Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Top 50 Prospects: 21-25

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minnesota Twins Top 50 Prospects: 21-25

Sulburan sounds like a Johan Santana. Good pick up by TR!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    One thing I've noticed about the pitchers--they haven't thrown very many innings. I fear their results are skewed because they are rarely tired nor spent long enough in a game for the opponents to "get a read" on them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heimer View Post
    The changeup is certainly interesting, and Santana wasn't a big guy either. Santana hit 94 earlier in his career, but a great changeup can make you a solid big leaguer.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    milb.com has the name: Felix Jorge. Not Jorge Felix.

I assume you have him below a player like Gonsalves.

I see lot of prospect rankings keep players like Landa, Rosario and Jorge down yet elavate a guy like Gonsalves. All of them are teenagers, and Jorge has a longer track record than Gonsalves. Yet Gonsalves gets the higher ranking...I always wonder whats that about.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    Thanks for this Seth. Each new installment gives me something to look forward to.

Question: Is Felix Jorge's height (projectability?) the largest factor in his superior ranking to Landa and Rosario? Or does he just have better stuff and solid peripherals?

Blog Entries
    His actual name is Jorge Felix (according to multiple source, himself included).

He is said to have a little better stuff than the other two. He's also a little taller which right-or-wrong often means potential for more velocity.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 293 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    milb.com has the name: Felix Jorge. Not Jorge Felix.

I assume you have him below a player like Gonsalves.

I see lot of prospect rankings keep players like Landa, Rosario and Jorge down yet elavate a guy like Gonsalves. All of them are teenagers, and Jorge has a longer track record than Gonsalves. Yet Gonsalves gets the higher ranking...I always wonder whats that about.
    It's about upside. By my rating system, Gonsalves was the top high school lefthander in the 2013 draft, who only slipped because his coach was a dick and told scouts not to draft him. He also has the body of a future front-line starter. None of the E-Town guys do.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I know some fans don't like cliches like downward plane, but it's an important piece to pitching, for sure. Gonsalves will show up on the list soon.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    That list of arms is why I think dealing successful bullpen arms (when your team is bad) is a good idea. There are plenty of guys that could be good in the bullpen in the future, imo, if they move them to the pen sooner. As a player, it really makes sense if you are a marginal starter to move sooner, rather than later, to make some real money someday.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    There is a tendency on lists like these for the draft hype to influence the rankings and bump drafted players ahead of international signings. I think Seth has done a good job making sure it isn't just hype that drives the rankings. So far I think I'd just flip Wimmers and Turner and call it good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    There is a tendency on lists like these for the draft hype to influence the rankings and bump drafted players ahead of international signings. I think Seth has done a good job making sure it isn't just hype that drives the rankings. So far I think I'd just flip Wimmers and Turner and call it good.
    To be frank, I'm sure I would flip-flop a few of them already based on good comments and discussion, but I've also received more scouting reports and have more information. A prospect list should always be in flux, in my opinion. Maybe not drastic change based on new information, but all information should be considered.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heimer View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Santana wasn't exactly a big guy either, but I couldn't remember how hard each guy throws. I'm hoping I'm not making an irresponsible comparison.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Santana wasn't exactly a big guy either, but I couldn't remember how hard each guy throws. I'm hoping I'm not making an irresponsible comparison.
    I don't think it's irresponsible to think of Johan when you hear the term "devastating changeup". Whether he develops to that level remains to be seen, but the upside is nice and very exciting.

And I'd add, for all the talk about the front office, the one thing Ryan has done exceptionally well is to mine prospects from other team's systems.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 293 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pedro Hernandez has a great change-up. He got outrighted today, meaning no other team claimed him on waivers. Why? Because he has a below-average fastball. What made Johan so spectacular was the 94-mph fastball with sink, combined with the 78-mph change-up. Also, he had three major-league pitches. When the blister made the slider impossible, he became ordinary. When he had all three going, he dominated.

I know Sulburan throws harder than Hernandez. But he needs to have a three-pitch mix to be mentioned in the same discussion with Santana. And he needs to add a foot or movement or both to his fastball as well. He's young, so there's some hope. But if he had those things, he would be a top 10 prospect.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Blog Entries
    And that's why he's in the high-20s instead of the high-teens. Very well explained.

Jorge has amazing velocity for 6'3" and 168#. They call him 6:00 because he is so tall and thin. I tried all summer to turn him into 6:15 without success. He is a great kid and his English got good enough this summer to be able to understand humor in English. I can't wait to see him in March.

Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    Thanks for this Seth. Each new installment gives me something to look forward to.

Question: Is Felix Jorge's height (projectability?) the largest factor in his superior ranking to Landa and Rosario? Or does he just have better stuff and solid peripherals?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    It's about upside. By my rating system, Gonsalves was the top high school lefthander in the 2013 draft, who only slipped because his coach was a dick and told scouts not to draft him. He also has the body of a future front-line starter. None of the E-Town guys do.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Gonsalves, but the reports I read about Felix combined with the stats he is throwing up make me think he might be the better prospect.
    But if both reach the level of Front Line No Hitter Every Night Ace Pitchers...well thats fine with me.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    Nice write up, Seth. I really like Felix. Hope he has a big jump next season.

Blog Entries
    Thanks! I would love to see him make a big jump up this list in 2014 too!! He's certainly a talent!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast