Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: It's official: Twins announce Joe Mauer move to first base

Mauer has accrued WAR at approximately 4.4 per year for his career - I believe that puts him behind only Johnny Bench for catchers (pace, not overall). Is there someone on this board that can figure out what Mauer's WAR would have been as a 1B? (Or I guess we would have to make oWAR comparisons at C and 1B cause it probably isn't fair to factor in dWAR...)

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm in agreement with the idea of your point, but I'm not sure converting his WAR directly to 1B values is fair either. The whole idea of the move is that he'll stay healthier and more productive by not catching. It'll be interesting to see how his production responds to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    What catchers out there would be better than a mix of Pinto/Herrmann and Doumit?
    Pinto and AJ?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Mauer has been pretty stubborn about a move previously. the doctors at the Mayo must have been pretty convincing.

Like previous posters have suggested, I really don't like the power translation at 1B.

Hopefully this move helps from a historical perspective. Perhaps it will aid him in winning another batting title and help in reaching 3,000 hits. Those are personal numbers and don't mean much in terms of winning games but the part of I still enjoy seeing those individual victories.

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;">Why would the Twins need to carry a third catcher. Mauer, if he even plays a dozen games behind the plate during the year, can now be that third catcher if needed. At bthe most, I might still drag him behind the plate for the next couple of years to catch his one favorite starter.</span><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;"><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;"><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;">Doumit is a DH. Bench guy. Emergency catcher if your real one goes down.&nbsp;</span><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;"><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;"><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;">Herrmann is the decent bench guy/backup when Doumit leaves.</span><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;"><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;"><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;">Pinto will need a but more seasoning.</span><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;"><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;"><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;">So, if the Twins have money to burn -- bring back A.J.</span><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;"><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;"><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;">Let's see...A.J., Santana, add Neshek to the bullpen with Crain, let's grab Garrett Jones in place of both Parmelee and Colabello, Bartlett shines and starts at shortstop until the Twins resign Hardy for 2015. Maybe we need to get Casilla and Valencia back and trade Worley back for Revere or go after Span since both centerfielders seem to be on the market. Just like old times! Give a million to Kubel. Justin will be standing in the wings yelling, "Hey, remember me!?"</span>

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    I'll be interested to see if the move from catching has an affect on Mauer's hitting, especially his power, which generally, is said to come from the legs, as they should be far better rested.

Unfortunately, (imho), this move likely nixes any chance for Morneau to resign (unless Doumit or Willingham is traded).

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure I'm not alone with my first thought was, "Man, am I glad they didn't cut Eric Fryer from the 40-man!"&nbsp;<br><br>On a serious note, good for the Twins for recognizing this as a major issue and making the move sooner rather than too late.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson 2m For those saying the #MNTwins are fine w/ Pinto/Herrmann/Doumit: Told they've reached out on Saltalamacchia & at least one other FA catcher.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Mauer has been pretty stubborn about a move previously. The doctors at the Mayo must have been pretty convincing.

Like previous posters have suggested, I really don't like the power translation at 1B.

Hopefully this move helps from a historical perspective. Perhaps it will aid him in winning another batting title and help in reaching 3,000 hits. Those are personal numbers and don't mean much in terms of winning games but I still enjoy seeing those individual victories.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 11-11-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 333 Times in 128 Posts
    Interesting about Saltalamacchia - I think McCann also is going free agent. I was initially surprised that they made the formal decision so soon, but it does help them try to work on the roster without Mauer being a wildcard. Plus it will be one less media issue hanging over the club.

I was reading the Yahoo comments on the Mauer story. I might be biased, but it makes you appreciate the comments on this board all the more. The Yahoo comments are not exactly not exactly well thought out (and tend to be a little more half glass empty...).

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    McCann would be great. Catcher and DH and 1B covered by Pinto, McCann, and Mauer, with Willingham at DH also (until he's gone).
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow--it's the right move, I think, even if (as Zephrin points out above) it hurts a little emotionally.

But mostly, I'm surprised they're announcing it now. I guess it makes sense if they're looking at adding a veteran catcher this offseason, but I didn't think we'd hear anything definitive until Spring Training.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,833 Times in 1,073 Posts
    I wasn't a huge fan of moving him, but whatever; not my decission. I'm glad it's done now so they can move forward. McCann would be great; better than Saltalamacchia, imo.

AJ, anyone? (kidding)
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 11-11-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Just a heard a quick comment on 1500 that I believe said Mauer won't even be an emergency catcher.

Liked 1,190 Times in 694 Posts
    I'm glad this decision was made. And have to believe that not only a concern for Joe Mauer's future but also a cost/benefit analysis played into this move. While he was uniquely valuable behind the plate, that value was only there if he stayed on the field.

After the Morneau saga, I would expect the Twins to be somewhat cautious with their most valuable (and most expensive) player asset. First base was open -- and while it may have been somewhat easier to fill, keeping Joe Mauer on the field while acquiring a catcher with, perhaps, better defensive skills, makes sense. (Now let's just hope they can also sign someone who can hit because I, too, hope that they don't go with the current roster at this position).

Liked 131 Times in 84 Posts
    McCann is probably a pipe dream. Salty might be too. A.J. would actually not be all that bad. You could sign him for a shorter contract, allowing Pinto to learn some things. I'd probably have to stop booing him at games then (for the record, he is the only player that I actively boo at games). I doubt he would sign here though.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some thoughts on this...I wonder if Mauer and Morneau talked about this before joe said he would do this as this almost guarantees Morneau wont be back. And I wonder if that means AJ might come back and if that happens does Doumit get released

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    I think if Mauer was still single, he would of stayed catching. But with a wife and little one's his health is more important. I know he'd like his buddy Morneau back. He probably made sure the Twins weren't planning on that before deciding the move. He'll be very good at first base.

It was likely that the next competitive lineup for the Twins was going to have Mauer at 1B and/or DH. I expect the team will consider a veteran option (AJ?) to allow Pinto to mature into the position. AJ strikes me as a player who could be a positive addition to a clubhouse full of very talented, but not MLB savvy players.

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 333 Times in 128 Posts
    In Mauer's teleconference, he said he did talk to Morneau prior to making the decision. Sounds like he was still having symptoms well into October. I am guessing he has had a number of undiagnosed concussions. The reason he went in for a test this time was he was dizzy enough he was missing ground balls in fielding practice. It would not shock me if he has ignored lesser concussion symptoms in the past.

I read a comment about someone complaining that his .324 average would be average for a first baseman. I am thinking half of the first basement were not batting above .324 last year.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast