Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Article: It's official: Twins announce Joe Mauer move to first base

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 346 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    And by the time that happens, Mauer at catcher is a very dubious proposition even without the concussion issue.
    Its dubious to claim that as a certainty. He very well could have still been doing that in two years. Plenty of catchers have been very productive in their early 30s. Not to mention, you don't adjust until you have to. In this case, we had to for medical reasons. Not production.

You continue to take issue with a simple point - if his production stayed up, would they want to move him? Absolutely not. So it's disappointing that while he still is producing that this choice was forced with no clear backup plan. It adds another hurdle to a team with enough of them already. Couching this as fixing some hypothetical in three years to ignore the very real, current problem is really straining to miss the point.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Its dubious to claim that as a certainty.
    Good thing I didn't claim that as a certainty then, huh?

Stop putting up straw men for a minute and actually do some reading on how catchers age.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 346 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    Good thing I didn't claim that as a certainty then, huh?

Stop putting up straw men for a minute and actually do some reading on how catchers age.
    Thats an odd attack considering my point has been consistent. Here it is.....again....Mauer breaking down was never a guarantee. Nor was keeping him from a concussion with a move.

The only guarantee is tht the Twins will suffer worse catcher play for as far as the eye can see after this move. That will hurt the team, how much remains to be seen. It's another hurdle to a team with plenty already. All the tangents you've taken it on just ignore what's a pretty simple point that others on this very thread have basically said "well, yeah, that's obvious". Why you've taken issue with it is beyond me.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 11-12-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Liked 709 Times in 456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moderator Note:

Drivlikejehu,

I would have deleted your last post but since it was already quoted by Levi. It's kind of pointless to delete it now.

I'd like to see the intensity go down a couple of notches in the discussion.

U2 Levi.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 11-12-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456