Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Chance Dozier Replaces ... Valencia?

Liked 105 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries

Any Chance Dozier Replaces ... Valencia?

When the Twins signed Carroll, Ryan made a point of saying that Carroll can play third base. As I watched Valencia pop out on a first pitch that looked high and outside, I thought to myself "I wonder if the Twins would think about calling up Dozier to play shortstop and move Carroll to third base?"

Just had a thought I'd run past people. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Dozier was hitting better, maybe... but Valencia's been hitting better of late. Had a couple of big hits in New York. He'll be fine.

Liked 105 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    If Dozier was hitting better, maybe... but Valencia's been hitting better of late. Had a couple of big hits in New York. He'll be fine.
    Oh, I don't think it would happen now. I'm thinking maybe end of May or beginning of June.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
    And the club seems pretty thrilled with Carroll's glove at short. Besides if the time frame is end of May or June, an opening will surely arise in the infield due to injury. Carroll is 38 and Casilla is already playing on borrowed time.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really don't think Carroll will move from SS that's obviously where he is meant to be, don't mess with what's working. Plus he doesn't have the strongest arm for 3rd.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    I am starting to think I would rather have him come up and replace Lexi. He can really make some bad plays.
    1) Ugliest bunt of the season tonight.
    2) Throw from doumit bounces off his glove into center field
    3) error at second leads to run in the 6th, next play he doesn't get to first to cover on a bunt?

Gardy used to play second, this has to drive him nuts.

Liked 659 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asmus_ndsu View Post
    I really don't think Carroll will move from SS that's obviously where he is meant to be, don't mess with what's working. Plus he doesn't have the strongest arm for 3rd.
    If you factor in range plays to the right and the typical deeper position played by SS. I believe you need a stronger arm for short.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    When the Twins signed Carroll, Ryan made a point of saying that Carroll can play third base. As I watched Valencia pop out on a first pitch that looked high and outside, I thought to myself "I wonder if the Twins would think about calling up Dozier to play shortstop and move Carroll to third base?"

Just had a thought I'd run past people. I'm not sure how I feel about it.
    John, if you were to replace Valencia as the 3rd baseman, I'd be damn happy.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like what Carroll brings at SS. But I've never been sold on Casilla as the long-term answer at 2B, and I'm becoming less convinced that Valencia is at 3B with each game.

I'd like to see Dozier at some point this season, but in the meantime, I wouldn't mind seeing more Plouffe and even Burroughs in the infield.

Maybe they wouldn't be more effective overall, but they'd be less frustrating. Valencia and Casilla are maddeningly inconsistent, and prone to doing really dumb things at times. I was pretty underwhelmed when the Twins signed Carroll, but I'm strarting to appreciate his ability to keep it simple and consistently make the right play.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think if Valencia gets bumped, they'll give Burroughs a shot first. The other day when he started he looked pretty good in the field

Liked 1,031 Times in 468 Posts
    If the concern is "what's possibly best for 2012," maybe you consider bringing Dozier in for SS and moving Carroll to 3b. Maybe. IMO though, if 2012 is your only concern, you'd be better off moving Carroll to 2b, and getting Casilla out of the everyday lineup rather than Valencia. It's possible Burroughs is even a better answer at 3b against RH pitching, if we're only worried about 2012.

But if the concern is "what's best for 2013 and beyond," Carroll isn't an answer to anything, particularly 3b. I'd rather give Valencia another chance to prove he is or isn't going to be the everyday third baseman.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 86 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Valencia is an average third baseman. He hit surprisingly well in 2010, not so much last year. He's got some power, which the team sorely lacks. To give up on him because he has a few bad at bats is silly, I think. He actually hit well in late innings with the game on the line last year. What could be inexcusable is for him to lose his focus, as I believe he did when the Twins were in their doldrums. I don't think Valencia's defense is bad--but I don't think it is above average either. Having Burroughs available to give him some days off, particularly against tough righthanders, is fine. I don't think Burroughs or Carroll are guys that move Danny off third base. That guy might be in Beloit this year.

Blog Entries
    If Mark Trumbo can play 3B... sort of, why not see if Parmelee can? Maybe we can trade Valencia for 1920-30-ish Pie Traynor? All of this is realistic, right? Maybe we can wait 2-3 years for Sano.

Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I didn't think Dozier's defense would play well at 3B.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    If Mark Trumbo can play 3B... sort of, why not see if Parmelee can? Maybe we can trade Valencia for 1920-30-ish Pie Traynor? All of this is realistic, right? Maybe we can wait 2-3 years for Sano.
    Was Mattingly the last left handed thrower to make a play from 3b?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Was Mattingly the last left handed thrower to make a play from 3b?
    No, that was 2nd base, but point taken. Our 3B situation is sort of a bummer.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    in a word, no.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. A.B. Walker (OF-A) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11. Max Kepler (OF-A) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, P Ryan Eades.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    I am starting to think I would rather have him come up and replace Lexi. He can really make some bad plays.
    1) Ugliest bunt of the season tonight.
    2) Throw from doumit bounces off his glove into center field
    3) error at second leads to run in the 6th, next play he doesn't get to first to cover on a bunt?

Gardy used to play second, this has to drive him nuts.
    In defense of Casilla on the bunt, he couldn't have gotten to first any faster. Hendricks should have lead him, and I'm sure they will have the pitchers and Casilla work on the play before the game today.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Maybe we could occasionally play Hughes at 3rd - that would push Valencia! Oops

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Scott Miller of CBSSports.com reports the Padres are prepared to release Orlando Hudson if he ''doesn't turn things around soon.''

If true, the Padres would be forced to eat the remainder of Hudson's $5.5 million contract this year and a $2 million buyout option in 2013. Miller notes that Hudson's tenure could ''coincide with the return of Logan Forsythe,'' who underwent ankle surgery in March. Hudson, 34, is hitting just .156/.191/.200 with one stolen base in 47 plate appearances this season.
    Related: Logan Forsythe

Source: CBSSports.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast