Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Twins add Paul Molitor to the major league staff!

Liked 335 Times in 176 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Hocking View Post
    Regarding age -- 55 is the new 35 -- at least that is what I tell myself...
    Molitor has apparently told his second wife the same thing...

Here's a link to a revealing article about Molitor, and it offers some credible speculation about the possibility that poor judgement in his personal life is at least partly to blame for diverting him from what appeared to be a potential fast track to managing in MLB.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A little web searching reveals that renowned bad boy Aaron Gleeman posted this quip in 2006:

Is Paul Molitor's wife really named Destini Molitor? That's almost as good as Boof Bonser.
    My own take is that perhaps her parents had one tee many Destoonis when they named her.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 10-23-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Molitor has apparently told his second wife the same thing...

Here's a link to a revealing article about Molitor, and it offers some credible speculation about the possibility that poor judgement in his personal life is at least partly to blame for diverting him from what appeared to be a potential fast track to managing in MLB.
    It might be interesting if you could juxtapose this snapshot of Desiree and Paul with one of that "younger couple", Carol and Ron.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Twins attendance 1990: 1.752M
    Twins sign Jack Morris
    Twins attendance 1991: 2.294M (31% increase in overall attendance).

Twins attendance 1995: 1.058M (72 games)
    Twins sign Paul Molitor
    Twins attendance 1996: 1.437M (81 games) (21% increase in per/game attendance.)
    1991? Really? Please tell me you don't actually believe that the spike in attendance in 91 was because people really wanted to see the Minnesota native Jack Morris pitch.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looking at Molitor and Gardenhire, it's hard to believe that they are the same age.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 135 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Overall, I like the addition of Molitor. He was a talent that became a great ballplayer and sustained his performance well into his 40s due to a great baseball IQ, probably combined with good health. Molitor really knows baseball and he's very articulate.

Certainly, it would make sense to add an Hispanic coach, especially with young talents such as Arcia, Rosario and Sano already here or on the way soon. It's probably equally as important to add a voice from outside the organization who signifies that it won't be "business as usual" going forward. I hope that hiring comes next, but adding someone like Molitor probably shouldn't be delayed.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    1991? Really? Please tell me you don't actually believe that the spike in attendance in 91 was because people really wanted to see the Minnesota native Jack Morris pitch.
    Where was it I said that? Merely quoted facts

Mikewantswins stated it accurately. The big increase in attendance almost always occurs the year after a successful season (like a World Series win). The Jack Morris offseason signing after '90 can debatedly be argued to have spurred offseason buzz and interest and generated some increased season-ticket activity and advance ticket sales- but certainly not the bulk of the 31% increase-never claimed any particular number on my part- just refuted an unsupported blanket statement to the contrary.

But it's important to consider, that when you strike gold like McPhail did on a Home-town Hero riding to the rescue and leading you to the pennant, there're plenty of feel-good bandwagon-jumpers more apt to ride that Meme and make a walk-up ticket purchase.
    Last edited by jokin; 10-24-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 625 Times in 242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Or you could view it as "they added a Hall of Fame player who is one of the smartest hitters of the last generation and is widely respected throughout the league".

Really, I don't see how anyone can complain about this move. Every time I hear Molitor talk about baseball, I leave impressed.

Yeah, it'd be nice to add a Spanish-speaking coach as well but this is Paul Molitor, for Christ's sake. If that guy's available, you hire him. Period.
    I was going to give you a like for this post, but you already have enough of them. So...

I concur.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Liked 53 Times in 37 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    I don't think hiring Molitor is bad business. I like the move.
    Doesn't mean I don't see value in having a Latin American coach as well.

I suspect a team is allowed to hire as many coaches as they want, but I believe there is a limit on how many can be in the dugout during a game.

Does anyone have info on this?
    I read that MLB added a bench coach spot to the rule book (up to 8 I think) that the twins never filled

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    I read that MLB added a bench coach spot to the rule book (up to 8 I think) that the twins never filled
    I think MLB approved it before last season, but neede it to be approved by the MLBPA. It was enacted in April sometime and the Twins waited until after the season to add the extra guy.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456