Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When Will the Twins Retire Radke's Number?

Liked 1,067 Times in 477 Posts
    I'm opposed to retiring Radke's number. At least until I'm convinced he couldn't still crack the current team's rotation.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    Random tidbit since we're talking about him. Bronson Arroyo is basically a poor man's Brad Radke. And he makes 10 million+ a year. Sure contracts aren't a good metric, but it's something to consider. Especially because Arroyo earns that money.
    I don't understand the argument. Arroyo will not and should not be considered for number retirement. Ever. Radke got exactly two HOF votes. He is not an all time great player.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 10-20-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I'm opposed to retiring Radke's number. At least until I'm convinced he couldn't still crack the current team's rotation.
    Yeah...I would not doubt it.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Radke was a great pitcher for the Twins. Blyleven and Kaat were great pitchers for the Twins and handful of other franchises. Maybe if his shoulder had not disintegrated at age 33 and he were able to pitch another seven years...
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Maybe if his shoulder had not disintegrated at age 33 and he were able to pitch another seven years...
    He didn't seem to need that shoulder to keep pitching. What he was able to do that final year was amazing, considering he probably couldn't even comb his hair without pain meds.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I don't think that Radke's number will be retired, nor should it be.

Other that Oliva, Hrbek, and TK, all of the Retired Numbers are HOF'ers. Many believe that Oliva should be there as well and if his career wouldn't have been shortened by injury he would've been.

TK is the all time winningest Twins' Manager and led the club to 2 WS Titles.

The only real questionable retiree it Hrbek. Even though he is 2nd All Time for HR and RBI as a Twin, he really had his number retired for being a hometown boy and playing his entire career in Minnesota.

Radke's the one who started this whole pitch-to-contact disaster. I propose a Radke jersey burning ceremony to lift the curse.

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Radke was a great pitcher for the Twins. Blyleven and Kaat were great pitchers for the Twins and handful of other franchises. Maybe if his shoulder had not disintegrated at age 33 and he were able to pitch another seven years...
    Im still puzzled why he elected rehab over surgery when the injury occurred during the 2005 season. Could have used a healthy radke in the playoffs.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I don't understand the argument. Arroyo will not and should not be considered for number retirement. Ever. Radke got exactly two HOF votes. He is not an all time great player.
    Radke is just about twice the player Arroyo is if we go by WAR, but their peripherals are sort of similar and they make a good comparison. Arroyo wasn't a career Red, Pirate, or Red Sox so there isn't a team that would really be best retiring it anyway. HOWEVER! Arroyo is a very good pitcher and one of the most underappreciated (at least not monetarily) in the MLB. Right now, Arroyo is the best at the "control game" method of pitching and that Radke was much better than that is cool I guess. My argument is that Radke was a borderline elite pitcher (never an ace) who spent his entire career as a Twin. In my book, the standards for number retiring don't start with HOF. It's these types of players that should also make the cut. Besides Puckett and Killer (not technically, but basically), there isn't one HOF Twin that spent all their seasons here. A career of very good, borderline elite to me is pretty close value to a HOF with a majority of time in Minnesota.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    Radke is just about twice the player Arroyo is if we go by WAR, but their peripherals are sort of similar and they make a good comparison. Arroyo wasn't a career Red, Pirate, or Red Sox so there isn't a team that would really be best retiring it anyway. HOWEVER! Arroyo is a very good pitcher and one of the most underappreciated (at least not monetarily) in the MLB. Right now, Arroyo is the best at the "control game" method of pitching and that Radke was much better than that is cool I guess. My argument is that Radke was a borderline elite pitcher (never an ace) who spent his entire career as a Twin. In my book, the standards for number retiring don't start with HOF. It's these types of players that should also make the cut. Besides Puckett and Killer (not technically, but basically), there isn't one HOF Twin that spent all their seasons here. A career of very good, borderline elite to me is pretty close value to a HOF with a majority of time in Minnesota.
    I disagree. That is what the Team's HOF is for, to acknowledge players that performed exceptionally well while playing for them.

A retired # should be a rare event and other than for special circumstances MLB HOF status should be required to have your number considered for retirement. After all there are only a limited quantity of numbers available (around 100) and 30+ are required to for the team and staff.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    The Astros have retired nine numbers. I remeber going to a game, which was before Bagwell and Biggio had retired and thinking it was kind of embarassing that the Astros had six numbers retired and only Nolan Ryan was anything close to an all time great.

Similarly aged franchises like the Royals and Mets have only retired three numbers, the Brewers only four, the Rangers one. Wade Boggs and pre-steroid Roger Clemens haven't even gotten their numbers retired by the Red Sox.

Radke wasn't elite, he was never close to elite, he was just very good. I'd be embarassed if we as Twins fans retired his number, basically telling the rest of the baseball world, "This is the best we've contributed to our sport."

I think the notion that he spent his entire career with one club isn't a very good qualifyer for this distinction. After all, it's not their fault that Kaat, Perry, Viola and Santana got traded. They were all better players and if Radke got his number retired, it would mean the Twins would need to retire about a dozen more that are better than him.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 10-21-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts

I think its a conspiracy

After trying so hard to make a Radke clone out of all the soft tossing control pitchers they have drafted and aquired, once one finally succeeds they want to be able to slap a Radke jersey on him and "say see hes back, Terry Ryan/ Rick Anderson know what they are doing."
    Last edited by zchrz; 10-21-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    During their tenures as Twins, Radke and Blyleven had similar W/L records (Blyleven had 1 more win and Radke 1 more Loss). They also pitched similar innings (Bert had 100 more IP). But Radke's ERA was almost 1 run higher and Bert had about 600 more K's.

To be honest, while I enjoyed watch Radke pitch, he was basically a league average pitcher.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    During their tenures as Twins, Radke and Blyleven had similar W/L records (Blyleven had 1 more win and Radke 1 more Loss). They also pitched similar innings (Bert had 100 more IP). But Radke's ERA was almost 1 run higher and Bert had about 600 more K's.

To be honest, while I enjoyed watch Radke pitch, he was basically a league average pitcher.
    In fairness, they pitched in two different eras. Bert's ERA+ as a Twins was 118, Radke's was 113 and Radke pitched in the steroid era. Not saying Radke was as good as Bert, but a 113 ERA+ for a career is a bit better than league average. Jack Morris only had an ERA+ of 105.
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 607 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    In fairness, they pitched in two different eras. Bert's ERA+ as a Twins was 118, Radke's was 113 and Radke pitched in the steroid era. Not saying Radke was as good as Bert, but a 113 ERA+ for a career is a bit better than league average. Jack Morris only had an ERA+ of 105.
    And for the cybermetricians in the house, 2 WAR would be an "average" starter. Radke eclipsed that mark nearly every season, while averaging a little better than 3.5 per season for his career.

He certainly wasn't "basically a league average pitcher."
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    The Astros have retired nine numbers. I remeber going to a game, which was before Bagwell and Biggio had retired and thinking it was kind of embarassing that the Astros had six numbers retired and only Nolan Ryan was anything close to an all time great.

Similarly aged franchises like the Royals and Mets have only retired three numbers, the Brewers only four, the Rangers one. Wade Boggs and pre-steroid Roger Clemens haven't even gotten their numbers retired by the Red Sox.

Radke wasn't elite, he was never close to elite, he was just very good. I'd be embarassed if we as Twins fans retired his number, basically telling the rest of the baseball world, "This is the best we've contributed to our sport."

I think the notion that he spent his entire career with one club isn't a very good qualifyer for this distinction. After all, it's not their fault that Kaat, Perry, Viola and Santana got traded. They were all better players and if Radke got his number retired, it would mean the Twins would need to retire about a dozen more that are better than him.
    About a dozen more when he's #6 in Twins WAR?

Liked 113 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think a Radke was a great pitcher - not HOF level, but great. But retired numbers for this franchise have, with the exception of hometown Hrbek, been HOF-caliber players. Radke isn't that.

But anyone who is one of the top 5 or 10 pitchers all-time for a 50 year franchise gets to be recognized as "great."

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Radke belongs in the Twins Hall of Fame without question. No more, no less. Please let's stop being slaves to WAR. It is one measure, but I don't think it is the be-all or end-all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123