Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blueprint Season

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Blueprint Season

I'll take my turn in the "blueprint" posts and suggest my own. Critique at your own whim, I'm open to all opinions.

1. Purge B.J Hermsen, Darin Mastroianni, and Chris Parmelee from the 40 man roster
    2. Add Kennys Vargas, Alex Wimmers, Jorge Polanco, and A.J Achter
    3. Tender Anthony Swarzak and Trevor Plouffe;Non-tender Brian Duensing
    4a Sign SP Ubaldo Jimenez to 4 year deal worth 64 million
    4b Sign SP Suk Yin-Moon for 4 year, 24 million
    4c Sign 1B/OF Corey Hart to 1 year, 8 million
    5. Trade 2B Eddie Rosario, SP Alex Meyer, SP Trevor May for SP Brandon Maurer and RP Charlie Furbush. (High risk trade for either team; value seems okay both ways to me at least)
    6. Trade SP Kevin Correia for whatever before the trade deadline

Since the opening day roster will be worse then the 2nd half if certain prospects advance, I will use the post ASB one. This really only assumes Sano, Hicks, and Gibson are there.

Lineup Depth Chart:
    Catcher: Joe Mauer, Josmil Pinto, Ryan Doumit
    First Base: Trevor Plouffe, Joe Mauer
    Second Base: Brian Dozier, Eduardo Escobar
    Third Base: Miguel Sano, Trevor Plouffe
    Shortstop: Pedro Florimon, Eduardo Escobar
    Left Field: Josh Willingham, Aaron Hicks
    Center Field: Aaron Hicks, Alex Presley
    Right Field: Corey Hart, Oswaldo Arcia
    Designated Hitter: Oswaldo Arcia, Ryan Doumit, Josmil Pinto, Josh Willingham

Total Position Players: 13

Rotation and Bullpen
    SP1 Ubaldo Jimenez
    SP2 Suk Yin-Moon
    SP3 Samuel Deduno
    SP4 Brandon Maurer
    SP5 Kyle Gibson

RP Michael Tonkin
    RP Ryan Pressly
    RP Charlie Furbush
    RP Anthony Swarzak
    RP Caleb Thielbar
    RP Casey Fien
    RP Glen Perkins

These are some big plans, but in order to turn this team around we are going to have to gamble. Maurer, Yin-Moon, and Hart are tough signs to pull the trigger on, but I think they'll all be worth it. Hart was known for consistency prior to 2013 and there is a good chance he can rebound. Maurer still has some great potential and he should be able to figure things out soon enough. Then there's the added bonus of having Maurer pitch to Mauer. I feel Jimenez is the safest bet despite the potential thought that 2013 was a fluke. His FIP has been under 4 every season since 2008 except in 2012.
    This is a team that can start to get the Twins to take a step towards the playoffs. I think 80 wins looks possible if there is more positive than negative. It's a bit of a cap hit 30m a year though
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 11-01-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Meyer, May, and Rosario seem like an awfully steep price for a guy with a 6.30 ERA last year.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    5. Trade 2B Eddie Rosario, SP Alex Meyer, SP Trevor May for SP Brandon Maurer and RP Charlie Furbush. (High risk trade for either team; value seems okay both ways to me at least)
    That would bring back David Price and then some, but I think that Meyer might actually end up being better than Price seeing them both pitch...

As far as I am concerned, Meyer, along with Sano and Buxton are untouchables in the system.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    That would bring back David Price and then some, but I think that Meyer might actually end up being better than Price seeing them both pitch...

As far as I am concerned, Meyer, along with Sano and Buxton are untouchables in the system.
    I assumed the #5 was just a joke, right? Meyer is absolutely untouchable in my mind. I think that package would get David Price for sure!! Wow! Charlie Furbush???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I assumed the #5 was just a joke, right? Meyer is absolutely untouchable in my mind. I think that package would get David Price for sure!! Wow! Charlie Furbush???
    Should I have included Sano too..? Really I might consider that for Walker though. It would be great to get a pitcher with ace potential before they actually become said ace. Pitchers with lots of team control are what the Twins need. Maurer obviously isn't a good enough pitcher and Meyer alone in that is better than him. But still Charlie Furbush is a beast by the way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

I'd have Stewart as untouchable too. Even if he has proven nothing.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That is an incredible price for Maurer, Meyer is an equal if not stronger prospect & only half a year behind Maurer in mlb readiness.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My untouchable list would prob be 2 tiered.

Tier 1 - Nothing is getting these guys
    Buxton & Sano

Tier 2 - Your only getting these for young high upside MLB ready SP
    Meyer, Stewart, Rosario, Berrios, Thorpe
    Last edited by Trevor0333; 11-01-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I respect your opinions, but I don't agree with some of this. 1. I don't like because of Parmelee's involvement. 4b. He is a big unknown (not sure if he can start) and you have him as our #2 starter? 5. Well that's just silly. Bonus: no Burton?

after double checking to make sure my responses were correct and I didn't misread, I noticed that Trevor May was on that Trade as well. You really had to be joking. Breaking down this trade: Meyer is a better prospect in mind than Mauerer. Than you would like to trade ROSARIO and MAY for another reliever as if we this is a position of need. It just had to be a joke.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I respect your opinions, but I don't agree with some of this. 1. I don't like because of Parmelee's involvement. 4b. He is a big unknown (not sure if he can start) and you have him as our #2 starter? 5. Well that's just silly. Bonus: no Burton?

after double checking to make sure my responses were correct and I didn't misread, I noticed that Trevor May was on that Trade as well. You really had to be joking. Breaking down this trade: Meyer is a better prospect in mind than Mauerer. Than you would like to trade ROSARIO and MAY for another reliever as if we this is a position of need. It just had to be a joke.
    As for 4b, I REALLY like what I see from him on youtube. I think his stuff looks good enough, but it doesn't help that Korean batters are hitting against him. The price for him doesn't seem too risky and I'd like to see the Twins take a stab at it. I'd probably use Burton over Pressly or Tonkin as well. With 5 this caught some attention

Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think they will tender Deunsing. He doesn't make that much. There is room in the budget for him.

1. The Twins will sign 2-3 Starting Pitchers ( Lets hope they get good ones)
    2. We also hope they sign a player with offensive potential for 1B (Hart is our favorite but there are others too...Morneau...)
    3. I would like to see the Twins sign a MI who can play SS as a back up in case Florimon slumps for extended period (Punto maybe) but I guess that is going to be Bernier and Beresford next season waiting in AAA.

Because there is so much wait and see regarding the position player prospects who are coming up next year I don't see the Twins involved in major trades until after next season when they see what they have unless they determine to unload a reliever or an OF like Presley or a player they are ready to move on from Parmelee, Colabello, or eventually Plouffe if he doesn't prove he fully belongs next year.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What I like is the aggressiveness of your rebuild. The Twins can afford to be aggressive.

Duensing has trade value so letting him or Parmalee walk for nothing is not the way to go. Trading Rosario and May I can live with but not Meyer and not in anything bringing back a reliever.

I love that you threw out ideas that draw reaction, signed starting pitchers.

Blog Entries
    As for 4b, I REALLY like what I see from him on youtube. I think his stuff looks good enough, but it doesn't help that Korean batters are hitting against him. The price for him doesn't seem too risky and I'd like to see the Twins take a stab at it. I'd probably use Burton over Pressly or Tonkin as well. With 5 this caught some attention
    I agree with you that he looks great in the Youtube videos. I would also like the Twins to consider him, my only hesitation about your plan is that you are relying on him being a number 2 (for us) which even given our poor pitching is expecting a lot from a Korean pitcher who didn't work solely as a starter in his own league. Otherwise I will be very pleased if we sign him and see what he can do as long as we are signing other pitchers and not planning on him being a sturdy starter for us.

Blog Entries
    I see the points that are being made about Duensing, but I'm just really skeptical that he'll be successful here. Last season was definitely a mixed bag. I'm just thinking maybe you cut a corner here on an unimportant LOOGY role. Perhaps you try Ibarra (fluke?), Darnell, or someone along those lines. The bullpen is a strength and Duensing is the weakest part of it outside of Pressly who'll be battling Tonkin for a spot. 2 million really isn't that bad, but I don't feel like he's earned it.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree, Yourhouse. Trade a couple relievers (Duensing and ?), Parmalee and Plouffe for something of future value AND be aggressive in free agency

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I agree with you that he looks great in the Youtube videos. I would also like the Twins to consider him, my only hesitation about your plan is that you are relying on him being a number 2 (for us) which even given our poor pitching is expecting a lot from a Korean pitcher who didn't work solely as a starter in his own league. Otherwise I will be very pleased if we sign him and see what he can do as long as we are signing other pitchers and not planning on him being a sturdy starter for us.
    He'd probably better fit at the bottom, but he's really only 2 from lack of a better option. If Gibson or Meyer were to emerge and if Deduno could stay healthy, I'd be comfortable putting him below them. Ultimately, you have Diamond and Worley as last resorts in Rochester or you can hold onto Correia.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd have Stewart as untouchable too. Even if he has proven nothing.
    For present discussion purposes I don't think Stewart can even be traded until June or July, per league rules.

Blog Entries
    I agree that Duensing is expendable, but either way, I don't think this is a major role for next season's team. If he's gone someone else can step in and perform as well as Duensing. It's not like his money is going to make a difference. So either way, doesn't matter.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the plan..with one exeption. Meyer needs to be untouchable. We need him for 6 yrs. Or more.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    For present discussion purposes I don't think Stewart can even be traded until June or July, per league rules.
    How long can a player be in PTBNL limbo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast