Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when is Valencias time up?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

when is Valencias time up?

Ok I will say I have been valencias biggest "hater" for a lack of a better word. But seriously it feels like he gets a huge rope. A couple more bad plays in Saturdays game, a very poor at bat, yet you don't hear much about him in the threads. I really thought by the end of the year Hughes would have taken his spot, obviously that isn't happening, so the next option at this point is burroughs? I am telling you now ( I do hope I eat these words) valencia is not going to match his 2010 productivity.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's definitely struggling right not. Poor plate appearances, too many strikeouts, not enough walks, strictly a pull hitter. I think we've seen some improvement defensively since the beginning of the season. Frankly, Burroughs is not better, but he might warrant a little playing time. There's no one in Rochester to consider. Or New Britain, for that matter.

In his three years in the organization, I haven't seen him struggle like this though. I don't expect 2010 numbers, but I do hope for much, much more than we saw in 2011 also.

Liked 2,277 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    He's definitely struggling right not. Poor plate appearances, too many strikeouts, not enough walks, strictly a pull hitter. I think we've seen some improvement defensively since the beginning of the season. Frankly, Burroughs is not better, but he might warrant a little playing time. There's no one in Rochester to consider. Or New Britain, for that matter.

In his three years in the organization, I haven't seen him struggle like this though. I don't expect 2010 numbers, but I do hope for much, much more than we saw in 2011 also.
    I don't see any defensive improvement. Not saying he hasn't... Just saying I haven't seen it at all. The guy is always capable of making a play and he does from time to time. I thought he was a fine defensive player his rookie year. Last year he played like his feet were in mud and this season I've seen the same.

I don't know if Burroughs is a cut and dried better defensive player. I've seen him start two games and seen him make 3 tough defensive plays diving to his left. Velencia has played every other game and I have not seen him leave his feet. I've seen Velencia not move his feet and unnecessarily reach for balls and choke this way frequently enough to come to my own personal conclusion that he isn't getting it.

I'm sure he doesn't want to lose his job but he will... the very second that better option comes along. Then Velencia will be signing a minor league contract with someone somewhere and scrap to stay in the majors.

If you want to save Velencia. You save him by benching him. Send the message loud and clear to him right now. This complaining to him and honest assessments publicly from time to time and then sticking him in the lineup everyday regardless is not working.

There is something to be said about letting a player play through his struggles. There is also something to be said about letting a player cement his bad habits by letting him continue to play.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    And do what? They have no options, the minors are barren of guys ready to come up the last few years, and this year is no exception. Just cutting him does nothing, and they won't sign free agents that are great, so what is the option? Awful trades and bad position player drafting has set this team back, and there's no fixing it unless you are going to change the philosophy of this team and sign legit FAs, or trade prospects for legit MLB players. Not quickly.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 2,277 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    And do what? They have no options, the minors are barren of guys ready to come up the last few years, and this year is no exception. Just cutting him does nothing, and they won't sign free agents that are great, so what is the option? Awful trades and bad position player drafting has set this team back, and there's no fixing it unless you are going to change the philosophy of this team and sign legit FAs, or trade prospects for legit MLB players. Not quickly.
    Its tricky... No matter what Velencia is... He is a potential value. The hope is that he can pull it together long enough to increase his value. Either as a Minnesota Twins or a trade chip down the line. Either way it's value. If you cut him... You throw that value away.... If you bench him... You throw that value away. He has to improve and it starts between his ears.

Its tricky because let's face it... We are talking about potential value. His only value right now is potential value. His day to day value is worthless right now because he is in a deep slump. You hope he gets better because he is young and has potential. If the Twins cut him... Someone picks him up because of his potential. If someone trades for him it is because of his contract and potential. No organization would want the Velencia that is playing right now.

Current production of Velencia could be matched by Burroughs, Plouffe or the departed Hughes. I assume Dozier wont be called up until the arb clock thing works out in the Twins favor. I don't know if he'd slot into 3B or if he bounces Casilla when he is called up.

Tough situation. I'd put him on the bench for a week and say you are sitting because you need help focusing of your job and ultimately your career. Hopefully he starts to get it and voila... a player that fulfills his value and is worth trotting out there daily.

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I seriously think Valencia focuses more on the girls yelling his name in the stands than he does on the game itself. He needs a rude wake up call some time very soon!
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What can you do with Valencia right now? Send to the minors and bringing up who? Hollimon? Or give the job to Burroughs who sucks even more? Plouffe? He has been worse than Valencia also. Just not too many options.

Just hope that he can shake the cobwebs and be average or so for a couple seasons until Sano is ready... that's about it.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gardy needs a scapegoat (someone to throw under the bus). Valencia is his scapegoat (whipping boy?). With a tough lefty tomorrow (Lester) let him play one more game then bench him against Beckett & Bucholz. With the off day that gives him three days with his nose in the corner to think about what he's done.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like that plan, mnfireman. Sounds like a good idea to try to get him going.

Let's try putting Parmalee at third.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 30whales View Post
    Let's try putting Parmalee at third.
    that would work. Remember Brian Buscher?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parmelee throws lefthanded.

Valencia spends more time blocking people on Twitter than working on his game.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,265 Times in 677 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsGuy55422 View Post
    I seriously think Valencia focuses more on the girls yelling his name in the stands than he does on the game itself. He needs a rude wake up call some time very soon!
    I can see that being pretty distracting, I'm thinking a lot of wish we had those kind of problems.

Not to hurt his chances with the ladies or anything, but I think he needs to spend some extended time on the bench to let him know he's just not getting it......the playing baseball part I mean, he's probably getting other things.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's too bad, because Valencia has talent. His self obsession and arrogance are going to cost him mucho $$$ and a MLB career. He is the Anti-Jamie Carroll.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parmalee at 3rd was a joke, accentuating the barrenness of any other options.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts
    Realistically, what should be expected from Valencia at this point? Looking at Baseball Reference, there are some interesting comparable players through their age 26 season (so, through 2011 for Valencia, not including what he's done this season).

Of course his career could be totally different from any of these guys, but it seems like his ceiling is probably a guy like Aaron Boone, but more likely he'll be like a less powerful Leo Gomez or a more powerful Tom Brookens.

If he has the potential to play as well as Boone (a little better than replacement level), do you keep him?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Two factors on why the Twins should be patient with Danny V--1) There's really no replacement in the minors. 2) He's cheap and under team control for a long time. Yes, he had a tough weekend in St. Petersburg, but so did a number of others.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    [QUOTE=TwinsGuy55422;11734]I seriously think Valencia focuses more on the girls yelling his name in the stands than he does on the game itself...QUOTE]

I agree. I think more to the point you could say immaturity. I know that was my problem when I was a kid. And shared by a lot of other guys I ran with. For me it took marriage and a kid on the way to get me to focus on my career. I don't know what it'll take for Danny. It's obvious Gardy is frustrated and searching for an answer.

Wasn't it Shaw who said "Youth is wasted on the young."?

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Two factors on why the Twins should be patient with Danny V--1) There's really no replacement in the minors. 2) He's cheap and under team control for a long time. Yes, he had a tough weekend in St. Petersburg, but so did a number of others.
    1. The potential replacement pool is not limited to the Twins current minor leaguers. 2. Cost is a factor, but if its the only factor then why not just have a roster of 25 rookies and a payroll of $12m? Winning is the goal, not saving.g money.
    3. Its been more like a tough year plus, not just a rough weekend in Tampa.

I'm not sure what to do with Valencia. But I sure wouldn't let cost or the lack of an obvious replacement in Rochester make the decision for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast