Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Would Signing Jason Kubel Make Sense?

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Would Signing Jason Kubel Make Sense?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No, it doesn't, and here's how I know that....

Have any other left-handed hitting corner OF types been mentioned in relation to the Twins? No. And that's because they don't really need one. But invariably, fans and the media and even Twins Daily needs to wonder about some of their favorites returning, no matter whether it makes sense or not.

And for the record, I like Kubel and I think he's going to be a savvy pickup this offseason.

But the Twins are awash with guys like this and Kubel never really embraced Target Field and there are younger (albeit probably not better) options. Not only do I think this shouldnt happen, I can't imagine Terry Ryan doing it, not with someone like Rosario playing OF in the AFL.

I'm not rippping Cody for writing about it. And I promoted it, because people want to consider it. But really, it just doesn't make any sense.

I wonder if this thought also shouldn't be applied to Johan Santana somewhat. THere are a lot of injured starting pitchers on the market, and we'll likely crucify the Twins for signing any of them - unless that someone is Santana, in which case choirs will sing and doves will fly.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    LH Power Bat with no defense in a park that kills LH Power Bats...Pass.

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gotta agree with you, John. Most of the crowd here rants about how the Twins need to move one of these corner bats -- Willingham, Doumit, etc -- to free up space for the kids. Not sure how signing Kubes doesn't add to the old-guy log-jam.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll second (third?) John's post. There's too many players just like Kubel on the Twins roster right now. I'd rather see the opportunities go to Arcia and (eventually) Rosario. I enjoyed Kubel while he was a Twin, but I don't see the fit for this team.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are the Saints looking for a corner outfielder? Now THAT would be fun, watching Kubel in St. Paul. It brings back memories of buying Matt Nokes a beer at Gabe's after a game. And no, he didn't want to talk about the 1987 ALCS.

I concur with the above posts. Let's keep the corners open for Arcia & Rosario, et al. Best case scenario: the Hammer starts hot, gets traded by the deadline, and Rosario slides into left field.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Kubel's 2012 and 2013 seasons both look like outliers to me, on opposite ends of the spectrum. At best, Kubel is a good strong-side platoon bat with little to no defensive value. Those kind of guys are available very cheaply. The only reason to bring Kubel back would be nostalgia, and if that's what the Twins want, they should try and talk Thome into coming out of retirement before calling Kubel.

Right now, with Kubel in the dugout, who would he take at-bats from? He would basically become part of a rotating between Willingham, Doumit and himself...giving less at-bats to either of those guys, and, if anything, he would bump Parmelee or Colabello off the current roster. Can the Twins get the same or better from Colabello or Prmelee and have the luxury of someone who can play first? Would Kubel basically make Doumit an expensive backup in his walk year as a catcher. If we traded Willingham, would Kubel be a better fit in elft field (or switch with Arcia). At most, he would be a one-year low-contract pickup, which he should be able to find with any of a number of other teams that don't want, say, Delmon Young. As for Santana, if the price is right that you can afford to carry him on the disabled list, possibly, for most of the season, his p.r. value would be invaluable to the team right now...if you could get 3-4 or a half-dozen okay starts out of him.

Free Agency. There are the big names. But when the dust settles, there may be 250-300 or more guys out there, which can work out to 10 players per team. Most teams don't have that many roster spots available in the majors (especially) and the upper minors.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 801 Times in 504 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still think that Parmelee and Plouffe need to play every day somewhere. If they make no 1B signing, then giving Kubel a part time OF part time DH role isn't the worst of mistakes. Doumit's value I think is hampered when he plays too much, and I hope that Gardy in particular takes that to heart, as Doumit is a guy that could be flipped at the deadline if he's having a decent season.

As for Rosario, why are people suddenly asking him to go back to the corner OF? The Twins would be far better served to move Dozier back to SS before they move Rosario to the OF and add to an already crowded situation.

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    As for Rosario, why are people suddenly asking him to go back to the corner OF? The Twins would be far better served to move Dozier back to SS before they move Rosario to the OF and add to an already crowded situation.
    I disagree on the point of moving Dozier back to SS to free up a spot for Rosario. A lot of Dozier's value was in playing a sufficient 2B. His bat isn't so good it could outweigh the defensive value he would lose by moving to SS. I predict that if he was the everyday SS, he would be worth less than 1 WAR. Instead, I think we should keep playing Dozier until either he shows he isn't as good as last year, or until Rosario shows he's ready. If the latter is the case, you can trade one of them for an arm. The situation will work itself out.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Normally this would be a signing I would not consider, but the first question is for how much?

If Kubel could be signed for a very, very reasonable contract no more than two years in length he should be considered. The reason for this is "investment". If Kubel comes back healthy and hits well, then he can be moved to a contending team for value.

In the end, my guess is that is what some contending team will consider and will sign him to be a bat on the bench with the hopes they are getting a bargain.

Kubel would be a below average to average defensive outfielder and a decent hitter. If we didn't have a hoard of guys in the minors knocking on the door, I would say bring him aboard! But right now, I am more concerned with the progression of the young guys. Kubel should be able to get a multi-year deal somewhere and we don't need him for more than this year, if at all. So at this point, being patient with the youngsters is the way to go IMO. See what Hicks and Arcia can do this year. See what happens with Dozier and Rosario, that problem will work itself out. If there are guys to trade, ie Doumit, Willingham, Dozier, etc, make those trades. But I am fully expecting another year below .500. Thank god for the prospects to make this team interesting to follow!!

P.S. I believe the money will be best spent on a couple of #2/3 starters on the market, guys who can give us innings and occasionally give us a chance to win, as opposed to the constant early big deficits we have had the past couple years

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It might make sense... if he wasn't left-handed. I'd rather see left-handers Arcia and Parmelee at corner OF/1B/DH.

I guess the right-handed Kubel equivalent is probably Mike Morse. If there's room for Kubel on the team, Morse would slot into that role even better.

Kubel quit on us the last year he was here. He made it known that he was not a fan of Target Field. We have a younger, better version of him on our roster and his name is Oswaldo Arcia Arcia cost less and has a better upside. Why would we want to give Kubel at bats that Arcia should get? Just say NO to Jason.

They already have people who can strike out!

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
    We need less bad outfielders not another one. Some defense please!

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We could use a corner outfielder, but not one with poor defense. And DEFINITELY not a left handed one.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 801 Times in 504 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdosen View Post
    I disagree on the point of moving Dozier back to SS to free up a spot for Rosario. A lot of Dozier's value was in playing a sufficient 2B. His bat isn't so good it could outweigh the defensive value he would lose by moving to SS. I predict that if he was the everyday SS, he would be worth less than 1 WAR. Instead, I think we should keep playing Dozier until either he shows he isn't as good as last year, or until Rosario shows he's ready. If the latter is the case, you can trade one of them for an arm. The situation will work itself out.
    If the real Dozier is the 2nd half Dozier then his .800 OPS bat will play up just fine at SS. If this season's end results is the real Dozier, I'd trade him and give Rosario a shot a 2nd. Rosario's bat plays up very nice at 2nd, not nearly so much in the corner... and the OF is going to be crowded as it is with Buxton, Hicks, and Arcia all looking for spots, not to mention some other decent options coming up the pipeline.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kubel has a good looking beard, but the Twins have plenty of OF depth, especially at the corner positions. Bringing Koobs back doesn't make sense. I like him to have a comeback season, but it's not going to happen in Minnesota.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also, any talk of moving Dozier back to SS is pure garbage. Hog wash. Get away from that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast