Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Reason to Sign A.J.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Best Reason to Sign A.J.

Reason #3: Professional Hitter and DH off the bench, and he has some power
    Reason #2: Backup Catcher and mentor to Pinto (trade Doumit)
    But the #1 Reason is:
    He'll be retiring soon and he wants to go into broadcasting. I want him associated with the Twins when both happen (one leads to the other). Think of anyone who would be more entertaining (albeit probably sometimes infuriating) than AJ as a color guy (Bert? Coomdog? Jelly Roll Smalley? Dazzleman? NAH! AJ is the guy!)

2. This user likes strumdatjag's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (12-01-2013)

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pierzynski owns a career 94 wRC+ and is going to be 37 years old. I think he still has value, but it is not as a DH.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    But the real reason is to get him and the public ready for AJ on FSN or K-Twin

Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    I was assuming that all you were going to post was a picture of AJ and his bleach blonde hair.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

A.J. can DH as well as, say, Doumit. Plus, he can catch. Plus he is a "player." Love him, hate him, he makes things happen for better or for worse.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    His temperment might be helpful in the bland clubhouse but surely there will be some internal resistance from those who still embrace the mild and reserved demeanor. Those same individuals likely carry more weight in personell moves off the diamond, which is why I suspect the Twins want nothing to do with a bold and brash broadcast personality.

My #1 reason

Quote Originally Posted by strumdatjag View Post
    Reason #3: Professional Hitter and DH off the bench, and he has some power
    Reason #2: Backup Catcher and mentor to Pinto (trade Doumit)
    But the #1 Reason is:
    He'll be retiring soon and he wants to go into broadcasting. I want him associated with the Twins when both happen (one leads to the other). Think of anyone who would be more entertaining (albeit probably sometimes infuriating) than AJ as a color guy (Bert? Coomdog? Jelly Roll Smalley? Dazzleman? NAH! AJ is the guy!)

We we need some life and accountability in the clubhouse! Who on the current roster is willing to be the least bit vocal? It's a long season and joe Mauer is an incredible talent but by all indications loathes taking any leadership role. AJ would change some of the country club mindset. Sign him!!!

Liked 1,590 Times in 793 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First three google hits for AJ Pierzynski after his name:

A.J. Pierzynski most hated
    A.J. Pierzynski stats
    A.J. Pierzynski fight

Almost anything the club does to take away playing time from young players who have a chance to contribute is just shooting themselves in the foot. Signing AJ would be upgrading the foot-shooter from a .38 to a 9mm.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 11-12-2013 at 01:38 PM.

10. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

#24 Sano (12-01-2013)

Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I will take AJ for his role as clubhouse pain in the ass. I don't care if he hits .190 or if he even steps on the field.

I didn't like the bland play of the Twins last year and I didn't like reading or hearing reports of a bland locker room.

A pain the butt guy just might make other players better. A pain in the butt guy... Might show our precious young players how to start spitting on the opponent instead of getting spit on by the opponent.

The 2014 season needs some toughness displayed for all to see to build for 2015 and beyond.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Amen!!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    First three google hits for AJ Pierzynski after his name:

A.J. Pierzynski most hated
    A.J. Pierzynski stats
    A.J. Pierzynski fight

Almost anything the club does to take away playing time from young players who have a chance to contribute is just shooting themselves. Signing AJ would be upgrading the foot-shooter from a .38 to a 9mm.
    Exactly.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 96 Posts
    Heyman says the Twins are in talks with AJ!

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...n-to-minnesota

As a backup, I like it.

Great move. Make it happen Ryan!

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    I'm fine with it as long as Pinto plays the majority of the time and it's just a one year deal.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Can he frame the low pitch?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good lord - I'm going to need to learn how to spell his name again? First Mientkiewicz, now this?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if there is something they know about Doumit that we don't yet ? He and AJ seem like awfully similar players.

And while ole I would be very interested in AJ in the broadcast booth, I'd be even more interested in him coaching at the end of his playing career.

20. This user likes John Bonnes's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (12-01-2013)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I wonder if there is something they know about Doumit that we don't yet ? He and AJ seem like awfully similar players.
    I think they just realize that Doumit is a very poor catcher defensively and if called upon would not be a realistic answer as the primary catcher.

AJ is nothing earth shattering, but he is still solid defensively, can handle the "primary catcher role" and still has a solid OPS (.722 94+ last year, .827 120+ the year before) and 15-20 HR power.

If anything the interest in AJ and Salty indicates to me that they aren't confident at all that Pinto can stick defensively full time at Catcher. I know we all want to believe that Pinto could become that every day catcher with a .850 OPS behind the dish, but the fact that the Twins DH'ed him half of the time at AA shows how they feel about him full time behind the dish.

If anything, I think Pinto could hopefully become a "better" Ryan Doumit, 100 games at DH etc and 40 games or so behind the dish as back up C.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/j-pierz...0673--mlb.html

I kind of went over the AJ possibilities in this article, but I'll also add this.

I think his attitude would be huge to get in that clubhouse. I don't think he'd destroy the culture there, but give it a shot in the arm. As a 37 year old veteran, he could play the Redmond role with a little more fire.

A.J. could also be a nice stopgap for Pinto to give him one more year of seasoning at Triple-A. His offensive stats were really nice up here, but I think his K to BB ratio was horrible. I'd like to see a couple more months at Rochester for him and then we'll see what we have.

If they think Pinto could be ready for late 2014 or 2015, they'll take A.J. Otherwise, they might give Salty a good luck. Either way, I think somebody is getting brought in.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Best Reason to Sign A.J.

Maybe Gardy will resign and take Rick Anderson with him and Molitor takes over as manager.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast