Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Short Memory: Twins Sign Jason Bartlett

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins sign Jason Bartlett

ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick tweeted out this morning that the Twins have signed former shortstop Jason Bartlett to a minor league deal which includes a spring training invite.

Bartlett, who is a career .271/.336/.366 hitter, did not play in 2013.

I assume this is a prelude to bringing back Johan Santana.
    @OverTheBaggy

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Nothing to be worked up over, yet still eyeroll- and laughter-inducing.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    "Super Bowl homie", or maybe "we're coming, we're comin". Not sure which applies here.

Not sure why this is a better idea than giving the young guys they have a shot, or finding a AAA/AAAA player that has been blocked. But, this is one minor move. Let's hope this is not a prelude to going after old guys, and not rebuilding.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    The Twins need depth at the position. They seem to have decided that Escobar is a utility infielder and they don't have any prospects at shortstop that could otherwise challenge Florimon, so I'm OK with this. I'd rather they sign a shortstop that's an obvious upgrade over Florimon, but whatever.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    This is the kind of serious move I think we all have been waiting for.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    jctwins, if the like button was still showing up for me, I'd like that.....
    Lighten up Francis....

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Short Memory: Twins Sign Jason Bartlett

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    They still might sign someone else (even though the SS market is after the the top two). This is a minor league deal, if it works…genius. If not, no big deal. My question is, what was Jason doing last year? AAA, independent, Japan, rehab, smelling the roses?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    They still might sign someone else (even though the SS market is after the the top two). This is a minor league deal, if it works…genius. If not, no big deal. My question is, what was Jason doing last year? AAA, independent, Japan, rehab, smelling the roses?

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice, fun signing. His wife is from Rochester. I want to say that he lives there in the offseason as he's done a lot for the Red Wings in the offseasons the last several years, even since he left the organization.

I am certain he's being promised nothing. He basically hasn't played for two years. The Twins have some options for Rochester infield, like Beresford, Santana, etc., but if he makes the AAA roster, would be a nice story, and if he doesn't, oh well. And, if he makes the Twins roster at some point in 2014, that would be a great story!

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    I'm pretty ok with this, it at least has some upside.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 67 Posts
    Though this is--just that--a minor deal. I think this should subdue the notion that Gardy was ill-disposed with Bartlett.

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope this is a sign that the Twins will bring back Matt Garza (and Eduardo Morlan)

I see this as a potential AAA depth signing, and somewhat redundant to the re-signing of Doug Bernier. If Bartlett plays for the Twins in 2014, unless he is back to his crazy Rays season form, it would mean that 2014 was a waste too...

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's maybe a replacement for Ray Olmedo.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He was last good in 2009. He won't want to end up in Rochester so there is nothing to do this. Can't be, right?

But . . . on a typical Shane note, if he DOES want to stay in Rochester . . . James Beresford, Danny Santana, and Eddie Rosario will have to make room, or something, for a washed up player. Typical.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Any idea if his contract will have one of those clauses where if he isn't added to the major league roster by X date he can ask to be released?

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm surprised Bartlett could only find a minor league deal. Smart on his part since if he finds any sort of shred of his former self, he's going to unseat Florimon pretty easily. Bartlett was a plus defender whose bat had some upside.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They probably make similar minor league free agent signings every winter. He isn't going to hold Rosario and Santana.

Rosario's defense may hold him back. They may decide he doesn't have the skill to play second defensively and move him to LF. If that happens, Bartlett's signing will not be the reason.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Though this is--just that--a minor deal. I think this should subdue the notion that Gardy was ill-disposed with Bartlett.
    I'm not sure how a minor league deal almost a decade later fixes the fact that Gardy chose Castro over him. I'm not sure anything fixes that stupidity.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
    Unless Dozier regresses or gets hurt I don't see Rozario at 2nd base anymore. I think he ends up back in the outfield after things shake out. I know Beresford doesn't hit the long ball but I like his defense better at second and I think he will be a good hitter as well. Santana I don;t know what to think. I really think Bartlet is a long shot but why not give him a shot? If he hangs out in Rochester anyway and has some baseball left in him maybe he makes our team or maybe if does well in AAA we can trade him who knows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast