Thread: Justin Morneau

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

Justin Morneau

Nice writeup on Justin Morneau on MLBTraderumors

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

From the article

Market
    Morneau and his agent, Mark Pieper of SFX, approached the Twins about a potential contract extension this summer but were rebuffed at the time. Minnesota has no clear replacement waiting in the wings, with Chris Parmelee and Chris Colabello both posting sub-par big league numbers. The team may want to leave first base open for a potential position change for Joe Mauer, but a reunion between the two sides does make some sense.
    Morneau may be better suited to play for a team in a hitter-friendly ballpark (Target Field certainly does not qualify, especially for left-handed batters). The Blue Jays have long been rumored to have interest, but there doesn't necessarily appear to be a fit with Lind and Edwin Encarnacion set to handle DH and first base.
    Morneau could follow the path that Loney and many others have taken and seek to rebuild his value with the Rays, who would have no shortage of platoon options available. He could also be a first base option for the Red Sox, Brewers, Rockies or Rangers. Pirates GM Neal Huntington could also look to retain Morneau at a reduced rate.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Here is the direct link to the article so you don't have to hunt for it on the main page.

Justin Morneau Profile- MLBTradeRumors.com

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd give him 2 years, 8-10 million just for the leadership presence and fan popularity. It's not like he is blocking up and coming Prospects...

I dont think he's a leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    I dont think he's a leader.
    But he's my favorite so I would explore options.

It it is amazing reading the recent posts about what free agents the Twins should target. The names that stand out to me are Justin, Johan, Baker and Kubel. We might as well look at Torii and Punto too. The gang's all here

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    He is not good right now. Go get some good players, or use the drek you have. No need to sign more bad players.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    He is not good right now. Go get some good players, or use the drek you have. No need to sign more bad players.
    But he's not a "bad" player, he's an average one (right now). An average player with a track record of greatness is far better than what Coloballo or Parm would bring to the table, no? Not saying Parm can't turn things around or Chris can't rake at the MLB level after some time, but let's be honest, Morney would be a way more sure bet for "average player" at first base next year. If you want to bring in someone better that's another story, but I think that 100% of TR's effort should be spent in bringing in starting pitching.

Senior Member All-Star
    He is not close to average. His WAR has been under one the last two years. He is not good right now. One of my favorite twins ever, but he has not been good or average for at least two years.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's an average player that we could bring in for an average to below average price without blocking any prospects, drawing more fans to target field, and honoring someone who has given us his best years. Give him a two year contract and let him retire a twin two years from now. I know that is fairly young retirement, it just may be reality though.

Senior Member All-Star
    By what measure is he close to average?
    Lighten up Francis....

He is (was) slightly below average in OPS, HR, and slugging. He is average in...average. His defense is probably average to slightly above average. The point of my post was more to observe that Morny would be a most probably upgrade over Chris or Parm.

Senior Member All-Star
    Average compared to first basemen, or the whole league? Because when I go to fangraphs and sort, he is not average on home rubs or slugging compared to first basemen. If you are spending money, it should be real money, or total fliers. Not mediocrity or worse.
    Lighten up Francis....

Average compared to first basemen, or the whole league? Because when I go to fangraphs and sort, he is not average on home rubs or slugging compared to first basemen. If you are spending money, it should be real money, or total fliers. Not mediocrity or worse.
    Ok, full disclosure, I'm very drunk and eating Aldi brand cool ranch tortilla chips, so I may be missing something here. How is playing Parm or Colobello better than playing Morneau? Most of us agree we want to win now AND field a great team in the near future. So how does refusing to acknowledge Morneau would be an upgrade over the afore mentioned gentlemen accomplish that? I get that you probably want to give those guys at-bats, but there are at-bats to be had in RF and DH (with Arcia). Everyone here is constantly ragging on the team for not upgrading the talent NOW, NOW, NOW. This is an easy move to upgrade 1B. If you don't like it, fine, it is certainly debatable. But don't lump Morneau in with the "drek" we would alternatively run out there.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Morneau has no future. It's not totally clear to me that Parmelee has no future. And then there is the Mauer-at-first potential factor.

Also, he isn't very good now anyway. Also, he would be rather silly to not find a good hitter's park.

The Twins are frustrating spenders much of the time when they do spend. Paying millions for replacement-level or barely above replacement-level players is not wise. Spending more for potential very good to star players, or playing minimum money for more players and hoping one actually works seems like potentially a better idea.

Senior Member All-Star
    Me? I'd put Mauer at first. Shane has it right, spend on really good players, or don't bother.
    Lighten up Francis....

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,246 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Me? I'd put Mauer at first. Shane has it right, spend on really good players, or don't bother.
    There comes a time to spend on an average major leaguer (they don't grow on trees). That's when you are a contender and there is a gaping hole at a position, where even an average guy would shore things up. But we're not there now, and I agree with looking for higher upside than Morneau can offer, however much we respect his past contributions.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    Judge Smails: "If you don't look at stats, how do you measure yourself against other baseball players?"

Morneau: "By height."