Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AFL notes

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries

AFL notes

Sort of an anti-climatic AFL season so far given the Buxton injury, but I thought this would be a good place to just jabber about day-to-day stuff happening there. Odd that more people aren't talking about it . . . .

Anyway:

Eddie Rosario and Alex Meyer are impressive. Max Kepler is doing ok in a league that is advanced for him. Trevor May is also ok. A.J. Achter is good. Zach Jones is struggling.

Also, NICK WITTGREN, that guy who is from Lafayette, IN, went to Purdue, and who I raved about and hyped his draft chances in earlier rounds . . . is just dominating. He has been completely dominant for two years and it is continuing in the AFL. 11 Ks in 5 1/3 innings. The Twins drafted L.J. Mazzilli instead . . .

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Sort of an anti-climatic AFL season so far given the Buxton injury, but I thought this would be a good place to just jabber about day-to-day stuff happening there. Odd that more people aren't talking about it . . . .

Anyway:

Eddie Rosario and Alex Meyer are impressive. Max Kepler is doing ok in a league that is advanced for him. Trevor May is also ok. A.J. Achter is good. Zach Jones is struggling.

Also, NICK WITTGREN, that guy who is from Lafayette, IN, went to Purdue, and who I raved about and hyped his draft chances in earlier rounds . . . is just dominating. He has been completely dominant for two years and it is continuing in the AFL. 11 Ks in 5 1/3 innings. The Twins drafted L.J. Mazzilli instead . . .
    Yeah, we aren't talking about the AFL enough. Wittgren is a nice late pick on your part but I'm not going to kill the Twins for not taking a college reliever. For all I know, he could be the next Anthony Slama. After the first few rounds, the draft is pretty tough to predict.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 754 Times in 468 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Buxton, Jones, and Kepler are all playing talent that sits higher than where they played this season. I think the expectations are a bit high if we were expecting them to dominate. This is more a learning situation for them. They now know what they have to be better at next year. I see that as a positive. If you remember, Buxton didn't exactly light the world on fire in rookie ball last year. Apparently, however, it inspired him to go back home and work harder that offseason... and look what happened. I suspect this will be a good thing long term (at least for Buxton).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, Buxton did homer yesterday. His second in the AFL. I think he will continue to heat up as he gets more familiar with the league.
    Kepler accually seems to be keeping up for the most part which is encouraging.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Marlins picked this guy up on the 9th round?
    Their scouts must just be way better than ours.
    Sadly, Wittgren is not an isolated incident.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    The Marlins picked this guy up on the 9th round?
    Their scouts must just be way better than ours.
    Sadly, Wittgren is not an isolated incident.
    Marlins scouts are at least 8x better than ours. We passed on this guy 8-9 times. Oh wait, so did 29 other teams.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 754 Times in 468 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Marlins scouts are at least 8x better than ours. We passed on this guy 8-9 times. Oh wait, so did 29 other teams.
    Yeah this. The average draft is going to get you what, 40-60 major leaguers? It would be awesome if the Twins managed to get 10-20 of them with their draft but that's just unrealistic. From about the 3rd round down, just about everyone picked is a complete crap shoot. It would have been great to get Wittgren, but every team is saying that right now. They all passed him up.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Yeah this. The average draft is going to get you what, 40-60 major leaguers? It would be awesome if the Twins managed to get 10-20 of them with their draft but that's just unrealistic. From about the 3rd round down, just about everyone picked is a complete crap shoot. It would have been great to get Wittgren, but every team is saying that right now. They all passed him up.
    No argument there, but the Marlins and Rays seem to wind up with excellent prospects without going through the string of bad luck years like most other MLB teams.

They are doing something better than the other teams. Year after year is not a coincidence. They are seeing something different. Teams should be trying to figure out what it is that they are doing different.

That was the point of, 'Wittgren is not an isolated incident.'

I refuse to believe that people in Florida are just smarter than everyone else.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Blog Entries
    Keep in mind that I was jabbering about Wittgren for months before that 2012 draft, so that's why I brought him up in the first place. This wasn't just some guy it was one guy who I thought was going to be fantastic and even picked in round 4!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wasn't Achter a 10th or 11th round choice? The Marlins and Rays must be really slipping to let him fall that low.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Achter as actually the 46th round pick in 2010.

Blog Entries
    I want nothing more than to just end this thread now.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,525 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I want nothing more than to just end this thread now.
    Well, you're going to get that response quite often when you bash a team for not picking a guy that 29 other teams also passed over several times. We've all had our pet picks that went to another team and saw success. It's part of the game.

Had you phrased it "I wish the Twins had picked this guy, he's flat-out dominating" instead of taking an opportunity to slam the team in the process, it's probable that the response would have been vastly different.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Well, you're going to get that response quite often when you bash a team for not picking a guy that 29 other teams also passed over several times. We've all had our pet picks that went to another team and saw success. It's part of the game.

Had you phrased it "I wish the Twins had picked this guy, he's flat-out dominating" instead of taking an opportunity to slam the team in the process, it's probable that the response would have been vastly different.
    Are you being serious here? I mention Wittgren and say "the Twins drafted L.J. Mazzilli instead . . . "

That is "bashing" the Twins?

What is going on around here?

Blog Entries
    The exuberant defenders of all-things-Twins are pretty sensitive, seeing "bashing" and "slamming" when it isn't there. It's no wonder there are complaints about one-sidedness in infraction giving.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    The exuberant defenders of all-things-Twins are pretty sensitive, seeing "bashing" and "slamming" when it isn't there. It's no wonder there are complaints about one-sidedness in infraction giving.
    Defensive much??

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 280 Times in 146 Posts
    What can you tell us about Mazzilli? I remember them drafting him but I don't remember any details. Or we can forget this because it isn't related to the AFL, either way.

I would like to see Buxton get back on the field ASAP.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by big dog View Post
    What can you tell us about Mazzilli? I remember them drafting him but I don't remember any details. Or we can forget this because it isn't related to the AFL, either way.

I would like to see Buxton get back on the field ASAP.
    He didn't sign with the Twins and was not likely too do so. I believe he was drafted in the 4th round this year.

Buxton is back. In his first plate appearance back, he smacked a homer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 280 Times in 146 Posts
    Thanks, I had quit checking MiLB.com so I missed the Buxton HR. Very glad to hear it.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 498 Posts
    Speaking of infractions.

http://twinsdaily.com/minnesota-twin...tml#post164885

Interrupting a thread with discussion of forum moderation also constitutes thread-jacking. While you may have questions or concerns regarding moderation action, it is not appropriate to interrupt a baseball thread to address these issues. PM one of the moderators instead as we are more than willing to discuss this with you.

This policy is not an attempt to stifle conversation about moderation; its purpose is to improve baseball-related discussion and prevent thread-jacking. If you wish to publicly discuss the moderation at Twins Daily and help us improve the site, feel free to create a thread in the "Questions About the Site" forum and open a discussion.
    And...

Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Defensive much??
    Not helping, at all, brush up on the trolling section of that link.

Back to the AFL discussion in this thread, thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast