Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 92

Thread: Ask Jack: Minnesota Twins' Jack Goin Answers Your Questions

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Hi Jack, if forced to choose just one, what is your single favorite publically-available stat to measure offensive performance and why? (ie - BA, OBP, SLG, OPS, RC, RAA, OBA, VORP, TAv, any of their weighted brethren, etc)
    We regularly refer to OPSBI.

  2. #22
    Jack, thanks for being a part of Twins Daily.

    Why do the Twins hold certain qualities or skills, if you will, so near and dear to their heart when there are statistics out there that prove otherwise. I'm just going off the top of my head, Drew Butera. The front office put a ton of weight on his "ability to call/catch a good game" and chose to overlook his career .500 OPS.

    When a defensive-oriented player is struggling to this extent offensively, do you step in ever or in Butera's case, did you step in and say that his defense is no where near outweighing his lack of offensive production? Is Management willing to completely overlook a players offensive totals if they can "catch the ball?" Nick Punto is another player that comes to mind, Pedro Florimon, etc. This sounds stupid, but have you been able to help the Twins FO forget about things like grit, chemistry, toughness?

  3. #23
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,175
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Jack,
    here is a question for you (let's call it hypothetical situation) :

    Who would you rather have:

    Pitcher A who never pitched in the majors, is 25 (and let's say his birthday is today), had a record of 24-0 with 1.27 ERA in a foreign league that is likely a AAA equivalent competition, is projected to have an about 3.50 xFIP in the majors and would cost about $150 million for 5 years

    or

    Pitcher B who has been pitching in the majors for a while with a few All Star appearances and post-season, including World Series, experience, just turned 33, and in the majors in 2013 he finished 10-14 with an ERA of 4.70 and an xFIP of around 3.65. He struck out more per 9 in the majors than pitcher A did in his league. Let's say that he would cost around $25 million for 2 years with an additional option and incentives.

    If you could sign either (No problems, they both want to come and play for you. Cleared by doctors. Scouts say they are both great) Who would you rather sign?

    Thanks
    Last edited by Thrylos; 11-01-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Jack,
    here is a question for you (let's call it hypothetical situation) :

    Who would you rather have:

    Pitcher A who never pitched in the majors, is 25 (and let's say his birthday is today), had a record of 24-0 with 1.27 ERA in a foreign league that is likely a AAA equivalent competition, is projected to have an about 3.50 xFIP in the majors and would cost about $150 million for 5 years

    or

    Pitcher B who has been pitching in the majors for a while with a few All Star appearances and post-season, including World Series, experience, just turned 33, and in the majors in 2013 he finished 10-14 with an ERA of 4.70 and an xFIP of around 3.65. He struck out more per 9 in the majors than pitcher A did in his league. Let's say that he would cost around $25 million for 2 years with an additional option and incentives.

    If you could sign either (No problems, they both want to come and play for you. Cleared by doctors. Scouts say they are both great) Who would you rather sign?

    Thanks
    Nice try. Creative line of questioning though.

  5. #25
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,528
    Like
    78
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    31
    What technologies or data or new analysis have most helped major league teams in their decision making process in the last 5-10 years?

    What's next? Any emerging technologies or analysis that teams will be available in the next 5 years?

  6. #26
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Pulling this question of mine from the other thread...

    Jack, have you been tasked to look at the business side of things as well as player evaluations? For example, airlines and hotels have expertise by now in a well-developed field of Revenue Management (or Operations Research, more generally) - do the Twins engage in anything that might fall into that category, for example to consider the business ramifications of losing 100 versus keeping it below that threshold?

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    What technologies or data or new analysis have most helped major league teams in their decision making process in the last 5-10 years?

    What's next? Any emerging technologies or analysis that teams will be available in the next 5 years?
    Obviously Pitch fx revolutionized not only the analytics world but scouting as well. The amount of information we have been able to pull from this is amamzing.
    A relatively new company TrackMan records much of the same info as Pitch f/x along with batted ball data. You should follow Josh Orenstein on Twitter at @JoshOrensteinTM. He is tweeting out a bunch of fun info from the Arizona Fall League right now.
    There are a few tests we do on our medical side that have helped us prevent or recognize injuries faster the past two seasons.
    I think Field f/x is the next big thing. This could really help us with defensive metrics.
    Last edited by Jack Goin; 11-01-2013 at 05:25 PM.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Pulling this question of mine from the other thread...

    Jack, have you been tasked to look at the business side of things as well as player evaluations? For example, airlines and hotels have expertise by now in a well-developed field of Revenue Management (or Operations Research, more generally) - do the Twins engage in anything that might fall into that category, for example to consider the business ramifications of losing 100 versus keeping it below that threshold?
    I keep my work to the baseball side of things but we do have business analytics department as well that is separate from what we do.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig in MN View Post
    The Twins have long had a propensity to go after control pitchers who don't walk batters....finding a lot of value in that. It makes sense that on offense, going after hitters that can/will work a walk would have the same value, but the Twins haven't put nearly as much effort on that side. Is there anything to that?

    The Twins (and every team really) plays lefty/righty matchups constantly with relievers from a pitching perspective....presumably knowing that the platoon advantage is a big deal in those at-bats. Doesn't it make as much sense to make an effort to platoon hitters to take advantage of that on the offensive side? Or is the idea of a platoon really just overrated because of roster limitations? Maybe swapping one less lefty reliever would allow for one more lefty hitter to allow for a platoon?
    I'm not sure your observation about hitters is totally true. Willingham is capable of working a walk. He had a 14% BB%. Everyone knows Joe's ability to work deep in counts, but he is an anomaly. Most guys don't hit as well with 2 strikes as he does. Doumit had an above average BB%. Even guys with limited experience like Colabello & Herrmann had 9%+ walk rates.
    Also, if you look at count splits guys tend to hit well early in the count. I would say it is more about getting a pitch you can drive, no matter if it is early in the count or not. You can get to a bullpen by knocking a guy around and scoring runs just like you can taking pitches and driving up the pitch count.

    In regards to your platoon question I think Terry addressed this question pretty well in his Q&A with Parker for the Off-Season Handbook. You would like to find guys who can play everyday, 150+ games. Those are good players. They can hit both RHP & LHP well. If you have the need to platoon for whatever reason it can work if you set it up correctly.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    What player has been the most "positive" player brought in that you suggested? Which player did you recommend yet the Twins didn't bring in that you regret?

    (sorry for the poorly worded sentence...long day)
    Long day or have you been in a bottle of vodka like your username suggests?

  11. #31
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,644
    Like
    931
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Goin View Post
    Long day or have you been in a bottle of vodka like your username suggests?
    Rhetorical question.

  12. #32
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,740
    Like
    870
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Rhetorical question.
    Members have been banned for less....

  13. #33
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,511
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Jack, I think I recall you talking earlier in the season (maybe spring training?) about hoping to see some advances in the analytics available in the minor leagues. I'm wondering if you've seen more analytics used in the minor leagues? Are those teams/affiliates getting the technology they need to provide your group and Brad's people with any information that may not have been available even a year or two ago?

  14. #34
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,644
    Like
    931
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Members have been banned for less....
    Some things are worth the risk...

  15. #35
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    313
    Like
    4
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hello Jack,

    Thanks for doing this, fans really appreciate it!

    We often hear how the team intends to be active/aggressive on players but then is shocked at what teams throw at these players. I find it suprising that the FO would have such a continual issue with guaging the upcoming markets. With Jim Pohlad remarking how they need to be more aggressive this year & payroll definitely available. Do you feel there is a better understanding of what the value of cotnracts the FA market will be garnering this off season considering the new TV money being available to all teams as well?

    When there is a scenario like this last season where there was payroll available but went unused. Why isnt there an effort to restructure contracts or sign players to front loaded contracts so as to not tie up as much money in future payroll that would hamstring the team from resigning the players they want to keep around?
    Last edited by Trevor0333; 11-02-2013 at 01:13 AM. Reason: I suck at editing

  16. #36
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Some things are worth the risk...
    Moderator's note: Let's keep the signal-to-noise ratio at a record high level, folks. Parker didn't mention, but it's probably obvious, that this is a thread the moderation team is watching closely. Review the Comments Policy if you need a refresher on where the "risks" lie; most members have nothing to worry about.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    313
    Like
    4
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Moderator's note: Let's keep the signal-to-noise ratio at a record high level, folks. Parker didn't mention, but it's probably obvious, that this is a thread the moderation team is watching closely. Review the Comments Policy if you need a refresher on where the "risks" lie; most members have nothing to worry about.
    This sounds like an advanced baseball stat

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Goin View Post
    We regularly refer to OPSBI.
    Is this a serious response? I'm bad at detecting sarcasm over the internet.

  19. #39
    Senior Member Double-A shs_59's Avatar
    Posts
    199
    Like
    13
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Hey Mr. Goin....

    Which College had the privlage to call Jack one of their students?

    Also Does , in you're estimation or best honesty, Terry Ryan OR Rob Antony know what BABIP truley is?

    IF so Great!

    How about WRC+ ?

    On the pitching side which do you prefer as a great way to assess a pitcher.?
    Is You're method/ formula differ greatly or actually is similar to the above mentioned Mr. Ryan and Antony.?

    I Apologize for long question, and realize it may go un-read anyways.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

  20. #40
    I have a lot of fun watching teams play extreme defensive shifts.

    Do you take into account how much fun I'm having when you determine the value of these shifts?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.