Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Top 50 Prospects: Summary

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    See some of the prospects you have written about in the Kernels Season Game Highlights
    [Polanco, Kepler, Walker, Goodrum, Harrison, Lee, Berrios, Melotakis, DJ HIcks, JD Williams, Duffy, Murphy, etc. ]

KernelsHighlightsABW

and

KernelsPartyattheParkTeam/GameHIghlights

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok, I know nothing, but I will play, too:

1-Buxton
    2-Sano
    3-Meyer
    (Gibson)
    4-Stewart
    ('14 pick Kolek/Trea Turner/Gatewood)
    (Arcia)
    5-Rosario
    (Hicks)
    6-Gonsalves
    7-Kepler
    8-Berrios
    9-Walker
    10-Thorpe
    11-Polanco
    12-Pinto
    13-Santana
    14-Jorge
    15-Baxendale
    16-Eades
    17-Rosario
    18-JD Williams
    19-Wimmers
    20-Minier

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Alex Meyer looked pretty good tonight. 5 innings, 63 pitches, no hits, 6Ks and one BB. Fastball 94-98 and worked mostly around 96-97. Very impressive.

Note: Meyer actually faced three more batters. Went 5 2/3, gave up a hit, and struck out one more. Hit 97 on his 76th and final pitch. Longest outing of the fall league for any pitcher.
    THANK U CMB0252 !

WOW this has me wet with excitement :-)
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Here is my list, for what it's worth. The A+ to D scale after each name is NOT a standard grade scale. It is a readiness for the Major Leagues scale, in my opinion. A+ indicates someone who is already on the Major League team – and is serviceable. a scale of A means the prospect is ready for the Twins. The lower the scale, to D, means the more time will have to be spent in the minor leagues. Roughly each letter reflects an expected one year in the minors.

1-Buxton – A-
    2-Sano – B+
    3-Meyer – A-
    4-Stewart – C+
    5-Rosario – A-
    6-Gonsalves – D
    7-Kepler – D
    8-Berrios - C-
    9-Walker – C
    10-Thorpe – D
    11-Polanco - C+
    12-Pinto - A+
    13-Santana – A-
    14-May – C
    15-Jorge – C
    16-Baxendale – C-
    17-JD Williams – C-
    18-Romero – C-
    19-Harrison – C
    20-Goodrum – C-
    20-Vargas - D

I like some context in such lists. Top 50 lists are great, but I also like to think about how close they are to helping the ML team.

Oh, by the way, Kyle Gibson and Aaron Hicks would be ranked about 8th and 10th, with a rating of A- (they each need at least a half year in AAA). Arcia is already on the team. I don't anticipate that changing anytime soon.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Buxton, but he's not ML ready... yet.

I agree... I rated him A-, meaning he needs a little time – less than a year – in the minors.
    Last edited by lee_the_twins_fan; 11-10-2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: error

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I like Buxton, but he's not ML ready... yet.
    Maybe. Its easy to say "not ready" but harder to say why. It would be interesting to know why you think that.
    His speed, approach at the plate, defense, power & batting eye suggest that he is pretty darn close.

We will know in 7 - 8 months after extended AA action.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Buxton played in essentially an AA all-star league just now and was OK. He needs months at AA so the A- grade is justified.

Ibarra could push himself up into the top 50 (came close for me) but there are injury cases like Wimmers, Roberts, and Bard who stick around on such lists. Also no LOOGY is really ever going to come close to a top prospect even if he is more likely to be contributing to the Twins.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I don't understand not giving Stewart credit for his current tools regardless of the competition he has played. He has a perfect pitchers frame and is insanely athletic. His fastball consistently sits in the 92-94 and can hit 97 with good downward plane. Has an already plus slider with two more pitches that look to be big league average. Yeah, he doesn't have polish, but how many pitchers regardless of level have two already plus pitches and two that are average? Not very many.
    I seem to remember reading a write up on him that said he had 4 plus pitches, or perhaps it was 4 potential plus pitches... Stewart will likely be a top of the rotation asset if he makes it there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Maybe. Its easy to say "not ready" but harder to say why. It would be interesting to know why you think that.
    His speed, approach at the plate, defense, power & batting eye suggest that he is pretty darn close.

We will know in 7 - 8 months after extended AA action.
    He didn't exactly dominate the AFL, which is AA level. He's a great prospect, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he doesn't spend any time in MN this year.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    It's a much better group of prospects than 5 years ago. I would rank Kepler a little lower & bump up Pinto & May a few spots but that's just personal preference.

On the bottom end I would eliminate Ortiz & a couple of others & add Malinowski, Ibarra & Stirewalt. I'm also a little surprised Hudson Boyd fell completely off the list so fast. I know his stats weren't very good but I thought his stuff was still ok. He had a decent 2nd half of the season & he's still pretty young so I have hope for him yet

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I seem to remember reading a write up on him that said he had 4 plus pitches, or perhaps it was 4 potential plus pitches... Stewart will likely be a top of the rotation asset if he makes it there.
    Stewart currently has two plus pitches and two average pitches. With his age there is plenty of time for the two other pitches to progress.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123