Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Thoughts on the Twins? One baseball agent's perspective on Minnesota's front office

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I enjoyed this article, and while there's a "puff piece" aspect to it, there's probably some genuine respect there too. When you make statements like "There's no GM I respect more than Terry Ryan" you are going above and beyond in lavishing your praise. If the respect wasn't genuine, he would say "I respect Terry Ryan", especially since he basically says he has more respect for Ryan than all of his counterparts.

I'd echo what someone else said, but if Boras wrote the same piece, I really am curious what he'd say...
    Agreed. No agent is going to trash any team if they are trying to get them to sign clients, but this one seemed pretty sincere. Every indication is that the Twins front office is pretty well respected. I may not agree with everything Ryan and company do but I still recognize them as honest and amicable business individuals.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice article Parker. I enjoyed the read. I would be happy if the Twins signed any of the three pitchers since they would all be an upgrade. I'd prefer Nolasco at $52M/4yrs, maybe a team option for 5. Maybe Ryan could agree to an incentive-laden one year contract for Johnson and turn it into something similar to what we did with Pavano.

Very good reporting.

As an aside, I've got to say this explains the Ryan Doumit 2 year extension mystery.. Now I'm a Doumit guy for sure, he has a place in the majors some where, but I just couldn't understand what the Twins were going to do with him. So reading this article, I'm seeing a degree of "scratch my back" going on in this instance, money poorly spent. But nice work shedding light on a smaller agency.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    I really hope the Twins change their tune on Johnson. I don't think $10 million is too much for him, I think it's low in fact unless there are medical concerns that weren't addressed with his recent surgery.

On a one year deal, he really is the only player the Twins could reasonably get who has the potential to be A) evaluated for future front of the rotation candidacy, or B) flipped for a good haul come the trade deadline. If he returns to form there's no reason to think he can't get a similar return to what Garza and Greinke got the past two deadlines.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 114 Times in 50 Posts
    Obviously the Twins are well-respected in inner circles, but this makes me wonder what Sosnick would say about any other team if you asked him about them. I bet he has glowing reports about other teams as well, and those he doesn't care for he probably wouldn't trash down anyway.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Very cool to get that interview. I enjoyed it. I take some of it with a grain of salt, but that does not mean it is intentionally misleading. It just means you might choose to rub off some the peaks and valleys of the comments. Or, you might just take it at face value. I don't think this is just PR, or negotiations.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    If you've read anything Parker has written in the past, I cannot imagine you'd insult him by accusing him of writing a PR puff-piece.

The Twins organization is almost universally well-respected. Sosnick happens to be a vociferous yet earnest (I believe) admirer. Hageman did a superlative job of detailing those aspects of Sosnick's relationship that inspire (and motivate) his glowing descriptions.

And, if trusting relationships are old school, and it means the Twins are operating uniquely when it comes to loyalty and honesty, that's encouraging.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 177 Times in 105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    if the twins sign any player, I don't understand why we are so concerned about who else bid what. The twins got the guy they wanted. WWhether it was dollars or how much the intangibles played into it, who cares?as was stated in the story, each player's reasoning is different. For some it might be just money and years.for others, trust and other intangibles, maybe geography is what matters.
    Well, if one is concerned that the Twins are overly conservative with money, the fact that they've been outbid even on the players they got doesn't help.

If these reports are to be believed, TR has basically never outbid anyone, anywhere. It worked in building a winner before, but it took awhile.
    Last edited by spycake; 11-08-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    And I hope I didn't come across as overly critical of Parker's work here -- this is an interesting read, and certainly the kind of content that makes Twins Daily special.

I have no doubt that the Twins brass is respected -- they've basically been at the helm of the franchise for 20+ years. You don't get to that point without some success and some respect from your peers.

I wonder where the Twins front office staff ranks, in terms of tenure with the same organization. If you count from his original hire date, TR is the longest tenured GM, and I would imagine a few of his staff would hold similar distinctions among their peers.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    If you've read anything Parker has written in the past, I cannot imagine you'd insult him by accusing him of writing a PR puff-piece.

The Twins organization is almost universally well-respected. Sosnick happens to be a vociferous yet earnest (I believe) admirer. Hageman did a superlative job of detailing those aspects of Sosnick's relationship that inspire (and motivate) his glowing descriptions.

And, if trusting relationships are old school, and it means the Twins are operating uniquely when it comes to loyalty and honesty, that's encouraging.
    I think the idea is that the agent here is puffing up, not that Parker was. I have no doubts that the Twins organization is well respected and for good reason, but I'm not sure how much that really tells us. We all know the Twins are straight shooters and I'm sure that's appreciated, but it has little to do with what the organization does well or what it could improve upon.

Afterall, it's hard to step on toes if you're not on the dance floor.

Reading through the comments, I also think we are at risk of overstating the Loyalty factor of this organization. Some of us will remember a big first baseman named Justin Morneau who played his whole career here, all-star, hugely popular, and wanted to retire in a Twins uniform. GM waived and traded him for a minor league outfielder as I recall.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While obviously an agent rarely going to to rip a organization you have to read between the lines a little. It's obvious this agent is someone who is looking out for what his client wants more than purely what suits the bottom line for their firm or putting their client in less than suitable places opurely to eek out every last dollar.

The Twins have a good organization and I very much agree with their philosophy as a whole. However I feel they stick to that to strictly almost to a fault. You still need to take some calculated gambles from time to time. For all the crap Bill Smith got and most deservedly so, he atleast had the gumption to go out on a limb. The Young Garza swap for example. Gutsy move that needed to be made to address the lineup.

It can be reckless to give out large FA contracts but you have to augment the weak parts of your team from time to time. Even if that means over paying, you keep the years down. You dont want to put yourself in a position where you dont have the payroll available to keep the guys you want to resign.

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought it an interesting piece. This is verified by all the natural follow up questions that people are raising. It might be interesting to hear Sosnick's take on some of the:

1) how doe money compar e to other factors. Do guys generall value that last half million dollars? Or million?
    2) which front offices have a less than stellar reputation regarding being honorable?
    3) how do you differentiate your clients from similar players? Nolasco from Arroyo or Johnson from Halladay, for instance?
    4) where do the Twins rank developmentally compared to other teams? How about financially? What teams are they similar too?
    5) how important is trust in a front office when you're trying to work out a deal? How about trust in an agent?
    6) how are offers presented/accepted? By now, do you know which handful of teams your client will likely end up on?

if anyone has any of their own, throw them in the comments. We'll try yo do more of these.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Reading through the comments, I also think we are at risk of overstating the Loyalty factor of this organization. Some of us will remember a big first baseman named Justin Morneau who played his whole career here, all-star, hugely popular, and wanted to retire in a Twins uniform. GM waived and traded him for a minor league outfielder as I recall.
    After they went to him and asked him what he wanted to do, stick around or be traded to a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    After they went to him and asked him what he wanted to do, stick around or be traded to a contender.
    The big tell will be who Morneau signs with for '14. (No doubt it won't be for much) But I will bet you a soda it's not the Twins.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    The big tell will be who Morneau signs with for '14. (No doubt it won't be for much) But I will bet you a soda it's not the Twins.
    I hope they don't sign him. I love the guy and hope he turns it around next season but I don't think it's worth the Twins pursuing him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    6) how are offers presented/accepted? By now, do you know which handful of teams your client will likely end up on?
    In this vein, I think detailing the process would be fascinating. Is free agent bidding somewhat open among teams, or is it more "blind"? How often are teams offered a chance to top an offer? Do teams share/confirm info, or can they only really get it from the player/agent? (For example, how did TR know that Correia "left money on the table"? Did Correia or his agent tell him that, or did TR get that from another GM?)

Just stepping through a "typical" signing would be really interesting. I suspect many fans think of the bidding as more "open" than it actually is, probably because it is rather open in other sports, with restricted/unrestricted free agents, matching offers, salary caps, etc. But I really don't know.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    In this vein, I think detailing the process would be fascinating. Is free agent bidding somewhat open among teams, or is it more "blind"? How often are teams offered a chance to top an offer? Do teams share/confirm info, or can they only really get it from the player/agent? (For example, how did TR know that Correia "left money on the table"? Did Correia or his agent tell him that, or did TR get that from another GM?)

Just stepping through a "typical" signing would be really interesting. I suspect many fans think of the bidding as more "open" than it actually is, probably because it is rather open in other sports, with restricted/unrestricted free agents, matching offers, salary caps, etc. But I really don't know.
    If teams share information to keep costs down it is collusion. There is absolutely no other benefit to a team to otherwise share information.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I hope they don't sign him. I love the guy and hope he turns it around next season but I don't think it's worth the Twins pursuing him.
    I agree. I love the guy too. The Morneau-Presley trade made sense in baseball terms but not so sure as a business decision (it falls on its face as a "honorable" or "right thing to do" or Twins Way decision). People still came to the park to cheer Mauer & Morneau. The losing has stained the good young players we do have. So we are now a Mauer injury away from having a lineup of names that no one cares about and can't win games. I guess they weighed this consideration this summer and rolled with it anyway.

Liked 328 Times in 174 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I think the idea is that the agent here is puffing up, not that Parker was. I have no doubts that the Twins organization is well respected and for good reason, but I'm not sure how much that really tells us. We all know the Twins are straight shooters and I'm sure that's appreciated, but it has little to do with what the organization does well or what it could improve upon.
    Agreed. Puff piece can be construed to mean whitewashing or deliberately painting an overly rosy picture, but I don't think anyone was accusing Parker of that. It seemed to me that those comments were directed at Sosnick, and probably it was less an indictment of his honesty and more of a sense of resignation about the expectation for comments in such an interview to be limited to compliments and positives.

That said, while I can see why Parker took umbrage at the puff piece comments, his resorting to amateur psychology to express his displeasure with one of those comments was out of character and left a sour taste after what was an interesting article.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast