Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When Will the Twins Retire Radke's Number?

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

When Will the Twins Retire Radke's Number?

He's got the credentials, he pitched his entire career here, and is the epitome of a Twins pitcher. #6 in career WAR as a Twin, NINE 200+IP seasons (4 220+), spent 12 excellent years in Minnesota, and is just a good guy. Tony Oliva and Kent Hrbek have had their numbers retired and I don't think either were as big as contributors over their careers. Both were very good, however, let's not get into that. Since #22 has been disgraced by the likes of Danny Valencia, Matt Carson, and Wilkin Ramirez most recently, can we do it a little justice?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    He's got the credentials, he pitched his entire career here, and is the epitome of a Twins pitcher. #6 in career WAR as a Twin, NINE 200+IP seasons (4 220+), spent 12 excellent years in Minnesota, and is just a good guy. Tony Oliva and Kent Hrbek have had their numbers retired and I don't think either were as big as contributors over their careers. Both were very good, however, let's not get into that. Since #22 has been disgraced by the likes of Danny Valencia, Matt Carson, and Wilkin Ramirez most recently, can we do it a little justice?
    The only thing I agree with.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They retired Bert's number only after he was admitted to the Hall of Fame. That is what it will take for Radke. I.e. the number will not be retired.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Radke wasn't special and such an accolade would be woefully wrong.

when? when the attendance falls through the roof at Target Field and need a promotion to rally around.

but really, Radke is a good representative for the Twins and a great player and is the Twins Hall of Fame and thats good by me. His number gets retired if he goes to Cooperstown.

The next number the Twins will retire is 7.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephrin View Post
    The next number the Twins will retire is 7.
    Hocking was awesome.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How about 33? I think Hrbek and Morneau are comparable. Morneau had more than 5000 PAs with an OPS+ of 121. He was an All-Star four times, won two Silver Sluggers, and an MVP. Hrbek was a 128 OPS+ in 12 seasons, won two World Series and made one All-Star team. I didn't think Herbie's or Bert's numbers should have been retired, but if Hrbek's standard is the height of the bar, I think Morneau belongs as well, but maybe they can leave out the statue.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Hocking was awesome.
    No offense to you or the Hockster, but it's pretty obvious the poster you were replying to was referring to treasured Twins franchise cornerstone Scottie Ullger...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Radke was a great player over his career. He won 20 games in a single year...for the Twins. Santana won the Cy Young in a year he won only 16 games. Take a moment to digest that one. Radke deserves to be inducted into the Twins HOF. Not the MLB HOF, but the Twins HOF? YES!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    No offense to you or the Hockster, but it's pretty obvious the poster you were replying to was referring to treasured Twins franchise cornerstone Scottie Ullger...
    One of my favorite memories in Twins history is Hocking snapping a single over the third baseman with a flick of his wrist. He wasn't an All-Star, but he played hard the Twins way.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    I come to these boards to be entertained sometimes. I love reading people completely dismissing the idea of retiring Radke's number. Radke's numbers stand up well to Kaat and Blyleven. Radke was the shining light of the late 1990s. Radke never said the word "me" in his entire career - can't say that about Bert. In his final season Radke basically pitched with a broken arm during the long stretch drive (we put guys on the DL for 'fatigue' now). Evaluating guys for these things is more than looking at the sum total of their statistics. I'd say go for it.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Wow..I'm not sure if his number should be retired, but Radke was a great pitcher. My mind is blown that he's being dismissed as "not special" or "epitome of a Twins pitcher".

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Radke was at least as good of a pitcher as Hrbek was a first baseman.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    Wow..I'm not sure if his number should be retired, but Radke was a great pitcher. My mind is blown that he's being dismissed as "not special" or "epitome of a Twins pitcher".
    I think great is pretty exaggerated. I love Radke, but a guy who is off the HOF ballot after his first year of eligibility isn't great. He was very good but had an ERA under 4.00 only four times.

I'm not sure how proud I would be of retiring the number of guys who are the "epitome of a Twins pitcher," that's not very high praise. I might even call it a derogatory statement. That's why #57 will be the next number retired by the Twins. Santana was definitely not the epitome of a Twins pitcher, that's why he was two-time Cy Young winner. If Kaat and Viola aren't getting their number retired, Radke shouldn't.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    How about 33? I think Hrbek and Morneau are comparable. Morneau had more than 5000 PAs with an OPS+ of 121. He was an All-Star four times, won two Silver Sluggers, and an MVP. Hrbek was a 128 OPS+ in 12 seasons, won two World Series and made one All-Star team. I didn't think Herbie's or Bert's numbers should have been retired, but if Hrbek's standard is the height of the bar, I think Morneau belongs as well, but maybe they can leave out the statue.
    Agree on Hrbek and Bert, but I don't think it is fair to use Hrbek as the bar for future players. I think they made an exception for him because of the two WS and being a local guy and fan favorite. IMO retired numbers should go to superstars who show a commitment to staying with the team and Mauer is the only one that meets that criteria.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Radke was at least as good of a pitcher as Hrbek was a first baseman.
    I for one was never sold on Hrbek getting his number retired. I wasn't against it, but it seemed as much to do with his status as a hometown hero as anything else. However, he was a better player than Radke. At the very least, he was a vital cog of the World Series teams.

I want the elite numbers retired, the guys who fans of other teams would also revere as great players. Basically Hall of Famers or those that we may view as close enough for consideration.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I for one was never sold on Hrbek getting his number retired. I wasn't against it, but it seemed as much to do with his status as a hometown hero as anything else. However, he was a better player than Radke. At the very least, he was a vital cog of the World Series teams.

I want the elite numbers retired, the guys who fans of other teams would also revere as great players. Basically Hall of Famers or those that we may view as close enough for consideration.
    I'm not arguing for the exclusion of Hrbek as much as the inclusion of Radke. If you want to judge the player by postseason success, Hrbek wins. But Radke significantly out-WARs Hrbek, so I don't believe Hrbek is a better player.

If Radke was originally from Minnesota, he'd already have his number retired.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 142 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Radke was a great player over his career. He won 20 games in a single year...for the Twins. Santana won the Cy Young in a year he won only 16 games. Take a moment to digest that one. Radke deserves to be inducted into the Twins HOF. Not the MLB HOF, but the Twins HOF? YES!
    I'm not quite sure what we are supposed to be "digesting"?
    Wins are a team stat, and not something that a pitcher has much control over.

Liked 1,290 Times in 744 Posts
    Radke is in the Twins hall of fame. Minnesota Twins Hall of Famers | twinsbaseball.com: History

Retiring his number is another consideration altogether. I'm not sold on it but I'm not totally opposed either.

(Seems like the two concepts were getting confused somewhere up above).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast