Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: A Phillys Fan's Opinion of Plouffe

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries

A Phillys Fan's Opinion of Plouffe

phillies110221 hours ago

I remember the Ben Revere deal, I also suggested Phillies should have also attempted to acquire Plouffe. We might've needed to add on Asche (who would have been blocked anyways) and Lindblom or Bonnilla (who we dealt for M Young ), which would not have been a steep price considering the ability of Plouffe, and his massive amount of team control. Fastfoward a year, instead of worrying about lineup balance and uncertainty with Asche entering 2014, we could have had a fairly safe bet in Plouffe, who has had a powerful year in back to back seasons.
    A solid run producer who would be quite the RH 7 hole hitter (which requires less OBP and more SLG) and an average defender, I think acquiring Plouffe would have been smart. However, the option remains to acquire him, dealing Asche and a pitching arm for him, and use him a 3B for a year before smoothly transitioning to a new position (as he has in the past), making way for Franco.

This is a comment posted on mlbtraderumors.

Cody Asche's statistics.
    Cody Asche Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Would have been interesting if the Twins (and Philly) granted this fan his wish. I would prefer the arm thrown in with Asche but that's just me.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,281 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seems to me that by hanging on to Asche the Phils already have essentially what Plouffe can bring, with perhaps some additional upside due to youth.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's exactly what I was thinking while looking over his minor league stats. He has limited MLB experience so he could end up much better than Plouffe by the time he his 26 or 27. I really thought it was funny that they would give up that potential for Plouffe.