Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mauer to 1st?

Mauer to 1st?

I don't see any reason why not move Mauer to first. We are in need of a first baseman and it would surely lower his risk to injury. Then we could go about picking up a free agent like McCann or Navarro, plus about 4/5 2014 mock drafts have us picking up a solid catcher in Alex Jackson.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    It makes sense but I think they'll have Mauer stay behind the plate and catch some more. (Twins won't spend 80m or more on McCann). His durability has been frustrating these last few years but it works best for the team if he can catch.

Junior Member Rookie PSzalapski's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm assuming that you want Josmil Pinto to start at Catcher in the near term, right? Is he good enough behind the plate to play 100 games there?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I think having him at first/DH 160 games, is signficantly more valuable than 80 at catcher and 40 at 1B/DH. But I dont' think anyone is going to change anyone's mind here.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am totally on board with Mauer converting to a full-time first baseman, who would catch only in an emergency. I would expect that he could play 150+ games and hit better and probably for more power. While Mauer is a fine catcher, he isn't the freak of nature that the most durable catchers have been. He is a Hall-of-Fame hitter and moving to first is good for his long-term future as a hitter. The next blow to the head from a foul tip could cost him at least a month or might cost him the rest of his career. Something like 50% of the players disabled on the concussion list were catchers. It is undoubtedly less risk for him to be a first baseman. That the Twins have a clear vacancy at first only makes this decision easier.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    They should do the same plan as this year, the concussion was a freak injury and they kept him out for the rest of the season out of an abundance of caution.

80 games at C
    40 games at 1B
    25 games at DH

Let Pinto and Doumit catch the other 80 games.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    It makes sense but I think they'll have Mauer stay behind the plate and catch some more. (Twins won't spend 80m or more on McCann). His durability has been frustrating these last few years but it works best for the team if he can catch.
    So you're saying its best for the team having a banged up Mauer behind the plate? His offense suffers when he catches. It wears him down. Not to mention the whole concussion thing. Not to mention Pinto deserves a shot and looks very promising. Not to mention I don't want Chris Colabello at 1B.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    So you're saying its best for the team having a banged up Mauer behind the plate? His offense suffers when he catches. It wears him down. Not to mention the whole concussion thing. Not to mention Pinto deserves a shot and looks very promising. Not to mention I don't want Chris Colabello at 1B.
    He's been a better hitter as a catcher.

C - 408/481/889
    1B - 397/435/831

We need to just kill that falsehood. The Twins are best when that 800+ OPS is behind the plate and he should continue to play there primarily until Pinto or someone else can full time.

Liked 329 Times in 174 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I think having him at first/DH 160 games, is signficantly more valuable than 80 at catcher and 40 at 1B/DH. But I dont' think anyone is going to change anyone's mind here.....
    What about 80 at catcher and 80 mostly at DH with some 1st mixed in?

Gardenhire doesn't believe DH'ing is a day off. But even a man of Mauer's advancing years should be able to handle the exertion of running out two grounders and an opposite-field single, plus a walk to first, every other game between starts at catcher.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Yes, it's better for the Twins to have Mauer get as many AB as a catcher because he is one of the 10 best catchers of all time, his bat is incredible for a catcher (For his career, his OPS+ (not adjusted for position) is better than Adrian Gonzalez, Teixeira, Hamilton, HanRam etc). Moving him for Pinto is not a good idea. If Mauer isn't healthy enough to play catcher, obviously that changes things.

Twins hopefully will have more options that Colabello at first.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    The Twins are best when that 800+ OPS is behind the plate and he should continue to play there primarily until Pinto or someone else can full time.
    Or until he hits the DL, whichever comes first.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

C - 408/481/889
    1B - 397/435/831

We need to just kill that falsehood. The Twins are best when that 800+ OPS is behind the plate and he should continue to play there primarily until Pinto or someone else can full time.
    I agree that Mauer has more value at catcher -- there's no doubt. But for his health, I'd have no problem with a move to first.

And come on, there there's no falsehood to kill. Simply posting those numbers is incomplete analysis at best.

Mauer has just 232 PAs at 1B and most has often played 1B as a day off of catching (so his legs wouldn't be fresh) or coming off of injury (again, likely not at the top of his game). So, it's not surprising that his numbers are lower. Not to mention his peak season, 2009, he didn't play 1B at all. His 29 HR were all hit at catcher, skewing that slugging heavily in his favor.
    Last edited by Alex; 10-23-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I agree that Mauer has more value at catcher -- there's no doubt. But for his health, I'd have no problem with a move to first.

And come on, there there's no falsehood to kill. Simply posting those numbers is incomplete analysis at best.

Mauer has just 232 PAs at 1B and most has often played 1B as a day off of catching (so his legs wouldn't be fresh) or coming off of injury. So, it's not surprising that his numbers are lower. Not to mention his peak season, 2009, he didn't play 1B at all. His 29 HR were all hit at catcher, skewing that slugging heavily in his favor.
    Please provide some evidence that he is a better hitter when he's not catching. The stats don't back that claim. Until they do, it's a false claim. This isn't a matter of opinion or excuses....stats tell the story.

As for the DL, the day may come to protect him but you can't ever completely do it. The only certain thing is that you dramatically reduce his value to the team.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Please provide some evidence that he is a better hitter when he's not catching. The stats don't back that claim. Until they do, it's a false claim.
    If you think throwing up those two statlines (one of which involves less than 300 PAs) is sufficient evidence that he'd be a better hitter at catcher, that's fine. To me, because I realize the context that those at-bats came, they mean pretty much next to nothing, especially in terms of future predictability. If he gets 500 PAs at 1B in the next season (2014) and then returns to catching after that and hits better (2015) I could be convinced.

Or, have there been a lot of studies that show players hit differently moving positions? If there are, I haven't read any.

To your question, I'm not convinced he WILL be a better hitter at 1B, but I can't imagine he'd be worse. It's also tough to compare as he'll be a year older (unless something similar to what I suggested happens above).

Back to DL---no, you can't protect him completely, but if he catches, he will get more foul balls off the facemask, which led to concussions for several catchers last season, and the next time it happens is likely to be more severe. Did first baseman last season have more concussions? If so, I'd agree that we should keep him at catcher. At some point, especially in terms of brain injuries, I think there's more responsibility involved than simply what value he provides. If that does nothing for you, then consider that the next foul ball of his mask could end his career and then you get very little value after that.

Finally, if the Twins are headed to 90 losses again next season, there's really no point, in my opinion, to him catching at all.
    Last edited by Alex; 10-23-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll say what I've said before, moving him to first permanently is foolish. His value as a catcher is far greater than his value as a 1B. I don't have a problem playing him at both positions in order to get him in more and keep him from wearing down as much, but he should be playing catcher until he can no longer do it. He isn't there yet.

C - 408/481/889
    1B - 397/435/831

Three words: Small sample size. So lets put that to rest. Remind me what his numbers are when he's not playing. I want him in the lineup for 162 games. 1st base is the least physically demanding position. He needs to play EVERYDAY. This team needs offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    If you think throwing up those two statlines (one of which involves less than 300 PAs) is sufficient evidence that he'd be a better hitter at catcher, that's fine. To me, because I realize the context that those at-bats came, they mean pretty much next to nothing, especially in terms of future predictability. If he gets 500 PAs at 1B in the next season (2014) and then returns to catching after that and hits better (2015) I could be convinced.
    This isn't a "convincing" matter. The claim was that he hits better when he's not catching. Other than his injury shortened 2011, that has never been true even in individual seasons. So it's both not true over his career and it's not true even in isolated seasons.

Again, I'll repeat:There is zero evidence that shows he is a better hitter when he's not catching. Zero. So you can't make that claim.

As for next year - I'm fine resting him more in bad seasons, but I don't "move" him anywhere at this point.

Three words: Small sample size. So lets put that to rest. Remind me what his numbers are when he's not playing. I want him in the lineup for 162 games. 1st base is the least physically demanding position. He needs to play EVERYDAY. This team needs offense.
    You claimed he's a better hitter when he's not catching. There is no truth in that statement. You can claim small sample size until you're blue in the face, but you made a very definitive statement that is not supported by the stats.

If it was true you'd have a persuasive argument for moving him. But it's not true - so find a better argument and drop that one.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    What is better, Mauer at first and pinto at catcher, or Mauer catching and random guy from the system playing first? What is better, more at bats from Mauer, or less at bats from Mauer? Who gets hurt more, first basemen or catchers? Is Mauer more or less likely to play longer if he moves off catcher sooner, or later?
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 1,064 Times in 476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    What about 80 at catcher and 80 mostly at DH with some 1st mixed in?

Gardenhire doesn't believe DH'ing is a day off. But even a man of Mauer's advancing years should be able to handle the exertion of running out two grounders and an opposite-field single, plus a walk to first, every other game between starts at catcher.
    The next time Mauer appears in 160 games in a season will be the first.

He doesn't even have a 150 game season under his belt. He's gotten 600 PAs in a season 4 times.

If he catches 80 games, he won't get into 80 more no matter the position.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast