Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AFL notes

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    Good response to my post, though above I am only highlighting one of your reasonable points.

I was thinking about these guys:
    Rays pitchers 2000 Draft & later
    Pitcher >100 ERA+
    James Shields 6 of 7 years
    David Price 4 of 5 years
    Matt Moore 3 of 3 years
    Jeremy Hellickson 2 of 3 years
    Alex Cobb 2 of 3 years

But it is also true that every MLB team has struck out on their first round draft pick more than once.
    I have no idea where you were able to find or do that search. How'd you do it?

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I went to the AFL game on the 15th and it was a treat. Buxton went 2/4, Kepler had a couple of hits and got to see Meyer, May, and Achter pitch... Here was my overall impressions:

1) Buxton's got great ++ speed. His first hit was in IF single to the short... in his second at bat, he beat out a double play hit to the third baseman with runners on first and second. Both were sure outs by less gifted ball players. His homer was a no-doubter... We're all going to be very happy to watch this guy play when he makes the show.
    2) Meyer made Pro's look silly... He struck out all 3 in the first with Swing and Miss stuff and he induced weak contact to get outs in the next inning. None of the hitters really looked like they had a chance. I know it's SSS but I walked away thinking he's our best starter, right now.
    3) May was hit hard, even on his outs.

Overall, it was a great experience... there were less than 400 people there... you could sit anywhere and just absorb the game. We sat right next to the on deck circle and just soaked it all in. I can't recommend it enough... although, don't plan to eat there. Due to limited attendance, there was also limited offerings for concessions... Thinking I'll visit my inlaws more often in October going forward. The golf was great too (pre-peak season so not as highly price as it is in Nov-March)!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 69 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MC View Post
    I went to the AFL game on the 15th and it was a treat. Buxton went 2/4, Kepler had a couple of hits and got to see Meyer, May, and Achter pitch... Here was my overall impressions:

1) Buxton's got great ++ speed. His first hit was in IF single to the short... in his second at bat, he beat out a double play hit to the third baseman with runners on first and second. Both were sure outs by less gifted ball players. His homer was a no-doubter... We're all going to be very happy to watch this guy play when he makes the show.
    2) Meyer made Pro's look silly... He struck out all 3 in the first with Swing and Miss stuff and he induced weak contact to get outs in the next inning. None of the hitters really looked like they had a chance. I know it's SSS but I walked away thinking he's our best starter, right now.
    3) May was hit hard, even on his outs.

Overall, it was a great experience... there were less than 400 people there... you could sit anywhere and just absorb the game. We sat right next to the on deck circle and just soaked it all in. I can't recommend it enough... although, don't plan to eat there. Due to limited attendance, there was also limited offerings for concessions... Thinking I'll visit my inlaws more often in October going forward. The golf was great too (pre-peak season so not as highly price as it is in Nov-March)!
    Thanks for first hand account. Always enjoy reading them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 37 Posts
    Buxton 1-4 last night w/ an RBI and hit by a pitch. Also had an error. I don't really care how he does (as long as he doesn't get hurt), it won't change my opinion and it's great for him to get the experience.

Kepler 1-3 with a double, an RBI and a walk.

Meyer started, went 5 innings with 4 runs (3 earned) on 6 hits, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts. 77 pitches in 5 innings.

5 batters HBP in the game. Wildness or interesting back story?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Do I recall correctly that the AFL is traditionally known as a hitters' league, with the hitters assigned generally being higher level prospects than the pitchers? If so, then I might have hoped to see the hitters put up a little better numbers. Achter and Meyer, though, are very encouraging.
    Don't know that I had heard that previously, but it seems to make intuitive sense. By the time pitchers reach AA and striking distance of MLB, innings limits seem to be more attractive than expanded seasons. Seems like only special circumstances (like Meyer's shortened season) would put a quality advanced starting pitching prospect in the AFL.

Looking at Wikipedia, only one pitcher has won the AFL MVP award, and only 3 of the 26 players in the AFL "Hall of Fame" are starting pitchers (and none of those 3 pitched in the AFL after 1998).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Buxton hit a homerun today (3) while going 2-5.

Rosario added another hit and has posted a .277 average, thus far.

Zach Jones continued to struggle. He failed to complete one inning of work. Jones gave up 2 hits, 2 walks and 2 homeruns. He also had one strikeout.

AJ Achter pitched another perfect inning with a strikeout. He now has 7 shutout innings in the AFL.
    Last edited by Chance; 10-29-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I have no idea where you were able to find or do that search. How'd you do it?
    It was a bit tedious.
    I thought the Rays seemed to have good pitchers so I went through them.
    At Baseball-Reference.com I entered 2006 Rays. Picked the ones I remembered did well (Kazmir as a 22 YO, Shields as a 24 YO), counted their ERA+ years >100, then skipped ahead a couple of years.
    Also checked to make sure they were actually drafted by the Rays.

I may have missed one or two.
    Not saying the Rays are the best ever and everyone else sucks. I just believe they have done an excellent job in their pitcher selections.

Most teams get lucky once in a while with a late round draft pick. I think they do that more than most others.
    Last edited by Oldgoat_MN; 11-03-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah Jones is imploding in almost every appearance.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Yeah Jones is imploding in almost every appearance.
    Is this simply case of being over matched due to the AFL being hitter-rich and that he is used to A-ball talent? Dude was dominating in the FSL so one would not think it would be this bad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123