Thread: Missing Ingredient for 2014 Twins

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries

Missing Ingredient for 2014 Twins

This post may be nitpicking a little but an area of concern that hasn't been talked about much is finding a backup IF that can hit a little and play good defense at SS and 3B. Both Plouffe and Sano have below average gloves comming into next season so it would be nice to have a solid late game defensive replacement for them. Also with Florimon having a below average at bat it would be nice to have a solid back up to sub for a bit while Florimon figures things out with the bat. I would like to see us sign Punto for that purpose as he would be great if kept under 200 AB for the season. I do not believe Escobar has the bat for this assignment.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 590 Times in 318 Posts
    You had me.......until the Punto part.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would roll with Deibinson Romero and Eduardo Escobar as backup infielders.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    There is so much I cannot believe is serious here.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    This post may be nitpicking a little but an area of concern that hasn't been talked about much is finding a backup IF that can hit a little and play good defense at SS and 3B. Both Plouffe and Sano have below average gloves comming into next season so it would be nice to have a solid late game defensive replacement for them. Also with Florimon having a below average at bat it would be nice to have a solid back up to sub for a bit while Florimon figures things out with the bat. I would like to see us sign Punto for that purpose as he would be great if kept under 200 AB for the season. I do not believe Escobar has the bat for this assignment.
    I like Sano and Florimon side by side, with Escobar backing up 3B, SS, and 2B. Both Florimon and Escobar can still pick it up a notch as hitters with more major league PA's. We may get our SS of the future as early as the 2014 draft and I see Polanco as our future utility infielder, but we can contend with what we have.

Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I get that we have escobar/ Bernier/ Australian IF whose name escapes me. I think it would be something to consider have someone who can play sold defense at 3b in the later innings or occasionally spelling whoever is starting. Also since Florimon has a weak bat it might be a good idea to have someone who could step in should he be hitting .190 at the allstar break. I said Punto being half serious as he would work for what I am suggesting but it would make sense to have someone that could handle that. while I think Escobar can handle most of the defense I do not think he could handle the bat for a stretch. There really isn't anyone able to successful be able to step into SS for an extended period if need be. What happens if Florimon gets hurt? I am not suggesting a starter. Just someone that can hit around .250/.330/.370 off the bench and field at a better than league average rate.

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Half the guys on our team can't do that. If we have a bench guy that can and play SS he would immediately.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 63 Posts
    I disagree with the initial post, Escobar does have the bat and glove to be a nice utility IF. And remember, Dozier is probably 50-50 to end up back at SS anyway, with Flori back in AAA.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Fortunately for posters Punto has better options than the Twins--and he will choose one of them.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins Daily posters need a nemesis. Butera is gone, so they need some light-hitting false-hustle guy like Punto (I know, I know, he has some skills) to oppose. This is just like Democrats needing the Tea Party.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Um, what is the point of brining in a old utility INF on a team likely to win less than 80 games? They should be rolling the dice on guys that might be good in 2-5 years. Go try the AAA/AAAA guys that are blocked. Go try a guy that was once thought of as maybe going to be good. Not sure why, unless you are doing a lot of other things to make them competitive, you want to bring in an old utility INF. It doesn't fit with the rest of what they need to do.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    I think the utility infielder can wait until the serious issues get sorted out. Besides, should we really be concerned if a utility infielder can hit if the starting SS can't? Or the 3B or 1B? Or any of the outfielders or the DH?

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Um, what is the point of brining in a old utility INF on a team likely to win less than 80 games? They should be rolling the dice on guys that might be good in 2-5 years. Go try the AAA/AAAA guys that are blocked. Go try a guy that was once thought of as maybe going to be good. Not sure why, unless you are doing a lot of other things to make them competitive, you want to bring in an old utility INF. It doesn't fit with the rest of what they need to do.
    I agree with you, especially with Escobar able to play quite a few positions, but Ryan does not.

Proof?

2 words: Jamey Carroll...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I agree with you, especially with Escobar able to play quite a few positions, but Ryan does not.

Proof?

2 words: Jamey Carroll...
    I don't understand what you mean. They gave Carroll away.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He signed Carroll in 2012. Totally unnecessary .

Jason Bartlett too
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
    I have the perfect answer

Mark

DeRosa

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Where's the like button when you need it!

Mark DeRosa is always the answer. Too bad there's only one of him. Can we clone him and have him play all 9 positions?
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Liked 1,034 Times in 469 Posts
    If we do get someone who can "hit around .250/.330/.370...and field at a better than league average rate" I suggest Florimon can fill the missing ingredient hole.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man