@twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Gleeman and the Geek, Episode 118: Free Agent Pitching Options

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of the points that Aaron made around the 55 minute mark that I think is worth talking about and discussing.

I'm of the opinion that I'd rather see the Twins give another opportunity to the likes of Liam Hendriks, Scott Diamond, Vance Worley, Andrew Albers, etc. rather than sign the likes of Bruce Chen or Mike Pelfrey or Barry Zito or guys that aren't at least a #3 type of pitcher. Like Aaron mentioned, Phil Hughes or better... or don't bother. I completely agree.

Wbhat

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 485 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I certainly agree with Seth that there is talent in the system to man the #4 and #5 spots in the rotation. I would think it is more than possible that youngish guys who have already had success in the majors--Diamond & Worley--might bounce back in 2014. I do think that big Mike Pelfrey could be a #3 guy though. He got through his post-TJ season healthy and improved as the season went on. I don't consider him in the same category with aging used-up veterans like Zito and Chen.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Worley was pretty good in the NL in a small ballpark for 2 years. So I agree with John that there had to have been something wrong with that shoulder last year (which is, of course, why he was shut down). Pelfrey really has never been a #3, so I'm not optimistic that he could become a 3... but if the Twins do choose to sign him, I'll certainly hope he becomes that.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Agree with Seth, go big, or give the internal guys the jobs. Haven't listened yet, but if Ryan likes KC, Gibson, and Deduno, and plans to have an internal guy (Worley) man the 4/th/5th spot.....is he only signing 1 guy? And if so, go big please. I'd actually be OK with one guy they are CONVINCED is a number 2/3 (other than Tanaka, I see no 1s) and no other starting pitchers (if they also sign a legit hitter/fielder).
    Lighten up Francis....

I agree with the general sentiment in the above posts, qualified by two things:
    - The Twins have seen enough ups, downs and attrition with the young internal rotation candidates they've used in the past few years that I think there's some value to having one more slot filled by a veteran innings-eater even if he's no better than mid-rotation (think Correia but a little better.)
    - While "go big or not at all" in terms of aiming for a higher tier of pitchers was a sentiment expressed in the podcast, there was also one point at which I thought Aaron and John said basically that they wouldn't bother with most of the guys in their own top-rated tier, presumably because of the projected cost relative to performance.
    So then where are you aiming when you "go big"? It's probably safe to say they won't go after Garza and won't lure Tanaka, but who's in your range if you it's not worth it to pay for the likes of Jimenez and Santana?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I guess I don't get the cost concern. What else are they spending money on next year? Because they aren't signing Choo or Ellsbury, no matter how many posts I make with that in my sig.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    In that discussion, they were wondering if Worley has options left. I'd guess that he does have one left, but I think that's a factor in thinking about the offseason. Does anyone have a list of which players are out of options (of the posssible demotions)?

As I recall, Hendriks and Parmalee will be out of options. Plouffe, Mastroianni and Swarzak were out of option previously, I think. Possibly Escobar, Fein, Worley or Deduno could be added to that list. It would be nice to have a full list.

I think Hendriks has a good chance of being put in the bullpen to start the season if he doesn't make the rotation. That is just as true of Worley too, if he is out of options. Worley's persona seems like he'd be an interesting reliever. There's not that much room out there, but it could force the team to keep Pressly, Theilbar, Tonkin and/or Welker at AAA when they otherwise would be promoted.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig in MN View Post
    In that discussion, they were wondering if Worley has options left. I'd guess that he does have one left, but I think that's a factor in thinking about the offseason. Does anyone have a list of which players are out of options (of the posssible demotions)?
    As Aaron and John 'dared' me to, I sent them the same link that I'll put here, Jeremy's Rosters & Payroll link from the front page of Twins Daily.

http://twinsdaily.com/2291-minnesota...roll-2014.html

The link shows quickly that Vance Worley (and several others) are out of options.

Parmelee is out of options. Hendriks is not.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Thanks Seth.

This looks like this is the GOOO list (guys out of options):

Anthony Swarzak
    Vance Worley
    Samuel Deduno
    Scott Diamond
    Virgil Vasquez

Eduardo Escobar
    Alex Presley
    Trevor Plouffe
    Chris Parmelee

Anthony Swarzak
    Vance Worley
    Samuel Deduno
    Scott Diamond
    Virgil Vasquez

Eduardo Escobar
    Alex Presley
    Trevor Plouffe
    Chris Parmelee

SERIOUSLY??????? Go Cubs!

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,200 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I guess I don't get the cost concern. What else are they spending money on next year? Because they aren't signing Choo or Ellsbury, no matter how many posts I make with that in my sig.....
    Go big or go home.

SIGN ELLSBURY OR CHOO.

/ disclaimer - this is not my own recommendation of signings

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Willingham, Hicks, Buxton, Arcia, Rosario... I think that Twins are OK in the OF... why spend $100-120 million on those OF... Spend that on pitching!

So Hendriks still has an option year. Worley is tradebait if he can pitch. Same with Diamond and Deduno. We have to start thinking purely long-term here. Signing a free agent who will be pitching not only in 2015 but also 2016. When we look at names like Hendriks and Diamond, we can also see them as potential replacements for Duensing and Swarzak if those two become too expensive and if the rotation pushes Diamond and Hendriks out. The only reason to sign someone like a Pelf is because they might be tradebait, although why the Twins didn't have a second year option on Pelf is beyond me. Would've increased his trade value and given them a second year of the guy (at a higher price) if they saw fit.