Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins add Paul Molitor to the major league staff!

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    Bobby Cuellar is of Mexican descent and speaks Spanish. I agree that Latino coaches are underrepresented when compared to Latino players but the Twins aren't completely ignoring it.
    Cueller was born and raised in Texas and went to the U of Texas about as american as you can get. This is just my opinion but speaking spanish doesn't mean you can relate to players from Latin America and help mentor them. Of course it doesn't mean he doesn't help either.

However, I think that an ex latin player that could relate to coming to a new country, new language and having suceeded at making that transition would be helpful.

A question I'll ask is do the Twins have anyone in the dugout during the games that speaks fluent spanish?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Good move. It helps fill the gaping leadership and accountability void by coaches and more importantly at this point and with this roster: players.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Okay, there's something I don't quite understand. Last year about this time, the Twins made their coach shuffle. At that time Terry Ryan said that Paul Molitor was "not a good fit" to be added as a coach. What has changed since that statement? I'd like someone to pursue that questioning of Ryan. I like the move, but I also agree with the many voices that say get rid of Ullger (he adds nothing at this point) and bring in an Hispanic coach.
    Last edited by ScottyB; 10-22-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Okay, there's something I don't quite understand. Last year about this time, the Twins made their coach shuffle. At that time Terry Ryan said that Paul Molitor was "not a good fit" to be added as a coach. What has changed since that statement? I'd like someone to pursue that questioning of Ryan. I like the move, but I also agree with the many voices that say get rid of Ullger (he adds nothing at this point) and bring in an Hispanic coach.
    I believe it was LENIII at the time who said that Molitor wasn't a good fit because the Twins felt that having him on the staff would threaten Gardenhire's authority.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Nice to see you taking the high road for a change. I'm sure all that cocaine Molly did in the late '70's is what stamped his ticket to the Hall.
    Replace "cocaine" with "cream and clear" and "Molly" with "Bonds" and let me know how you feel.

Same story. Different drugs.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Semantics here, but I believe Ryan said that Molitor on the coaching staff "wasn't the right fit" or something like that. That isn't saying the same thing as he wasn't fit to be on the staff.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Cueller was born and raised in Texas and went to the U of Texas about as american as you can get. This is just my opinion but speaking spanish doesn't mean you can relate to players from Latin America and help mentor them. Of course it doesn't mean he doesn't help either.

However, I think that an ex latin player that could relate to coming to a new country, new language and having suceeded at making that transition would be helpful.

A question I'll ask is do the Twins have anyone in the dugout during the games that speaks fluent spanish?
    Now that Wilken has been DFAed--Colabello.

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    On the "fit" question, I suppose it could be argued that they didn't want a "manager in waiting" when Gardenhire was on the last year of his contract.

Perhaps now that Gardenhire is back on a 2-year agreement, they don't see it as the same issue.

Just speculating.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Replace "cocaine" with "cream and clear" and "Molly" with "Bonds" and let me know how you feel.

Cocaine adds strength and helps helps the body rapidly recover? I got to see that study.

I too am curious why Molitor is suddenly a fit. I like the move but am also frustrated they dipped back into the old boys club. It just strengthens the notion that Ryan refuses to leave his comfort zone.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    thrylos, you've taken another cheap shot
    Moderator's note: we can discuss even controversial topics without taking (ahem) shots at each others' character. It's one thing to rebut an argument by describing it as a cheap shot; but trying to link it to past discussions ("another") becomes more about the other poster than about the discussion. Avoid that, please.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,281 Times in 685 Posts

Sure, whatever you say, the similarities in their early and late careers due to their drug use is remarkable, so are their statistical comparisons.

molly1.jpg molly2.jpg

barry.jpg

Liked 132 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    On the "fit" question, I suppose it could be argued that they didn't want a "manager in waiting" when Gardenhire was on the last year of his contract.

Perhaps now that Gardenhire is back on a 2-year agreement, they don't see it as the same issue.

Just speculating.
    This is exactly what I thought of when the question was asked. Now that Gardy doesn't have to worry about his contract, adding someone that would be a potential next manger shouldn't be as threatening.

The two year Gardy allows Molitor to get some experience, Gardy to get his 1000th win with the Twins, and potentially allows Gardy to announce that he will retire after 2015 and do a farewell tour, where he can take on a role with the org like TK did. Molitor can then take over as the next manager.

This is all speculation, but I could easily see this happening.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Bobby Cuellar is sitting in the bullpen during the games, so the only effect he can have is during practices, during ST and for the bullpen...
    They can pick up the phone and call him....

Seriously though, the other players can translate in-game. He's most needed during practice and in the clubhouse.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Infield positioning eh? Will be curious to see if they do more shifting.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Pedro Florimon speaks fluent Spanish. Pretty much all the Latino players do.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    It's hard not to read Molitor being on the staff (whatever his designation might be) as a manager in waiting whether that's next year, in two, or somewhere down the line. I wonder if Gardy could retire in the next couple years, ala TK, and that's already been communicated. Wasn't Gardy just one year short of his retirement vesting or something like that?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries

Same story? Really?

Cocaine, while technically a "performance enhancer", is mainly used as a recreational party drug. Molitor was a young player who did stupid crap. It happens. He later showed contrition and spent effort in advocating against the drug in his later years.

Yeah, that's exactly like Bonds. A guy who used a drug whose sole purpose is performance enhancement late in his career because he didn't like the fact that other people were also cheating.

Besides, if Barry Bonds wasn't such a jackass, I'd also advocate that he be hired as a coach. The dude could flat-out rake and has a hell of a baseball mind.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    It's hard not to read Molitor being on the staff (whatever his designation might be) as a manager in waiting whether that's next year, in two, or somewhere down the line. I wonder if Gardy could retire in the next couple years, ala TK, and that's already been communicated. Wasn't Gardy just one year short of his retirement vesting or something like that?
    I agree -- we now know who the next manager will be. We just don't know when. It really is an interesting dynamic. I've never heard a shred of evidence that Gardenhire wants to leave this job and I wouldn't say Molitor is a member of the "boys club" because if he was, Gardy would have recommended him for a bench coach job by now. My guess is the Molitor hire was directed from the upper reaches of ownership and is a clear signal that the clock is ticking on the status quo.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    Pedro Florimon speaks fluent Spanish. Pretty much all the Latino players do.
    Add Arcia(Venezuelan), Pinto(Venezuelan), Escobar(Venezuelan), Deduno (Domincan), and, if on the roster next year, Hernandez (Venezuelan) to the mix.

Colabello also is fluent in Italian and Spanish.

That's...6..7..players who speak Spanish.

But, I'm still on board with another Spanish speaking coach in the dugout. Couldn't hurt.

And even better, if it he was a Latin legend, a HOFer, great character, and a counseling type of coach.
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 10-22-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast