Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: BP: Alex Meyer Video

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

BP: Alex Meyer Video

Alex Meyer, RHP, Minnesota Twins (Arizona Fall League) ? October 18, 2013 on Vimeo

Gotta be honest, this is pretty impressive.

FB - 97-99.
    CU - 86-89
    SL - 84-87

Kept the ball down well, which is impressive for a man of his height.

And that slider is unreal!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    opening day starter for MLB or AAA?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    AAA or AA for a few starts.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    opening day starter for MLB or AAA?
    He without a doubt starts in the minors. Just because he is better than several of the MLB starters doesn't mean he should be on the opening day roster. Prospect promotions shouldn't be dictated/rushed because of the MLB roster.

These videos match with the rave reviews that Meyer has gotten all season. It just comes down to health and control but he's that potential front of the rotation arm that the Twins are looking for.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Man, I am so ready for a top of the rotation guy showing up in a Twins uniform.

Certainly am pulling for Alex.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Meyer, Sano & Rosario are guys the team should play the service time game with and hopefully all are in the 2014 lineup before the all-star break. But opening day 2015:

Meyer pitching
    Sano
    Rosario
    Arcia
    Buxton
    Mauer

Those are guys a fan base can get excited about....we just got to get through 2014....

I love the movement on his fastball, and that he wasn't just sitting middle away all the time just like every other pitcher the Twins have used over the last 5 years. Between Meyer, Stewart, and Thorpe I am am really excited about the future of the rotation.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to admit my favorite thing about this video is his mound presence. His body language tells you he expects to dominate once he's on the bump. He will also rear back and come right after the hitters. Was nice to see him incorporate his change-up more in the latter half of the outing. If he can develop that pitch more look out.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He was highly impressive, still a little wild in the zone, as evidenced by the couple of hits he gave up. Looked like he was squeezed a little on the outside corner on the walk. The one thing I would have liked to have seen was the slider in the dirt. He threw it for strikes which isn't bad for a get me over, and he kept it in the lower half of the strike zone but can get a lot more swings and misses if he throws some dirty ones.

Not to be negative Nancy at all, but he was a little wild (effectively wild when you throw that hard sometimes) and it would be nice to see his change-up slow down a few more ticks. Other than that, can't wait for him to get to the show. I realize not everyone can be Johan when it comes to vast difference between fastball and change-up, but it'd be nice if the gap was a bit bigger.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Not to be negative Nancy at all, but he was a little wild (effectively wild when you throw that hard sometimes) and it would be nice to see his change-up slow down a few more ticks. Other than that, can't wait for him to get to the show. I realize not everyone can be Johan when it comes to vast difference between fastball and change-up, but it'd be nice if the gap was a bit bigger.
    he does have a 10mph difference so i think that is adequate. I think it's also less of a concern when the CU is almost as fast as the rest of the Twins starters' fastballs.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is good stuff. Very impressing command on the FB and very effortless 97-98. There is probably more gas there potentially. It is low in the zone partially because his arm angle is low. Almost sidearm, below 3/4s. His change is his most improved pitch it looks. Really did not add up to much last season and now it is a very workable pitch.

One thing about Meyer that this video does not show (because the time between pitches was shortened.) He takes his sweet time between pitches. I hope that has changed and he started to work in a faster pace. This video from 2012 shows how much time he takes between pitches (and how much rawer his change was)...

I hope he makes the Twins' rotation sooner than later, because the likes of Correia/Diamond/Deduno should not be blocking him...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    What does the fastball of the rest of the staff have to do with his CU? I'm glad you think that is adequate, I'm sure he is now satisfied as well. There was absolutely nothing about my post that was even remotely debatable. I simply stated, it would be nice to have a little larger difference in speeds, the rest of the staff has nothing to do with Meyer, unless you are one of those guys that think 5 Verlander's in one rotation would suck, because opposing teams would see the same pitcher every game of a series.
    He was making a joke about the lack of heat on the Twins' fastballs. Yes what you said wasn't controversial, but he was stating the difference between the FB and CU is good enough.

Senior Member All-Star
    What does the fastball of the rest of the staff have to do with his CU? I'm glad you think that is adequate, I'm sure he is now satisfied as well. There was absolutely nothing about my post that was even remotely debatable. I simply stated, it would be nice to have a little larger difference in speeds, the rest of the staff has nothing to do with Meyer, unless you are one of those guys that think 5 Verlander's in one rotation would suck, because opposing teams would see the same pitcher every game of a series.
    I was making a joke.

Additionally you don't need as big of a velocity difference when you are bringing a 95-100mph fastball. There is very little time to adjust with pitches that fast.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Thanks for posting that Seth. He's a big dude. I went to ST last year and couldn't believe how tall all those pitchers they had down there. If nothing else, they'll win a lot of pick-up BB games.

It sure was nice seeing him hit 97-98 so (seemingly) effortlessly. His slider worked pretty well off of that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    No JUGS readings from the game, but it looks like Meyer had another good (not great) outing. He went 4.1 innings, giving up 3 singles, a walk and a hit batter while striking out 3. Only 1 person reached 2nd base, and that was with 2 outs.

The only caveat is that it took him 70 pitches, and if you look at the (somewhat unreliable) Gameday pitch location he was really wild. I looks like if he can refine his command he has Ace potential, which is something I don't think we even said about Santana (who looked really good, but not Ace-like before he was recalled from AAA with that nasty changeup, IIRC).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    No JUGS readings from the game, but it looks like Meyer had another good (not great) outing. He went 4.1 innings, giving up 3 singles, a walk and a hit batter while striking out 3. Only 1 person reached 2nd base, and that was with 2 outs.

The only caveat is that it took him 70 pitches, and if you look at the (somewhat unreliable) Gameday pitch location he was really wild. I looks like if he can refine his command he has Ace potential, which is something I don't think we even said about Santana (who looked really good, but not Ace-like before he was recalled from AAA with that nasty changeup, IIRC).
    I watched online also. The first two innings were really bothering me. There were a lot of first pitch balls and I think he was over 40 pitches in those two innings. The first pitch balls surely led to the lower SO numbers because he could not be aggressive and bring SO pitches. Again...I am watching this on a computer screen so please keep that in mind. The fact that he ended up at 70 when the first two innings went that way is a positive because he settled down. A 1B pickoff did hurt either. I hope his control is solid by spring. It would be nice to see him for most of 2014 and that won't happen if he is throwing 20 pitches an inning.