Thread: baseball prospectus chat comments on Kohl Stewart

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts

baseball prospectus chat comments on Kohl Stewart

Found this interesting, it's from baseball propectus chat:
    Jeff L (Houston): Do you think any 2014 HS pitcher is better than Kohl Stewart? Tyler Kolek? Grant Holmes? Nick J. Faleris: This would be an interesting article. Stewart's value comes in his combination of now stuff, broad arsenal, and athleticism. There are arms that grade out better on individual pitches, or consistency, but Stewart's well-rounded profile is tough to match. I'd have to really think about it.
    LeBron James (Miami): Thanks for the chat, Nick. In your opinion, do you think Tyler Kolek, Grant Holmes and Touki Toussaint have better raw stuff than Kohl Stewart?
    Nick J. Faleris: Kolek has a louder fastball, but the secondary stuff and athleticism is way behind. Holmes is probably the closest based on his fastball/breaking ball combo, ability to hold velo late, and aggressive approach. It wouldn't shock me if Holmes passed Stewart's draft-time profile by next June, but there's work to do. Touki has the best raw stuff of the group with his FB/CB, but both are inconsistent. He has mixed-in a SL/CT offering this summer/fall with a lot of potential, as well, but he needs to find more consistency in his mechanics in order for the big stuff to play. Right now he just isn't consistent enough.

More stuff in the chat about Sano, Kepler and Buxton, too.
    Baseball Prospectus | Events | Chat with Nick J. Faleris

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    good to read because those 2014 guys are very exciting, high ceiling types as well... Oh, and they could be available at #5!

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I agree, so I didn't shed any big tears when we lost 96 games. Another 1 or 2 coming to Target Field will work out just fine. I know I'm wrong about this, but it seems too coincidental that King Theo and TR seem to be following the same path in garnering top draft choices.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 69 Times in 47 Posts
    At this point, draft season officially hasn't started yet, I prefer Stewart to Kolek/Holmes. While Stewarts fastball will never hit 100 like Kolek's I really enjoy all around profile. Holmes/Kolek have 7 months to change my mind. Either way adding another impact arm at 5 wouldn't be bad.

I sort of changed my mind on getting Kolek, I have the personal opinion that he won't be available by the time we pick. But I looks like gatewood is moving you in some of these drafts. so maybe just maybe. I do have to say, I like Kolek more simplely because of his dare I say sexy fastball, compared to some of the other pitcher we have on the staff, and have drafted. It's a long way off but it would nice to have some pitcher that could just throw it pass you, as well as pitch around you.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is way too early to talk about the 2014 draft. At this point a couple seasons ago, when the Twins drafted Buxton, Lucas Giolito was the number one cannot miss prospect.

Elbow issues later changed that.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So far Giolito has looked the part of a number 1 pick.... Yes he got hurt and fell but the talent appears to be where he was projected. So yes these guys can get hurt, but they can also get hurt a week before the draft. It's good to know who to pay attention to when they start playing ball this spring.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    good to read because those 2014 guys are very exciting, high ceiling types as well... Oh, and they could be available at #5!
    Ha, yeah. First instinct is to defend our guy Stewart against the new crop, but of course there's a decent chance one of those guys will be in the organization next year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    This is way too early to talk about the 2014 draft. At this point a couple seasons ago, when the Twins drafted Buxton, Lucas Giolito was the number one cannot miss prospect.

It's never too early! Research, research, research.

Your point with Giolito is aboslutely correct. But looking back at predraft hype, his draft spot and his accomplishments since, we can see that despite the injury, he still probably should have been a top 5 pick. So perhaps if the same fate befell Kolek or another top HS arm we should not be so quick to dismiss him. Research!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Will be happy to see another front line type pitcher being taken by the Twins at #5. If all three are gone it means the Twins will get a very good hitter(hopefully not an outfielder).

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    It's never too early! Research, research, research.

Your point with Giolito is aboslutely correct. But looking back at predraft hype, his draft spot and his accomplishments since, we can see that despite the injury, he still probably should have been a top 5 pick. So perhaps if the same fate befell Kolek or another top HS arm we should not be so quick to dismiss him. Research!
    Yeah it's never too early, where else are we supposed to misdirect our energies right now?

Also, I remember there being a fair amount of dissension on a HS pitcher being the consensus #1 pick, seeing as it's (still) never happened

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 69 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

Yeah. This time last year Appel was suppose to be the number 1 pick and.....ohh wait. Players will rise and fall but most of the top names will stay the same. Jim Callis when he still worked at BA did a Ask BA about it that proved this is true.

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I also liked him saying that if he had to build an organization around any one minor leaguer, it would be Buxton. Nice. We might have our own version of Thunder and Lightning in 2015.