Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denard Span trade option?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Denard Span trade option?

Trade Span? I was listening to the Common Man yesterday, they were responding to a thread of trading Denard Span. I was fishing yesterday morning on Lake Superior and I just yelled out why would you be talking about trading Span? Yes we need pitching, but we don't have OF's. Revere is not a lead off guy, sure he can run fast and cover lots of ground in the outfield, but he has as subpar arm. Everyones tradeable!! I get that, but I don't think trading Span is an option at this point. I think the upcoming draft is the place where we will upgrade pitching, also I think the free agent market, albeit not a huge pitching market next year is where we upgrade pitching, not trading Span. Greinke, Gibson, Baker, yeah Greinke is a stretch, but I don't think it is out of any possibilities. We need Span, to trade him would not be a smart move by the Twins right now.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 595 Times in 322 Posts
    Span has done pretty much everything asked of him so far this year (minus the 2 boneheaded throws to 3rd tonight). .376-.439-805, what more do you want from your lead-off hitter. Now is not the time to move Span. July, well we'll see.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Span has done pretty much everything asked of him so far this year (minus the 2 boneheaded throws to 3rd tonight). .376-.439-805, what more do you want from your lead-off hitter. Now is not the time to move Span. July, well we'll see.
    Agreed that trades can wait. We do need starting pitching help and Span could be one chip we could use, but not until Benson is ready.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Those weren't even "boneheaded" throws IMO if the first 1 is a second quicker or Valencia DOES ANYTHING to block the base as he recieves the throw thats an out.

And on Throw #2 you have to try for it at that point.

I agree with the Topic Poster though, at this point trading Span (this year) seems silly. It most certainly won't happen.
    (maybe in the off-season or next year, but not now)
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. A.B. Walker (OF-A) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11. Max Kepler (OF-A) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, P Ryan Eades.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not trading Span at all this year, and possibly not in the offseason. He's way too valuable in this lineup and in our outfield at this point and the players mentioned in house as possible replacements are anything but proven at the major league level. Yes, I get that we need pitching for this year and certainly next. The conundrum, don't think that this years draft is going to create pitching for next year or even 2014. Realistically, pitchers drafted this year will most likely not be contributors at the major league level for at least 3 seasons. Players drafted this year will be players, hopefully, performing at Target Field in the latter half of this decade. The Twins are going to have to pony up some money in the offseason to bring in FA pitching and they'll have that money available within the payroll. There's not enough talent right now to be trading away talent in return for talent elsewhere.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see why you'd trade Span. I don't consider him untouchable - if some other team calls TR with an offer too good to refuse, fine. But he's one of the last guys I'd look to as trade bait. He's a legit leadoff hitter who plays solid D in center and has a favorable contract.

And it's not like there's anyone he's blocking. I might feel differently if Revere had an arm or had shown he could get on base more consistently.

You consider trading Span because he's one of the only guys on the team with trade value (age, production, contract situation) and because the Twins have so many young outfielders coming through the system (outside of just Revere). Trading from a position of strength. No reason to trade him unless you get a really good offer.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have always liked Span, but agree with the idea that any player can be traded. Span is a "pretty good" player who fits in nicely in a sports market that always seems happy with "pretty good". I don't see Span A
    as the menacing lead off hitter/base stealer on a Championship team or a Gold Glove center fielder. A's a pretty good player with a team friendly contract, he might bring back a valuable championship piece.

You don't trade Span for pitching help this year, that's just foolish. This team is going nowhere, and there's no trade that will help us this year. You trade Span for good pitching prospects. We have several OF options coming up and Span has a lot of trade value.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the team is in contention... You don't trade Span. You take the 15 million off season cut from payroll and use it to acquire a player at the trade deadline.

If the team is NOT in contention. It will be a bad 2012 which followed a bad 2011. The farm lacks MLB ready Pitching. We need Arms badly. If Span will fetch 1 or 2. Fetch away...

I wish Span could be a Twin forever. If he has value and it's time to rebuild. Then rebuild and so be it.

Please... Anything but wallowing in mediocrity, for longer than necessary. If this team doesn't get good. Then let's get younger and Bad for a year or two as you Plan for the arrival of Sano.

In the event the club is out of it in July, which is a legitimate possibility, I think trading Span should be a priority. It just makes the most sense. A player with his skillset has a lot of value and we've got an immediate replacement. I say that liking Span and everything he's done for the organization.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    You scared the fish.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't like hearing trade talk about Span as he is one of my favorite players on this squad, but unfortunately I could see a trade involving him happen at some juncture in the next few years because our glutton of OF prospects and the fact that Hicks and Benson are true CF's. It is not often a team comes across a legitimate leadoff hitter like Span. I hope it does not happen, but it is certainly a possibility.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Trading Span for a Hunter Pence like deal makes sense - two top 50 prospects + 2 more young, upside guys. I'd wait to make sure the Twins aren't in contention in June/July and to see how Benson is doing at AAA to make sure we have a CFer.

But I really don't think the Twins are that far away from being good again. Hicks is looking good at AA, Michael is showing great plate discipline at Ft Myers, the #2 pick should be pretty good. Dozier should come up soon. Our pitching is thin but we'll have a lot of money to sign one good starter, if we want to, and Gibson will be back next year. Hendriks will have more experience.
    Last edited by gunnarthor; 04-22-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Out of curiosity: Who on this thread would have made the rumored trade from last summer (Span for Drew Storen of Tyler Clippard)?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Theres not many players i would trade span for... Hes a career .360+ obp with top speed, range and plate disciplin. Hes always been one of the best leadoff men in the game and trading him would be rediculous. Plus he still has a lot of career left, hed way move valuable to this team then prospects

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins got to trade their players high. I think that they will risk a lot if they do not trade Span this season and they will get a good return, hopefully a good SP if they trade him. Just too many centerfielders in the organization (Revere/Benson/Hicks/A. Morales) who can contribute this season and next and in 2014 not to do it...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

the only way I trade span is for a good young starting pitcher. In the example above--if trade with the Nats--not Storen or Clippard--but yes for Strasberg (wont happen) or Jordan Zimmerman (possible).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Insane to trade a top 10 MLB CF for a relief pitcher, insane. The only way is to get a legit, big time starting pitcher prospect, or maybe a legit 2B/3B who will be here and above average for years....
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Insane to trade a top 10 MLB CF for a relief pitcher, insane. The only way is to get a legit, big time starting pitcher prospect, or maybe a legit 2B/3B who will be here and above average for years....
    Look what the Pirates got for McClouth a few years ago (not retrospectively): An MLB-ready SP, and 2 of the Braves' top 5 prospects. I'd trade Span for something like this in a heartbeat.

The Twins will do not need a 3B and 2B for years They have Sano and Rosario. ERA 1014/5. Need fillgaps until then.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast