 37 and according to the mlb player poll he "treats pitchers with less than 5 years of experice like peasants". Feel bad for Gibson, Meyer, Deduno, Worley, and etc. I would prefer maybe Salty because he's young or maybe Navaro to a 1 year deal.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    But the real question is...can he play the outfield

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aj had 76 strikeouts last versus just 11 walks. Holy cow. That scares the hell out of me. No way I can give him a multi-year deal. One-year with and option he can earn is the best I can do.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Aj had 76 strikeouts last versus just 11 walks. Holy cow. That scares the hell out of me. No way I can give him a multi-year deal. One-year with and option he can earn is the best I can do.
    He's only been an above-average offensive player once in the past ten years, going by wRC+. He'll be 37 next season. Pinto may need another year at AAA, but not two. If he gets a multi-year deal, he has the best agent in the World. I'd prefer Navarro. I truly wonder how many people would be hoping for AJ to be here next year if he hadn't played here before.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

23. This user likes Brad Swanson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (12-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    But the real question is...can he play the outfield
    So true. Its like a prerequisite for gardy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast