Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Top 50 Prospects: Summary

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel that even though Jorge Palonco and and Max Kepler are good prospects they are ranked too high. I felt the Adam Walker and Josmil Pinto should have been ranked higher mayb flip flopped with polonco and Kepler. But that is admittedly bein picky

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 745 Times in 461 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    The Twins are considered better offensively than from the mound in current mainstream rankings, yet you ranked so many pitchers (almost half) in the top 50.

Two items of discussions: Do batter move up in the system faster than pitchers.
    I'll take a stab at this. In the prospect world there's a saying TNSTAAPP (There's no such thing as a pitching prospect). Pitchers get hurt and flame out much easier as the move up... at least that's my guess. They also start out with promise and transition to a reliever. One really good example of that in recent Twins history is Hudson Boyd. He was on a few top 10 lists and pretty much universally in the top 20 when he was drafted. Right now we hope he can become a decent back of the pen option.

Second, pitchers with upside are going to get ranked higher. It's the most important position in the game and having more good pitching than you have pitchers is the easiest way to fill gaps with high ceiling talent at other positions. Pitchers are like gold.

In the Twins case it's compounded by the fact that they have a lot of high ceiling guys way low in the minors. If guys like Stewart, Gonsalves, and Thrope all continue on at Cedar Rapids where they left off in rookie ball, they will all likely be in the top 100 by the end of the year. Of course history says that only one of them will likely make it big. Here's to hoping history is wrong and we have a trio of top of the rotation starters in 4 years.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    This guy does not belong in here because of age/performance/level/lack of tools combination. I suspect if he were from NJ instead of MN, he would not be in the list:

Many better choices out there; I'd take Dan Rohlfing who at the same age, did better in New Britain and played up to AAA last season...

And what an unfortunate trade if you see what Sanudo did in the Houston system...
    Agree to disagree. I really like Dan, great guy, and he's got some value as an athletic catcher and capable corner OF, great team guy, etc.

Kvasnicka has been hurt a lot, but he's consistently shown power. At 45 or so, I'll take a plus-tool like that.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vzltwins View Post
    Where is Ibarra?
    He was strongly considered for a spot in the 40-50 range, but didn't quite make it. As I've done more research and more scouting reports and such, he should be in that range.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Let's get some people's Top 20s here in the Comments... I'm curious what others would do.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_the_twins_fan View Post
    I don't know – but the Twins added him to the 40-man roster. Interesting move for someone who is not on Seth's 50-man prospect list. But then Ibarra basically came in from nowhere.
    I was glad that Ibarra was added to the 40 man roster. I called it a month ago. He's got great stuff, left-handed, some strikeout stuff. But, I generally have relievers ranked lower because, at best, they pitch like 50-60 innings a year (a LOOGY could throw less than 40-50 innings). A #3 or #4 starter will throw 160-180 innings. But don't get me wrong, I think that he will pitch for the Twins, and I think he can be a valuable piece to the Twins bullpen. I've seen him pitch. He can be very good.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Walker - he has too many strike outs and not enough walks. From what I have heard/read looked over matched against low A breaking balls. A player who went to college who still struggles with SO, tells me he is guy who struggles to change his approach. I hope I am wrong as he does appear to hit straight fastballs a long way.
    Walker struck out at a 20% rate, which is great for a guy who led the league in HRs and RBIs. How many Top Prospects (nationally) can say they had a K rate of 20% or lower and led the league in HRs and RBI? I agree that he needs to take more walks (no arguement). That said however: Despite his low walk rate - He was on base enough to rank second in the entire league in runs scored. That means he scored more than Polanco, Harirson, & Goodrum - all of whom had higher OBP. That's not knocking those 3 (all great players) , but just signifying that your wants for Walker are based on hear say - not results from the here and now. Isn't the concern for a higher OBP to score more runs as a team. He seems to be doing his share of scoring & driving in runs, while also dropping his K rate over 10% in 1 season. I find more room for optimism than doubt if you ask me. Just saying ..

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    20. Baxendale
    19. Z. Jones
    18. T. Rodgers
    17. Goodrum
    16. Harrison
    15. Kepler
    14. May
    13. Vargas
    12. Santana
    11. Walker
    10. Polanco
    09. Berrios
    08. Gonsalves
    07. Pinto
    06. Thorpe
    05. Stewart
    04. Rosario
    03. Meyer
    02. Sano
    01. Buxton

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1) Buxton
    2) Sano
    3) Meyer
    4) Rosario
    5) Stewart
    6) Pinto
    7) Walker
    8) Polanco
    9) Berrios
    10) Thorpe
    11) May
    12) Santana
    13) Kepler
    14) Harrison
    15) Brett Lee (sleeper)
    16) Jorge
    17) Gonsalves
    18) Rogers
    19) Vargas
    20) Melotakis

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do like Melotakis up higher. Nice group. Is there any particular reason you have Lee at 15? I don't know a great deal about him. Are you thinking he makes it as a starter or that he will be a closer soon?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Let's get some people's Top 20s here in the Comments... I'm curious what others would do.
    Something like this, and with a surprise name in the bottom:

1. Sano
    2. Buxton
    3. Meyer
    4. Rosario
    5. Steward
    6. May
    7. Berrios
    8. F. Jose
    9. Kepler
    10. Gonsalves
    11. Eaves
    12. Walker
    13. Harrison
    14. Minier
    15. Baxendale
    16. Vargas
    17. Polanco
    18. Thorpe
    19. Z. Jones
    20. Brian Gilbert (RHP)

Pinto and Tonkin graduated. Almost included 17 yo Venezuelan Alexis Tapia, who is probably the best of the Twins' DSL pitchers and might make the jump to the US this spring training.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 11-09-2013 at 10:01 AM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am not going to submit a ranking. Largely I don't know enough, plus I don't think exact rankings matter much since so much of the rankings are based on projection and certain personal biases. That doesn't mean I don't find them interesting and I do have a few observations based on Seth's rankings.

Although many people consider starting pitching a weakness in the Twins system, I am not so sure that is true. Among the top 20 prospects(according to Seth) are 9 starting pitchers. There are 8 more pitchers in the next ten. A lot of these guys, if they make the majors at all, will end up in relief. Still, if we agree that position players are a strength of the system, it is interesting that so many pitchers are that high. It is even more interesting that 2 guys ranked very high just a couple of years ago(Wimmers and Salcedo) are now ranked 40 and below. Although both have had serious injuries, they are only 24 and 22 respectively, and there is reason to believe that both could regain their former effectiveness. That both are so low, speaks to the perceived strength of the organization's pitching.

People also suggest that though some of the pitching could be very good, it also very young and very far away from the majors. I believe that is partly true. Very good pitchers can and usually do, move up a system and to the majors quicker than comparable position players. Or at least that is often true. Baker, Slowey, and Henricks all moved to the majors quickly, even though I would hesitate to call any of them very good. If some of these young pitchers have the kind of stuff that many suggest they do, they could move very quickly. There are also some guys without the dominant stuff, who were pitching at A Ball this year, who could move quickly because they know how to pitch and their secondary pitches are pretty refined.

One of the interesting things about lists like this, is that it all about upside. There are guys not on this list or near the bottom of this list, who will make the majors and perhaps perform significant roles for their teams. Guys in the Twins system like that could include Beresford, Ibarra, Turner, Kvasnicka and few more pitchers who likely will end up in relief.

I do like the position players in the top half of this list. I am rather encouraged that a number of them are middle infielders, another area that is often considered a weakness in the Twins system.

Finally, thanks again Seth, for your list. I appreciate your work.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    Although many people consider starting pitching a weakness in the Twins system, I am not so sure that is true. Among the top 20 prospects(according to Seth) are 9 starting pitchers. There are 8 more pitchers in the next ten. A lot of these guys, if they make the majors at all, will end up in relief. Still, if we agree that position players are a strength of the system, it is interesting that so many pitchers are that high..
    I think that it is all relative. Only Meyer (really) has top of the rotation potential. Steward possibly, but he has to pitch a few innings more and not against kids who just grabbed wooden bats for their first time in their lives, to really cement that potential. Other than that we are talking about back of the rotation starters, and the 2011-3 Twins are prime examples of what happens when you fill a team with back of the rotation starters.

The other reason that so many pitchers are so high, is that other than in the top 5 or so, there are not really any exceptional position player prospects. Even the top of the second tier of position prospects are close to average minor leaguers (like C/C+ prospects) at this point.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 745 Times in 461 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    To lazy to repost.

http://twinsdaily.com/twins-minor-le...ect-lists.html

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    If I was going to make an official list it might be different but this is from off the top of my head:

1) Buxton
    2) Sano
    3) Stewart
    4) Meyer
    5) Rosario
    6) Berrios
    7) Kepler
    8) Thorpe
    9) Pinto
    10) May
    11) Polanco
    12) Harrison
    13) Gonsalves
    14) Eades
    15) Walker
    16) Santana
    17) Jorge
    18) Romero
    19) Goodrum
    20) Minier

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    I think that it is all relative. Only Meyer (really) has top of the rotation potential. Steward possibly, but he has to pitch a few innings more and not against kids who just grabbed wooden bats for their first time in their lives, to really cement that potential. Other than that we are talking about back of the rotation starters, and the 2011-3 Twins are prime examples of what happens when you fill a team with back of the rotation starters.

The other reason that so many pitchers are so high, is that other than in the top 5 or so, there are not really any exceptional position player prospects. Even the top of the second tier of position prospects are close to average minor leaguers (like C/C+ prospects) at this point.
    I don't understand not giving Stewart credit for his current tools regardless of the competition he has played. He has a perfect pitchers frame and is insanely athletic. His fastball consistently sits in the 92-94 and can hit 97 with good downward plane. Has an already plus slider with two more pitches that look to be big league average. Yeah, he doesn't have polish, but how many pitchers regardless of level have two already plus pitches and two that are average? Not very many.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fair enough, but 2008-2010 are examples of what you can do without any top of the rotation starters. If all of your starters are pretty good, you can end up with a 95 win season like 2010. Of course the rest of team has to be better than pretty good and your defense and bullpen better be darn good as well.

I just think that having a bunch of c/c+ pitching prospects is a good thing. Some could jump up and be better than that and if they do, they will move fast.

The 2013 Twins starting pitchers, however, ranked dead-last among MLB teams; that means they don't have many C/C+ starting pitchers on staff – they're mostly even lower.

We need at least three FA starters acquired this winter, and better ones than Correa and Pelfrey, if the Twins are to make a move in 2014.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    1) Buxton 2) Sano 3) Meyer 4) Stewart 5) Rosario 6)Berrios 7)POlanco 8)Pinto 9)Kepler 10)Thorpe 11)May 12)Gonsalves 13)Walker 14)Harrison 15)Danny Santana 16)Vargas 17)Tonkin 18)Eades 19)Niko 20)Felix Jorge

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    I still can't get my brain around Romero at 18...

My prediction:
    Walker falls to the mid 20's next year
    Harrison does not make the list next year
    Santana is off th list next year because he plays for the Twins
    Polanco becomes the teams number 1 prospect next year - assuming Buxton and Sano lose prospect status.
    I predict that none of those things happen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast